jeszy

When can i get a US Passport?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hi, my Hungarian passport expires in 2020. I would like to travel tho.

(Now i am: on K1 visa, married, have SSN, filing the AOS)

Do i have to go back and renew it?

When can i get US passport?

Thanks

Edited by jeszy

1 minute ago, jeszy said:

Thanks

You can ONLY get a US Passport after you get approved for Naturalization, which is after you get approved for AOS, and file for ROC later then Naturalization. So roughly 4 years from now at the earliest. 

You can travel any time you want internationally as long as you have a Green Card or AP while AOS is processing. 

Timeline
Just now, Cyberfx1024 said:

You can ONLY get a US Passport after you get approved for Naturalization, which is after you get approved for AOS, and file for ROC later then Naturalization. So roughly 4 years from now at the earliest. 

You can travel any time you want internationally as long as you have a Green Card or AP while AOS is processing. 

Okay so i have to go back and renew my Hungarian passport then. Thank you for the quick answer. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Thanks

You first need to become an US citizen.

You will be eligible for citizenship 90 days prior to your 3 year residency anniversary and if you are married with the same spouse which you gained conditional residency through and remain married at the time you’ll have the oath ceremony.

N-400/Naturalization application

Spoiler

·         10/30/2019 - Filed N-400 Online - Case Was Received and A Receipt Notice Was Emailed

·         10/31/2019 - NOA 1 dated October 30 available online

·         11/02/2019 - Status Changed to Biometrics Appointment Was Scheduled

·         11/04/2019 - NOA 1 dated October 30 in the mail

·         11/04/2019 - Biometrics Appointment notice dated November 1 available online

·         11/08/2019 - Biometrics Appointment notice dated November 1 in the mail

·         11/21/2019 - Biometrics Appointment

·         11/21/2019 - Status Changed to Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

·         12/30/2019 - Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled

·         12/31/2019 - Interview notice dated December 30 available online

·         01/06/2020 - Interview notice dated December 30 in the mail

·         02/06/2020 - Interview at local USCIS Office - APPROVED

·         02/06/2020 - Status Changed to Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled

·         02/12/2020 - Status Changed to Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed

·         02/13/2020 - Naturalization notice dated February 12 available online

·         02/18/2020 - Naturalization notice dated February 12 in the mail

·         03/11/2020 - Naturalization Ceremony - US CITIZEN!

·         03/11/2020 - Status Changed to Certificate Of Naturalization Was Issued

US Passport application

·         03/11/2020 - Applied for US Passport at local USPS with expedite service

·         03/16/2020 - Received email that Application is In Process

·         03/17/2020 - Check was cashed

·         03/23/2020 - Received email that Application is Approved

·         03/26/2020 - Received the Passport Book in the mail

·         03/27/2020 - Received the Certificate of Naturalization in the mail

Okay so i have to go back and renew my Hungarian passport then. Thank you for the quick answer. 

You can renew it at the Hungarian Embassy or Consulate here in the USA. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 minutes ago, jeszy said:

Americans can renew their passports in another country if they are working or living there. Can't you renew your Hungarian passport in the USA at a Hungarian consulate?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

You can renew it at the Hungarian Embassy or Consulate here in the USA. 

Yeah i wish but i am on Guam tho, its really far better off just going back to Europe and do it there. 

1 minute ago, James D said:

Americans can renew their passports in another country if they are working or living there. Can't you renew your Hungarian passport in the USA at a Hungarian consulate?

Yeah i wish but i am on Guam tho, its really far better off just going back to Europe and do it there. 

(same reply for you)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Can you not do it by mail?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

is there not a hungarian embassy in guam?

Married: 09/01/02016

I-130 sent: 11/21/2016

NOA1 received: 11/25/2016

NOA1 hard copy: 11/30/2016

NOA2 hard copy: 09/21/2017

NVC received: 10/01/2017

DS-261 completed: 10/06/2017

AOS paid: 10/11/2017

IV fee paid: 10/20/2017

DS-260 completed: 10/25/2017

AOS/IV mailed: 10/26/2017

AOS/IV received: 10/31/2017

CC12/06/2017

Interview: 02/20/2018   AP:(

2nd Interview: 02/25/2019 (It was a STOKES!! I think I surprised them because I all ready had a trip planned over there to see him!!!)

Visa in hand! 08/12/2019

Arrived in US: 10/10/2019

10 year green card: 11/08/2019

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
2 minutes ago, tiyyo said:

is there not a hungarian embassy in guam?

apparently the Hungarian embassy in Washington DC covers Guam too. There is a website. probably will give you answers unless you want to go to Hungary to renew your passport.

Married: 09/01/02016

I-130 sent: 11/21/2016

NOA1 received: 11/25/2016

NOA1 hard copy: 11/30/2016

NOA2 hard copy: 09/21/2017

NVC received: 10/01/2017

DS-261 completed: 10/06/2017

AOS paid: 10/11/2017

IV fee paid: 10/20/2017

DS-260 completed: 10/25/2017

AOS/IV mailed: 10/26/2017

AOS/IV received: 10/31/2017

CC12/06/2017

Interview: 02/20/2018   AP:(

2nd Interview: 02/25/2019 (It was a STOKES!! I think I surprised them because I all ready had a trip planned over there to see him!!!)

Visa in hand! 08/12/2019

Arrived in US: 10/10/2019

10 year green card: 11/08/2019

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 hours ago, alexpop13 said:

You first need to become an US citizen.

You will be eligible for citizenship 90 days prior to your 3 year residency anniversary and if you are married with the same spouse which you gained conditional residency through and remain married at the time you’ll have the oath ceremony.

For clarification as I've seen a couple different quotes here, is it 3 years from POE, or 3 years from Marriage date?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

For clarification as I've seen a couple different quotes here, is it 3 years from POE, or 3 years from Marriage date?

• 3 years from POE entry with any immigrant visa** and married* to a USC at time of naturalization; or
  • 3 years of both GC status (any category/situation) and married* to a USC at time of naturalization

*Same USC from beginning of 3 year period

**i.e. IR-1/CR-1, IR-2, IR-5, F2A, etc. (remember, K-1 is a non-immigrant visa)

If above does not apply:

• 5 years from POE entry with any immigrant visa*; or
  • 5 years from AOS approval* (any category/situation)

*Child Citizenship Act of 2000 kids don't need to naturalize (i.e. there is no minimum wait time) because they automatically become citizens when specific conditions are met

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, TM92 said:
  • 3 years from POE entry with any immigrant visa** and married* to a USC at time of naturalization; or
  • 3 years of both GC status (any category/situation) and married* to a USC at time of naturalization

*Same USC from beginning of 3 year period

**i.e. IR-1/CR-1, IR-2, IR-5, F2A, etc. (remember, K-1 is a non-immigrant visa)

From USCIS, https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/naturalization-spouses-us-citizens:

To be eligible for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) of the INA, an applicant must:

• Be 18 or older
  • Be a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
  • Have been living in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse, who has been a U.S. citizen during all of such period, during the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application and up until examination on the application
  • Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application
  • Have continuous residence in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
  • Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization until the time of naturalization
  • Be physically present in the United States for at least 18 months out of the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
  • Be able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (also known as civics)
  • Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law

For more information, see USCIS Policy Manual Citizenship and Naturalization Guidance.

Edited by TM92

Timeline
16 hours ago, jeszy said:

Los Angeles is a shorter flight time than Hungary by 4 hours: https://losangeles.mfa.gov.hu/eng/page/conditions-for-issuing-a-hungarian-passport

Timeline
10 minutes ago, TM92 said:

Los Angeles is a shorter flight time than Hungary by 4 hours: https://losangeles.mfa.gov.hu/eng/page/conditions-for-issuing-a-hungarian-passport

Odd, I don't see LA on the appointment system: https://ifr.mfa.gov.hu/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.