Justjake

Tourist visa to K-1 visa with a lie

294 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Justjake said:

Are the answers to questions asked during an interview written down or noted when the question isn't on the application?

Example, if she is asked how much she makes a year, is that documented for later reference, and can a request of those notes be made?

Do you think/did she tell you she told other inconsistent details?

Filed: Timeline

@justjake 

I actually spoke to a casual online acquaintance who is a USCIS officer and before I was able to explain the specifics he offered this-

paraphrasing-

You will marry and file 130. Must fill out truthfully- so any previous marriages and divorces- she has none. 130 is basically verifying the relationship qualifies. Should not have any issues getting approval.

Case will go to NVC. You fill out ds260 (160 is for non immigrant 260 for immigrant) On it there is a question about have you ever sought to obtain or assist others to obtain a visa by fraud. She will have to answer yes and provide an explanation. This is where you need the attny to help. 

He was then unclear on what happens next but I got the impression that the case will be sent to the Embassy where they will interview her and deny her based on that yes and explain if she can get a waiver. 

She can not say NO on the 260 or it will make it worse. 

So I guess you at least have an idea of the how and where this will be disclosed. I'll try to catch him again next time I see him online and maybe he will have enough time to explain further- but you really should speak to an immigration attny about this rather then trying to figure it out on your own. Often its easier to take info from a qualified source and research it then to start from scratch. 

5 minutes ago, Damara said:

@justjake 

I actually spoke to a casual online acquaintance who is a USCIS officer and before I was able to explain the specifics he offered this-

paraphrasing-

You will marry and file 130. Must fill out truthfully- so any previous marriages and divorces- she has none. 130 is basically verifying the relationship qualifies. Should not have any issues getting approval.

Case will go to NVC. You fill out ds260 (160 is for non immigrant 260 for immigrant) On it there is a question about have you ever sought to obtain or assist others to obtain a visa by fraud. She will have to answer yes and provide an explanation. This is where you need the attny to help. 

He was then unclear on what happens next but I got the impression that the case will be sent to the Embassy where they will interview her and deny her based on that yes and explain if she can get a waiver. 

She can not say NO on the 260 or it will make it worse. 

So I guess you at least have an idea of the how and where this will be disclosed. I'll try to catch him again next time I see him online and maybe he will have enough time to explain further- but you really should speak to an immigration attny about this rather then trying to figure it out on your own. Often its easier to take info from a qualified source and research it then to start from scratch. 

That is a huge help, particularly the DS-260.  

Any additional insight you can offer will be appreciated.

In reference to attorneys, do you think I should narrow it down to those that focus on waivers?

Getting married February 2019 prior to filing I-130

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 11/7/2018 at 2:10 PM, ThomasNC1988 said:

My reasoning is an approved I-130 has a lot more staying power than a 129f as an immediate relative on a USC has some legal standing where a fiance is pretty much just someone you know.

Except it's just a paper. You can get married with someone you know from a week ago or be a fiance of someone you know for the past 10 years. That's why proof of bonafide relationship is needed in both cases, even one is legal already and the one is not yet.

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 hours ago, Damara said:

Case will go to NVC. You fill out ds260 (160 is for non immigrant 260 for immigrant) On it there is a question about have you ever sought to obtain or assist others to obtain a visa by fraud. She will have to answer yes and provide an explanation.

Ok.  That makes some sense.  That would provide a path through the "provide documentation of termination of previous marriage" issue.....getting to the interview stage has been the tricky part to this point....

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
13 hours ago, Damara said:

You fill out ds260 (160 is for non immigrant 260 for immigrant) On it there is a question about have you ever sought to obtain or assist others to obtain a visa by fraud. She will have to answer yes and provide an explanation. This is where you need the attny to help.

@Justjake, here is the full question; https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260 Exemplar.pdf page 60:

Have you ever sought to obtain or assist others to obtain a visa, entry into the United States, or any other United States immigration benefit by fraud or willful misrepresentation or other unlawful means?

After selecting "Yes", an explanation is required.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

15 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Do you think/did she tell you she told other inconsistent details?

From everything we have discussed, only the visitor visa containing a married marital status despite not being married, there have been no other inconsistent details. (That I know of)  She has been extremely transparent about herself.

Filed: Timeline

Just make sure you consult with an attny BEFORE filling out the ds260. Whatever you say as an explanation is going to scrutinized so you need to choose the words carefully. Best to use an attny experienced in waivers- specifically experienced in misrep/fraud rather then overstay or other issues. 

53 minutes ago, Damara said:

Just make sure you consult with an attny BEFORE filling out the ds260. Whatever you say as an explanation is going to scrutinized so you need to choose the words carefully. Best to use an attny experienced in waivers- specifically experienced in misrep/fraud rather then overstay or other issues. 

Thank you.  Do you think I should consult one before filing the I-130?  

I don't see anything on that tripping us up.

Good point on misrepresentation/fraud as opposed to overstay. Thanks for that tip. 

• 5 weeks later...

Quick question..

I assume that once we get denied for a marriage visa, her visitor Visa will be revoked as well because of will full misrepresentation/ fraud.

Is that a correct assumption?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would not expect it it to take that long.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You think it can be revoked sooner?  

At what point in the process of an I-130 would they revoke her visitor Visa?

Do you know if they send her a letter informing her?

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Justjake said:

Quick question..

I assume that once we get denied for a marriage visa, her visitor Visa will be revoked as well because of will full misrepresentation/ fraud.

Is that a correct assumption?

Revoked or not, it would not be wise to attempt entry into the US with a fraudulently obtained B2.......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well I have never heard of someone receiving a letter.

I have seen these 3:

Being called into the Consulate to have it cancelled

Find out when they checked in to fly that it had been revoked

Being bounced by Immigration when they attempt to enter.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well I have never heard of someone receiving a letter.

I have seen these 3:

Being called into the Consulate to have it cancelled

Find out when they checked in to fly that it had been revoked

Being bounced by Immigration when they attempt to enter.

Same here.  I recall those methods also, but not a letter.....I have seen a few posters whose relatives thought their B2s were still valid because they never received a letter.  They found out differently once they arrived at the border....or tried to board.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.