SebastianOs

Doesn't meet the poverty guidelines. Need some help.

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ben&Zian said:

As mentioned, Manila embassy generally doesn't ask for the I-134... but, you always go prepared... they may not ask for it again, or they may... think a lot is determined by the information they view in the original I-129f petition, which includes work history of the last five years.... it's 50/50 whether they will ask; but also consider, if not meeting the poverty guideline, how can one support someone else? Not to be rude or offensive... but even $30,000 a year in most places is hardly enough to live. So if not even at the $22,000 or whatever it is exactly amount, that's really stretching it.. there are a lot of other expenses besides rent and food.... what about cell phone bills, car insurance, car payments, down payment on a car, ect.... this all adds up really quickly... that doesn't even include date nights, dinners, movies, ect... 

You are right to all you've said. Thanks. But we're not going to give up. I know everyone has different kind of experiences. Might work to others and might also not work on us. Just depends but We're still hope for the best and do all we can do. 

8 minutes ago, SebastianOs said:

You are right to all you've said. Thanks. But we're not going to give up. I know everyone has different kind of experiences. Might work to others and might also not work on us. Just depends but We're still hope for the best and do all we can do. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting giving up, rather trying to point out potential difficulties before they happen. Little things are magnified during this process, the better prepared you are the better you are able to whether the process

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting giving up, rather trying to point out potential difficulties before they happen. Little things are magnified during this process, the better prepared you are the better you are able to whether the process

Yeah, I know but I'm not saying it like that. I do understand all who tried to answer and shared their opinion. And I agree to all who did. That's why I post this to get some help who has experience or ideas. My fiance doing his best he can and I want to have knowledge on this things so that I can share this to him and let him know. But anyway, thanks as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Given the USEM's policy of not allowing a co-sponsor and overall attitude on the subject of petitioner's income, this seems like a pretty clear-cut case:  delay your USEM interview as long as necessary until your fiance can show evidence of current income ABOVE the poverty level required.  Think for a minute about the IO's perspective who will be making a decision on your overall financial situation at the interview:  would you approve someone's visa who will be living with a USC fiance who has a history of earning below the poverty level income, in CALIFORNIA (one of the most expensive places to live in the US)?  They are looking at the likelihood that you will become a public charge, so as others have suggested, you should delay your interview up to a year while he increases his income to above the poverty level.  If you go to the interview now, you will almost certainly be denied so why risk that?  Wait until his income increases.  You say he is working hard to increase it.  Has he looked in to driving for Uber or Lyft, or both?  I have talked to drivers, most of whom are recent immigrants, in the San Francisco area, who earn $1,000 PER WEEKEND driving for Uber.  Then they work at other jobs during the week and do very well financially.  Has he tried to get other part-time work to add to his freelance animation work?  California has a booming economy and many jobs are available.  He can do this if he really wants to bring you to the US.  The ball is his court, there is nothing you can do except encourage him.  But whatever you do, don't schedule your interview until his current income is well ABOVE the poverty level, and you can take evidence with you to prove it.  Good luck to both of you!

Edited by carmel34

52 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Given the USEM's policy of not allowing a co-sponsor and overall attitude on the subject of petitioner's income, this seems like a pretty clear-cut case:  delay your USEM interview as long as necessary until your fiance can show evidence of current income ABOVE the poverty level required.  Think for a minute about the IO's perspective who will be making a decision on your overall financial situation at the interview:  would you approve someone's visa who will be living with a USC fiance who has a history of earning below the poverty level income, in CALIFORNIA (one of the most expensive places to live in the US)?  They are looking at the likelihood that you will become a public charge, so as others have suggested, you should delay your interview up to a year while he increases his income to above the poverty level.  If you go to the interview now, you will almost certainly be denied so why risk that?  Wait until his income increases.  You say he is working hard to increase it.  Has he looked in to driving for Uber or Lyft, or both?  I have talked to drivers, most of whom are recent immigrants, in the San Francisco area, who earn $1,000 PER WEEKEND driving for Uber.  Then they work at other jobs during the week and do very well financially.  Has he tried to get other part-time work to add to his freelance animation work?  California has a booming economy and many jobs are available.  He can do this if he really wants to bring you to the US.  The ball is his court, there is nothing you can do except encourage him.  But whatever you do, don't schedule your interview until his current income is well ABOVE the poverty level, and you can take evidence with you to prove it.  Good luck to both of you!

How do you know OP is in California? Their profile says Mississippi. 

If they are actually in California, I've no idea how they are even surviving on 15 000 per year. 

Edited by Orangesapples

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

How do you know OP is in California? Their profile says Mississippi. 

If they are actually in California, I've no idea how they are even surviving on 15 000 per year. 

Sorry, my bad....  I saw California Service Center....  you are right, we don't know where the USC fiance is living now, or with whom, but regardless they will need to show sufficient income at the USEM interview.  I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

Has he looked in to driving for Uber or Lyft, or both?  I have talked to drivers, most of whom are recent immigrants, in the San Francisco area, who earn $1,000 PER WEEKEND driving for Uber.

Just as a note, those are classified as self-employment for tax purposes. As such, until one files federal taxes and claims the income, it can't be used for an I-134 or I-864 (it is revenue earned within the same year, not yet income).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

Small town in the central valley or far northern California (I think it's weird that the Bay Area is typically called Northern California when it's not much closer to Oregon than to LA)? Not even sure you could manage on that in Fresno ...

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline
12 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Thanks. But my fiance was living in Mississippi and we're planning to live there as well. Cali is our service center. But still you are right, we're also thinking about delaying our case until he reach the poverty guidelines or so. But, we'll see until then because he's so determined and surely get a job anytime soon and about Lyft driving, he can also do that he has been doing that every now and then. 

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.