John & Rose

Can we help this woman?

20 posts in this topic

This was in the CR/IR thread but it probably would be better answered here...

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well, I think we have helped her. We're advising that she not over stay on her tourist visa.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Mean is kind of self explanatory honestly... regardless of the "sham" or "scam" annulment process done, if it wasn't done..not like scams are unheard of in the Philippines...... again if it wasn't done, then yes, her current marriage is voided. Kind of simple. They need to go redo the whole annulment process or divorce, whichever and will take time. Is what it is.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

28 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I suspect a scam but not the one that is being purported and discussed.   No basis, just a feeling 

I agree.  To many inconsistencies and I am looking at the husband who probably always knew he was married and thought he wouldn't get caught.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
52 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I agree.  To many inconsistencies and I am looking at the husband who probably always knew he was married and thought he wouldn't get caught.

Or cold feet and is looking to get himself out of a situation he no longer wants to be a part of

YMMV

I didn't read the thread fully. From what I read, she married him in the US, but she wants to marry in the Philippines? Then, she finds out the guy was married in the Philippines but the marriage wasn't actually annulled? If she's already in the US, why is she worried about marital status in the Philippines?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Timeline
15 minutes ago, lierre said:

I didn't read the thread fully. From what I read, she married him in the US, but she wants to marry in the Philippines? Then, she finds out the guy was married in the Philippines but the marriage wasn't actually annulled? If she's already in the US, why is she worried about marital status in the Philippines?

Because marriage is worldwide recognition.   If married in one country,  married in all

YMMV

15 minutes ago, lierre said:

Because she can’t adjust her status unless she is married to an US citizen. If he is still married to his first wife then legally he can’t be married with her also. If he is married in the Philippines then he is still married regardless where he lives in the world.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Because marriage is worldwide recognition.   If married in one country,  married in all

Just now, NuestraUnion said:

Because she can’t adjust her status unless she is married to an US citizen. If he is still married to his first wife then legally he can’t be married with her also. If he is married in the Philippines then he is still married regardless where he lives in the world.

Interesting. I heard anecdotes that annulment in the Philippines is really expensive and takes long, and that's why people don't even bother with it. And so I was under the impression that that wouldn't matter. Not sure what that was about now! That's definitely fraud.

This woman could easily check for marital status I believe. Check CENOMAR for the woman the guy was apparently married to. Unless, he was totally lying to her and just wants an easy out. 

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

The way I read it is she married an American while she was on a tourist visa then realized that the marriage was not legal since he was already married. She may be out of status and they found out when he was going to file the CR-1

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 minute ago, lierre said:

Interesting. I heard anecdotes that annulment in the Philippines is really expensive and takes long, and that's why people don't even bother with it. And so I was under the impression that that wouldn't matter. Not sure what that was about now! That's definitely fraud.

This woman could easily check for marital status I believe. Check CENOMAR for the woman the guy was apparently married to. Unless, he was totally lying to her and just wants an easy out. 

Yes, it is true that annulment in the Philippines is tedious and expensive. But just forgetting about it doesn’t allow people to marry again. To get around getting an annulment in the Philippines, most simply file for divorce in another country. In the case of the guy in the mentioned thread, he could file for divorce from his first wife right here in the US and the American government would recognized the divorce. The ironic thing about it is that The Philippine government would recognize the divorce also. 

In the thread read the woman stated that they know her “husband” is still married because the annulment process was never filed for. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

8 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Yes, it is true that annulment in the Philippines is tedious and expensive. But just forgetting about it doesn’t allow people to marry again. To get around getting an annulment in the Philippines, most simply file for divorce in another country. In the case of the guy in the mentioned thread, he could file for divorce from his first wife right here in the US and the American government would recognized the divorce. The ironic thing about it is that The Philippine government would recognize the divorce also. 

In the thread read the woman stated that they know her “husband” is still married because the annulment process was never filed for. 

8 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

The way I read it is she married an American while she was on a tourist visa then realized that the marriage was not legal since he was already married. She may be out of status and they found out when he was going to file the CR-1

I have a bad feeling this woman was scammed. I am afraid she may be out of status and is at risk for being trafficked due to her status. 

Thanks for clarifying my confusion with this case. And I agree, the man could have easily filed for divorce in the US, but is clearly misleading her.

Audre Lorde

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, John & Rose said:

This was in the CR/IR thread but it probably would be better answered here...

Just a FYI John- if you come across a thread that seems like it would be better off somewhere else use the report button on any post in it and in the why are you reporting box that pops up leave a note for the mod asking them to move it to xyz subforum for better help. And optional- leave a note on the thread that you asked it to be moved so multiple people dont end up reporting it asking for it to be move. You dont want to make multiple threads on the same topic. Or you can also tag people you suspect will be able to help in a post by typing @ and their username.ex @John & Rose Most people have notifications set default which tells them when their username is mentioned in a topic.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.