HAJARMorocco

Meeting girl from morocco but small issue:) parents think she is in it just for visa... [merged threads]

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Have you asked her about the engagement and marriage process? She would probably be your best resource. 

In Morocco it is pretty common to have a small engagement party (nice clothes, tea and cookies) with close family and friends. This isn't required though. The consulate does know that traditional engagement ceremonies are a common practice. Weddings on the other hand are usually larger events, with the bride wearing multiple dresses throughout the night, lots of food and drinks, the ceremonial furniture and music, ect. But again, you can just have a legal marriage without having a big party. Talk to your girlfriend about what she wants and expects. 

What do you mean by go out freely together? You can go out together without being married...You can't stay in hotels together before marriage, but just going out and hanging out around town is fine unless her family is extremely conservative. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Whatever you don't ,  don't marry on 1st tirip

as for going out, we went to local coffee shops to watch soccer matches and for tea but most moroccan women do not go where there is a lot of men to see soccer

when we went in the car,  a lot of family went with us (only because they had a chance to travel)

you do marry the whole family so don't expect to be alone a lot

no hotel or renting an apartment unless you have a valid marriage certificate to show

as for photos of the visit make sure there is her family (mother important) in them and label names for the application

make sure the engagement party is not viewed as marriage celebration

no photos of dates and milk

no fancy moroccan wedding dresses

no henna celebration 

if she does henna keep that photo out

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
18 hours ago, abum said:

careful there, people are willing to say anything you wanna hear just to convince you :D 

not to say that you should be suspicious of her but if you spot signs where you think the relationship might have not been genuine, that she looked desperate to get to the USA, then you are just a way to get a US visa.  

agree 

as i said she promised to swear on Koran  / means nothing to most young people there as  they don't follow the religion or read the Koran

only they fast in Ramadan as the mother and sisters do not cook in the day

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Me and my husband went plenty of places before we officially got married. However, everyone is right about the staying in a hotel thing. We were forewarned to bring a copy of our marriage certificate to be able to stay in the same hotel room together. I'm not sure how much it costs for all the stamps and paperwork to get married as my husband paid for most of it and it was in dirhams. The only thing I paid for was the $100 at the Consulate in Casablanca for the affidavit for eligibility to marry. Lastly, I'm sure if you shop around you can get her a nice ring for a decent price.

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
6 minutes ago, PersaisX said:

everyone is right about the staying in a hotel thing. We were forewarned to bring a copy of our marriage certificate to be able to stay in the same hotel room together.

I'm curious, what is the workaround for this? Always booking separate hotel rooms?

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, TM92 said:

I'm curious, what is the workaround for this? Always booking separate hotel rooms?

I imagine so. On the flipside, what's stopping the man or woman from sneaking in to the others room at the end of the night so they can sleep together? I guess it would be a waste of money on the couples' part  though.

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
22 minutes ago, TM92 said:

Yes, that is often what is done. Or get a private apartment/airbnb that doesn't care if you are married or not. When my husband and I would travel around in Morocco (before we were married), there were numerous people we would pass in the street offering to rent us a private room for the night. Just goes to show that money/bribery can go a long way, no matter who religious or 'conservative' the country is. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to MENA regional forum; topic is primarily Morocco specific.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
19 hours ago, bakphx1 said:

I personally wouldn’t trust anyone I met online from certain countries, Morocco being one of them.   They portray themselves as bring religious and will play that up.  It’s just words and saying the right words is what they’re good at. They work romance sites (and others) as a full time job and know what to say as they coach each other .  I would bet my whole paycheck it’s a scam.    Is everyone terrible in that country? No.  But all the scammers work the web to meet Americans and lo and behold they’re in love instantly.  Always the same story and everyone thinks theirs  is different.

I find this incredibly insulting (as someone married to an Algerian) Why would a MENA country be any more fraudulent prone than say.....an Asian country or a Central American country? Why do middle aged women have a target on their head? 

And please do tell.....exactly how long does my husband from a “questionable country” have to stay married to me before it becomes a....you know... a real relationship....where we have a lot in common and actually love each other.....one year, 5, 10, 40?

Timeline
20 hours ago, bakphx1 said:

Is everyone terrible in that country? No.  But all the scammers work the web to meet Americans and lo and behold they’re in love instantly.  Always the same story and everyone thinks theirs  is different.

So not everyone from my husband's terrible country is a scammer but because I'm an American woman who fell in love with a Moroccan I must be a victim of a scam? Your stereotyping every single Moroccan man in a relationship with an American woman but try to get out of it under the guise of "is everyone terrible in that country? No" then spewing more hateful rhetoric.  

From your profile you appear to be a same sex couple...if harsh generalizations were forced on you based on stereotypes would that be ok? Why do I have to defend a 2.5 year relationship with a wonderful man who's never asked for a thing from me because you'd bet your entire paycheck I was being scammed? How do you justify putting others down so freely?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
37 minutes ago, janet3 said:

I find this incredibly insulting (as someone married to an Algerian) Why would a MENA country be any more fraudulent prone than say.....an Asian country or a Central American country?

17 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

So not everyone from my husband's terrible country is a scammer but because I'm an American woman who fell in love with a Moroccan I must be a victim of a scam? Your stereotyping every single Moroccan man in a relationship with an American woman but try to get out of it under the guise of "is everyone terrible in that country? No" then spewing more hateful rhetoric.  

It’s based on having read quite a bit on the subject.  I’ve had friends either scammed or attempted to be scammed by people from these countries.  A pattern emerges.  Even here on VJ there are plenty of women who find that the thoughtful caring husband changes, the day he gets his 10 year green card.  Then they dump the wife.  

The odds are not in your favor because you are more likely to cross paths with them, than with someone who doesn’t aggressively look for Americans on dating sites.  

The information is is out there.  Research it or don’t.  It’s your life.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have never been but one of my Neighbours finished her PHD over there and explained how it operated, to be fair not just the US. So few opportunites, so many looking for a way to get out.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

There's good and bad in every country, I myself have visited Morocco several times and have taken note to what @adilrafa mentioned with regard to call of prayer and most not praying. The reason I say this is because in terms of "hands on the Quran", it seems like that would not be proof of someone's sincerity. As most have mentioned, your best bet would be to visit multiple times and after some time you will see the persons true intentions , do not rush into it.

Timeline
20 hours ago, PersaisX said:

I imagine so. On the flipside, what's stopping the man or woman from sneaking in to the others room at the end of the night so they can sleep together? I guess it would be a waste of money on the couples' part  though.

My experience in this is:  If you rent a room for the night they make you pay for separate rooms.  In my case we were in Marrakesh and I was with my fiance and his two friends.  We got 2 separate rooms and they put me in the very first room with the security camera on my door and the men were put in a room way across the way  I have heard, but can not confirm, that police often go to the rooms just to make sure you are not alone with a man especially if you are Moroccan and unmarried.  

K1 Visa         DENIED 

Service Center :    California Service  Center
Transferred?        No
Consulate :        Morocco
I-129F Sent :        2017-09-25
I-129F NOA1 :    2017-10-03
I-129F RFE(s) :    2018-04-02; 2018-05-08
RFE Reply(s) :    2018-04-25, 2018-05-22
I-129F NOA2 :    2018-06-04
NVC Received :    2018-06-21
Date Case #, IIN, 
and BIN assigned :    2018-06-21
NVC Left :        2018-07-10
Consulate Received :    2018-07-13
Packet 3 Received :    2018-07-31
Packet 3 Sent :    
Packet 4 Received :    
Interview Date :    2018-09-04    

CR1 Visa         APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!

event.png

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mayi & MiMi said:

My experience in this is:  If you rent a room for the night they make you pay for separate rooms.  In my case we were in Marrakesh and I was with my fiance and his two friends.  We got 2 separate rooms and they put me in the very first room with the security camera on my door and the men were put in a room way across the way  I have heard, but can not confirm, that police often go to the rooms just to make sure you are not alone with a man especially if you are Moroccan and unmarried.  

Wow! They are serious about not letting premarital sex happen on their watch lol

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.