blackeyedsusan

Straight to citizenship?

24 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

You can always ROC, get the 10 year green card and not do anything for a while. I know a few people that have actually renewed their 10 year green card twice. It costs just about the same to renew as it would to do the N400, it just boggles the mind. I have a suspicion that the one has some criminal records and will not pass the citizenship interview, so they just keep renewing their card every 10 years to stay legal. Sooner or later I'll get bored at work and run them thru NCIC to see what pops, but I really don't care that much, so I just ignore it. I would be about citizenship ASAP, but you can ROC then take a few years off from USCIS ( I completely understand your reasoning behind that). Then file the N400 when your ready to jump into the fire again....LOL

I know people who believe they will lose their original citizenship so they dont file for US citizenship.  

I also know people who just dont want to be called US citizens.

There are also those who do not want to say the oath either so that alone prevents them.  

The "perks" do not matter to them when they feel they are saying words they dont mean. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

You can always ROC, get the 10 year green card and not do anything for a while. I know a few people that have actually renewed their 10 year green card twice. It costs just about the same to renew as it would to do the N400, it just boggles the mind. I have a suspicion that the one has some criminal records and will not pass the citizenship interview, so they just keep renewing their card every 10 years to stay legal. Sooner or later I'll get bored at work and run them thru NCIC to see what pops, but I really don't care that much, so I just ignore it. I would be about citizenship ASAP, but you can ROC then take a few years off from USCIS ( I completely understand your reasoning behind that). Then file the N400 when your ready to jump into the fire again....LOL

I wanted to become citizen ASAP, there where many things I could not do, as non citizen. Working for companies with government contracts, speak a foreign langwitch on the airwaves, own guns, I am sure there were many other restrictions for non citizens.  I think non citizens should not have all the same rights as citizens, but this is not the case anymore. 

20 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Depending on income and assets, not becoming a citizen might also be a great financial decision. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

There are clear reasons to become a citizen and many good reasons to remain an LPR.

The two reasons we pushed through to citizenship were:

1.  Ability to be in and out of the country without having to worry about staying out over six months.

2.  IF you own real estate, an LPR does NOT get the $500k spousal capital gains exemption upon the death of the USC.  Only a citizen does.  We are an older couple, and I wanted my spouse to be able to get the real estate exemption, as our real estate has appreciated quite a bit.

There are other good reasons listed in other posts (like government jobs, etc.)

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

Technically they are eligible at 3 years if thry have a) been an LPR for 3 years AND b) still married to the original petitioner for 3 years while living in a marital union (aka living together.) AND c) meet physical presence requirements. 

You need all 3. 

Well technically part b should say any USC, not just the petitioner. Some people divorce and remarry, others got their green card not due to a USC spouse, but they still qualify under the 3 year rule assuming a & c are still met.

54 minutes ago, Calicolom said:

I wanted to become citizen ASAP, there where many things I could not do, as non citizen. Working for companies with government contracts, speak a foreign langwitch on the airwaves, own guns, I am sure there were many other restrictions for non citizens.  I think non citizens should not have all the same rights as citizens, but this is not the case anymore. 

• Most companies and governments accept an LPR just as much as a USC. The notable exceptions are positions that require SECRET or TOP SECRET clearance, the VA, and a few other government agencies that are notably strict. Most federal, state, and local positions are still available. I do work with various federal, state, and local agencies (including USPS, several 3-letter agencies, etc.), and am in contact with LPRs at them regularly.
  • Not sure what speaking a language on the airwaves has to do with anything...?
  • LPRs can own guns fine. That was changed decades ago.
  • I disagree that non-citizens should have all the same rights as a citizen. First, (legal) non-citizens includes tourists, students, etc...which have not gone through the full vetting and medical and other processes as a permanent resident. Second, what would be the point of citizenship then? The main one is ability to reside abroad indefinitely...a permanent resident should (and currently does) have to maintain permanent residence in the US.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Oh my mistake. I was thinking it was 3 years after marriage, not 3 years after his green card. So yes, we'll be looking at 2020. Makes it feel more like it's worth paying for ROC if it's a whole year difference. 

K-1 Process:

12/04/15 - Engaged (L)

12/17/15 - K-1 submitted

12/31/15 - NOA1

02/09/16 - NOA2

03/16/16 - NVC case number assigned

03/17/16 - In transit to consulate

03/22/16 - "Ready" on CEAC tracker

04/14/16 - Received packet 3 by email

04/15/16 - Medical exam

04/28/16 - Interview - Approved!

05/25/16 - POE at Miami

07/08/16 - Married! (L)

08/09/16 - Filed for AOS

08/12/16 - Case received

9 hours ago, NikLR said:

Technically they are eligible at 3 years if thry have a) been an LPR for 3 years AND b) still married to the original petitioner for 3 years while living in a marital union (aka living together.) AND c) meet physical presence requirements. 

You need all 3. 

I think you're confusing the N400 part with ROC. All of what you said is valid for Naturalization for Spouses of U.S. Citizens. However, to get to that the spouse of U.S. citizen has to go through the i-751. There is no way around it or no shortcut to it. It's applying for I-751 and then Naturalization. A lot of folks just apply for ROC and then before 10yrs G.C is issued apply for N400 and become citizen before ROC. Maybe that's what you're referring to.

9 hours ago, dhman06 said:

I think you're confusing the N400 part with ROC. All of what you said is valid for Naturalization for Spouses of U.S. Citizens. However, to get to that the spouse of U.S. citizen has to go through the i-751. There is no way around it or no shortcut to it. It's applying for I-751 and then Naturalization. A lot of folks just apply for ROC and then before 10yrs G.C is issued apply for N400 and become citizen before ROC. Maybe that's what you're referring to.

I quoted the post about naturalization. I said nothing on ROC on purpose.  

If you are a CR1 you need ROC to be approved before the N-400 can be approved, so your theory about becoming a citizen before ROC is done is incorrect.  If you do choose to apply concurrently because that timeline is available, they (the USCIS) obviously dont waste time or money by printing a 10 year green card. 

However that only applies to to CR1.  IR1 spouses do not need to remove conditions and can apply for citizenship at the 3 years minus 90 days if the appropriate requirements are met. 

@geowrian was correct that i should have written original  USC petitioner.

Edited by NikLR
Small phone keyboards are the devil

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

19 hours ago, Calicolom said:

You can own a gun as an LPR.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.