87 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

I have to ask whether you front-loaded your evidence of bona fide marriage with your AOS filing. This happens often when people do not send anything but the marriage certificate. (Not k-1 cases)

No. My lawyer insisted that we should send only marriage certificate as proof of our relationship. So we brought the rest of proofs like insurance, photos, bills together etc at the interview. 

I don't understand why my lawyer did that, because this seems way harder.  and I have lost faith in my lawyer and I am feeling stupid for spending money on him.

1 hour ago, Jun2580 said:

No. My lawyer insisted that we should send only marriage certificate as proof of our relationship. So we brought the rest of proofs like insurance, photos, bills together etc at the interview. 

I don't understand why my lawyer did that, because this seems way harder.  and I have lost faith in my lawyer and I am feeling stupid for spending money on him.

It's hard to say why your lawyer and a lot of lawyers do that. It sets you up for a rough interview. Think about it. Officers go through your file. If they only see a marriage certificate and no evidence of bona fide marriage AND you are not adjusting from k-1, they will likely suspect fraud. They may feel they can't trust the evidence that you are bringing to the interview.

I speculate that lawyers do that to be able to say "See...? It turned out to be a hard interview. I am glad you decided to hire me". 

There is no need to feel stupid. There is a lot of misinformation out there. Some say you just bring the evidence to the interview if filing concurrently. That is not accurate. The I-130 instructions state on page 3/12 that ALL evidence and supporting documentation is required at the time of filing OR USCIS may issue a NOID (Notice of Intent To Deny). Yet, no one reads those directions. 

You got through it. Just be patient. If your marriage is real, you should have nothing to worry about. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

14 hours ago, Jun2580 said:

Leave a review for that lawyer, Yelp Google, anywhere else people look for reviews. 

That seems highly suspect of your case.  From what I recall, our experience was completely different. We were in the room together, verified information on the application and then answered some basic questions.  

She then went over some pictures, just admiring our timeline.

Good luck to you! 

2005: Met my wife online, "Habbo Hotel" instantly became friends.

2007: Lost contact with her, as we both lived thousands of miles away.

2010: Regained contact with her, again instantly became best friends.

~At this point we'd talked about visiting the others country~

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS TIMELINE

October 16th 2010: Landed at JFK INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL 2 under Visa Waiver Program.

October 17th 2010: Nicole (now my wife) took me to manhattan and treat me like no other.

November 13th 2010: Got Engaged!

December 17th 2010: We got married!

January 14th 2011: VISA EXPIRED (No AOS papers sent yet)

February 20th 2011: Filed for AOS (Sent in I-130 / I-864 / I-485)

March 7th 2011: Received NOA for I-130 / I-485

March 18th 2011: Biometrics taken

March 26th 2011: RFE MEDICAL

April 12th 2011: Medical Sent (ouch the needles)

April 18th 2011: Medical received my USCIS

April 30th 2011: I-765 (Employment Authorization Documentation) Sent

May 4th 2011: Rejection notice I-765 (I forgot to tick "applying for first card" at top of application)

May 9th 2011: New receipt for I-765 received

June 10th 2011: INTERVIEW DATE / JULY 13th 2011

June 15th 2011: EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

June 20th 2011: EAD CARD IN HAND

June 22nd 2011: SSN APPLIED

June 24th 2011: SSN IN HAND

July 13th 2011: Adjustment of Status Interview (A P P R O V E D)

July 13th 2011: Email confirmation Card Production Ordered

July 18th 2011: Second email confirmation Card Production Ordered (-.-)

July 19th 2011: Post Decision Activity

July 23rd 2011: Green Card Arrived!!!

6 hours ago, Jun2580 said:

Yeah, I really believe that's exactly what my lawyer did to us. Sure it was nice that I didn't have to do much because my lawyer did most of the paperwork, but still, they really put us through a harder interview that we didn't deserve. I am planning to meet my lawyer in a few days, and thinking about asking why he did this to us.

Yeah at least we didn't get any NOID nor RFE. We only got courteous letter saying we haven't submitted our I-693, which my lawyer also told me to bring to the interview, instead of submitting with the application form. 

And today my status got updated from "We approved your case" to "Card was mailed to me"! I survived this!

See...? Congratulations! Now remember that you will have to file for removal of conditions 90 days before your green card expires. The table of contents on this thread is your guide. 

When you ask your lawyer why he/she did that, do mention what the instructions state on page 3/12. And say that it's on page 3/12. Lawyers really need to stop doing this to justify their fees. 

I would also submit reviews anywhere you can submit one. 

All the best,

USC4SPOUSE

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

4 minutes ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

See...? Congratulations! Now remember that you will have to file for removal of conditions 90 days before your green card expires. The table of contents on this thread is your guide. 

When you ask your lawyer why he/she did that, do mention what the instructions state on page 3/12. And say that it's on page 3/12. Lawyers really need to stop doing this to justify their fees. 

I would also submit reviews anywhere you can submit one. 

All the best,

USC4SPOUSE

Thank you!! You guys really helped me a lot and helped me go through this stress! 

Surprisingly, he had soooo many good reviews on multiple websites, and that is why I decided to go with them. However, the service I got wasn't really ideal, judging from everyone's comments on here.

I will do mention what the I-130 says under the required documents, and ask why he recommended I bring them to the interview. 

And Thank you for the I-751 guide!

Congrats!

2005: Met my wife online, "Habbo Hotel" instantly became friends.

2007: Lost contact with her, as we both lived thousands of miles away.

2010: Regained contact with her, again instantly became best friends.

~At this point we'd talked about visiting the others country~

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS TIMELINE

October 16th 2010: Landed at JFK INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL 2 under Visa Waiver Program.

October 17th 2010: Nicole (now my wife) took me to manhattan and treat me like no other.

November 13th 2010: Got Engaged!

December 17th 2010: We got married!

January 14th 2011: VISA EXPIRED (No AOS papers sent yet)

February 20th 2011: Filed for AOS (Sent in I-130 / I-864 / I-485)

March 7th 2011: Received NOA for I-130 / I-485

March 18th 2011: Biometrics taken

March 26th 2011: RFE MEDICAL

April 12th 2011: Medical Sent (ouch the needles)

April 18th 2011: Medical received my USCIS

April 30th 2011: I-765 (Employment Authorization Documentation) Sent

May 4th 2011: Rejection notice I-765 (I forgot to tick "applying for first card" at top of application)

May 9th 2011: New receipt for I-765 received

June 10th 2011: INTERVIEW DATE / JULY 13th 2011

June 15th 2011: EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

June 20th 2011: EAD CARD IN HAND

June 22nd 2011: SSN APPLIED

June 24th 2011: SSN IN HAND

July 13th 2011: Adjustment of Status Interview (A P P R O V E D)

July 13th 2011: Email confirmation Card Production Ordered

July 18th 2011: Second email confirmation Card Production Ordered (-.-)

July 19th 2011: Post Decision Activity

July 23rd 2011: Green Card Arrived!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on your approval!  I wish I had seen this sooner, since I have a coworker who helped her husband adjust status in Louisville Kentucky and they were interviewed in the same manner as you.  They also got a few questions wrong but were still approved.  They did not use a lawyer.  This was a few years ago now.

• 2 years later...
On 10/26/2018 at 11:17 PM, TNJ17 said:

This is not standard at all. They definitely suspected fraud. Most interviews are just a couple of questions for formality. I don’t mean to offend by what I’m about to say but please don’t say this is normal on a forum like this. You’re scaring people saying this is normal. This is not normal procedure. For whatever reason, and that is no one’s business, they suspected you weren’t a real couple. This is the procedure when they think the relationship isn’t genuine. A standard aos interview is nothing but a couple of questions and basically just looking over paperwork with the couple together. 

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.