Umka36

Trump: End birthright citizenship for some US-born babies

180 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Shiran said:

Immigrants do not come to US to have child. They come for multitude of reasons, economical being one of them. Those who are asylum seekers are not illegal btw. The recent trend is actually wealthy Chinese legal tourist who do come here specifically for the purpose of giving birth to American citizen child. They have no intentions of staying though, and stay within bounds of their tourist visas, returning back to China afterwards. If anything, it will be a hit to niche economy that now exist supporting these services. It cost about $20K for the duration of birthing stay. What is commonly referred as "illegal immigrants" while some, naturally, do end up giving birth on US soil, are generally not motivated by that concern. As matter of fact number of such incidents has been declining last 10 years. Also US citizen child is unable to sponsor parents until child is 21, so this is not a magical gateway for chain migration. 

FT_16.10.10_BirthsToUnauthorizedImmigrants2.png

They are illegal if they by-pass the legal POE and cross into the country without inspection.  Regardless, of if people come here to purposefully have an anchor baby or not, there probably should be some changes and maybe it should be run through the court system to see if an amendment change is necessary.  One thing I wonder about those that may come to have a child in the US and then leave, do they know that their now US citizen child is subject to paying income taxes to the US in the future?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

16 hours ago, Satisfied said:

Unauthorized immigrant vs. illegal immigrant.  Which sounds worse?  Why?  

Legal resident immigrant, never heard of an authorized resident immigrant.  Again... why?

Depends on the type of news you read... Clealy the government regularly uses different terms than that of the anti-immigrant groups. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

Depends on the type of news you read... Clealy the government regularly uses different terms than that of the anti-immigrant groups. 

Anti-immigrant?  Who on this site is against legal immigration?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.newsweek.com/feds-raid-maternity-hotels-birth-tourists-777643

FEDS RAID 'MATERNITY HOTELS' WHERE TOURISTS PAID UP TO $80K TO GIVE BIRTH IN U.S.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

ONLY 3.5% of the 2014 US population — this Pew Research Center estimate even included immigrants with temporary protected status, asylum seekers, and those who are protected under DACA... so the actual percentage for the Mexican mother and her “anchor baby” scenario is even smaller.

Source for the above statistic & methodology of how the estimates were made: http://www.pewhispanic.org/2016/09/20/overall-number-of-u-s-unauthorized-immigrants-holds-steady-since-2009/

Crazy, isn’t it? I was under the impression the number would be higher, too, with all the rhetoric against these people... you would think they’re stealing people’s jobs from under their nose. And you would think they would have babies left & right as soon as they get to the US.

Edited by lierre

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Timeline
5 minutes ago, lierre said:

ONLY 3.5% of the 2014 US population — this Pew Research Center estimate even included immigrants with temporary protected status, asylum seekers, and those who are protected under DACA... so the actual percentage for the Mexican mother and her “anchor baby” scenario is even smaller.

Source for the above statistic & methodology of how the estimates were made: http://www.pewhispanic.org/2016/09/20/overall-number-of-u-s-unauthorized-immigrants-holds-steady-since-2009/

Crazy, isn’t it? I was under the impression the number would be higher, too, with all the rhetoric against these people... you would think they’re stealing people’s jobs from under their nose. And you would think they would have babies left & right as soon as they get to the US.

How can they be Immigrants if they fall into that category?

So circa 10,000,000.

So if they were a State they would be about 8th in Population.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

How can they be Immigrants if they fall into that category?

So circa 10,000,000.

So if they were a State they would be about 8th in Population.

It’s a best estimate. 

“The unauthorized immigrant estimates in this report are produced using a multistage method that first subtracts the estimated U.S. lawful foreign-born population from the total adjusted foreign-born population to derive a residual estimate of the unauthorized immigrant population. Then, the residual estimates serve as control totals in assigning legal status to individual respondents in the survey. The main source of data for 1995-2004 is the March supplement of the Current Population Survey, and for 2005-2014 it is the American Community Survey; both are conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau; see Methodology for more details.”

A quick read of the methodology would have been available in this link had you clicked it: http://www.pewhispanic.org/2016/09/20/overall-number-of-u-s-unauthorized-immigrants-holds-steady-since-2009/

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

Timeline
1 minute ago, lierre said:

It’s a best estimate. 

“The unauthorized immigrant estimates in this report are produced using a multistage method that first subtracts the estimated U.S. lawful foreign-born population from the total adjusted foreign-born population to derive a residual estimate of the unauthorized immigrant population. Then, the residual estimates serve as control totals in assigning legal status to individual respondents in the survey. The main source of data for 1995-2004 is the March supplement of the Current Population Survey, and for 2005-2014 it is the American Community Survey; both are conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau; see Methodology for more details.”

A quick read of the methodology would have been available in this link had you clicked it: http://www.pewhispanic.org/2016/09/20/overall-number-of-u-s-unauthorized-immigrants-holds-steady-since-2009/

I am not disputing the numbers, probably higher now.

3 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Anti-immigrant?  Who on this site is against legal immigration?

Anti immagrant can mean alot of things, inclding being in support of legislation against immagrants in general. 

And..

Trump is going pretty deep with those anti immgrant initiatives. 

Timeline
Just now, Keith & Arileidi said:

Anti immagrant can mean alot of things, inclding being in support of legislation against immagrants in general. 

And..

Trump is going pretty deep with those anti immgrant initiatives. 

Bit odd as he is married to one. I see this all the time from the MDL but nothing to support it.

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

I am not disputing the numbers, probably higher now.

Likely not.

If you look at this trend data and then add latest analyses of the American Community Survey (ACS) data:

7 hours ago, Shiran said:

Immigrants do not come to US to have child. They come for multitude of reasons, economical being one of them. Those who are asylum seekers are not illegal btw. The recent trend is actually wealthy Chinese legal tourist who do come here specifically for the purpose of giving birth to American citizen child. They have no intentions of staying though, and stay within bounds of their tourist visas, returning back to China afterwards. If anything, it will be a hit to niche economy that now exist supporting these services. It cost about $20K for the duration of birthing stay. What is commonly referred as "illegal immigrants" while some, naturally, do end up giving birth on US soil, are generally not motivated by that concern. As matter of fact number of such incidents has been declining last 10 years. Also US citizen child is unable to sponsor parents until child is 21, so this is not a magical gateway for chain migration. 

FT_16.10.10_BirthsToUnauthorizedImmigrants2.png

1 hour ago, lierre said:

FYI re: ACS -- it's public-use and was collected by the Census Bureau from 2012 to 2016. If you're hoping for the most reliable 5-year estimates, ACS data is your best tool.

Audre Lorde

Timeline

And 4 years old and when it comes to it they do not know.

All we need to know is that it is a large number.

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

And 4 years old and when it comes to it they do not know.

All we need to know is that it is a large number.

The US Census is decennial.

And statistic sampling-driven and very methods-focused -- which is a lot more than can be said of conspiracy theorists and myth propagators.

That's the beauty of science.

Edited by lierre

Audre Lorde

9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Bit odd as he is married to one. I see this all the time from the MDL but nothing to support it.

So?

Trump is married to an immagrant yet he runs on an anti-immigrant platform. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, lierre said:

The US Census is decennial.

And statistic sampling-driven and very methods-focused -- which is a lot more than can be said of conspiracy theorists and myth propagators.

That's the beauty of science.

I have always been able to add up.

More science:

the-day-before-the-2016-us-presidential-

1 minute ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

So?

Trump is married to an immagrant yet he runs on an anti-immigrant platform. 

Not sure what an immagrant is but not anti immigrant as he has repeatedly said so.