PirateLiker

How much time needed between flights at POE?

33 posts in this topic

Another option here, if you are nervous (which I was), is to be creative with travel plans to make a US airport in reasonable driving distance the POE.

For example, there are direct flights to San Francisco from Europe: London, Munich, Frankfurt, and Amsterdam.       

There are also direct flights from Canada to Sacramento, but you'd have to find a decent flight (or combo of flights) to get to Vancouver.   

Some flights from Europe you won't find easily on Expedia or another US based search engine.  I use a European based travel search engine (cheaptickets.nl ) as I get to see all those little airlines in Europe that Expedia won't include. 

Edited by mtempelaar

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

My point-of-entry was LAX and had a 3 hour layover and it was too much time. But trust me, 3 hours for LAX because I landed on a morning flight and so it wasn't as busy as usual. I've landed in Chicago before as a Visa Waiver, whatever time you think you need, add 1.5 hours, even for early flights. Dallas was an awesome experience, you would probably need 2 hours. I like Dallas very much, Dallas is awesome.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
13 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Remember that at US POE passengers have to claim and then re-check their bags after clearing customs.  They will be pre-tagged to the final destination but passengers have to physically exit with them and give their checked bags to the luggage people after exit.

Adil didn't

landed in Chicago and on he went thru customs

the luggage went on to chattanooga 

and he was changing from Qatar airlines to United

and same this June

luggage on Air Canada and the was POE for US 

he then went onto to Newark and there a new airline (United)

same when i traveled from Morocco in April and back / lugguage went all the way

only time i had to pick up mine and recheck it was in  Miami when flying up from Peru

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Little_Vixen said:

I had my POE at Chicago in August. Very friendly easy going CO. My entry interview took a whopping 5 minutes, lol. But I'm European and there's no red flags as far as im aware. Not sure where your partner is coming from (on mobile today so cant see your info) but some countries get scrutinized more thoroughly.

Anyway. After that lengthy ordeal all the passengers on my flight had to wait an hour and a half to get our luggage due to some kind of problem with the luggage system. So, plan ahead. I'd say at least 3 hours.

Chicago has become one of my favorite.  Always try to fly through the airport if I can pick. Or Toronto - was very pleased  that i didn't have to worry about my luggage pick-up there.

I've also noticed, that on the weekends  prices are higher, and they are the lowest on Wednesdays-Thursdays, sometimes Fridays. Was looking for the tickets to Ukraine, for couple weeks - last weekend price was around $860.0 (Chicago-Kiev, Kiev-Chicago), and it was purchased on Wednesday for $691.0. At least, this is how things are with Lufthansa group (I'm "addicted" to them a little bit, and always try to hunt their tickets) :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I met my husband in Houston and we spent the night and flew out the next morning.  If it’s low season and flights/ hotel are not expensive, I would say it was so nice to just meet at the airport,  drop off bags and go have dinner and relax.  Especially if your spouse is not happy to navigate a layover alone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline
16 hours ago, PirateLiker said:

I am looking at flights for my fiance. I found one that has only 1.5 hours between her flight that first lands in America and the connection to my city. Am I correct in assuming this is not enough time? If not, how much time should I plan for her from when her plane lands at POE and when she connects to the next leg of the journey?

My wife did it in that amount of time for her POE (houston connecting to dallas) on one of the last intl flights of the day, but I wouldn't recommend it if avoidable. I would say 2.5 hours if possible.

Edited by Bandt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

3+ hours seems sufficient. Better to zoom through and have a couple extra hours at an airport then have a short layover that you miss, leaving you stuck at that airport for several more hours. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

I had POE in Boston last year, and had a 3,5 hour layover like I always tried to have, even as ESTA flyer.
If you're unlucky and they have a bunch of jumbo jets landing at your time....
Although the lines were short when I came through, waiting to be brought to secondary and then waiting there was long. They even came in to ask if that was my suitcase, sitting there ungrabbed forever.

Rather hang out at the AirPort and drink coffee to beat 2 hours or so than having to worry about missing the connection.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Personally I would say 3 hr minimum 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I recently had mine on 10/10 at Oakland, got first in line and done it all there and then. No secondary. I do think it depends where you plan your POE. I gave myself 5 hours lay over but immigration took 10 minutes from saying hello to welcome to America. Good luck and enjoy! 

20 hours ago, PirateLiker said:

I am looking at flights for my fiance. I found one that has only 1.5 hours between her flight that first lands in America and the connection to my city. Am I correct in assuming this is not enough time? If not, how much time should I plan for her from when her plane lands at POE and when she connects to the next leg of the journey?

You are looking for trouble.  The airlines suggest you get to the airport at least 2 hours prior to your flight.  There might be long lines in immigration and it could take hours to get through.  Then again there might be no line and it only take 20 of 30 minutes.  1 1/2  hours between flights is crazy.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

I just booked a flight too and I wouldn‘t take anything under 3 hours!

Now I‘m flying into Atlanta and I have about 4 hours until the next flight! 

I think that should be enough time 

Edited by mrmvkjts

If at all possible, I'd try to make your home airport her POE (even if that means making a connecting flight abroad, or paying more). 

I'll just put in a plug for maybe thinking about a creative, if more expensive, alternative. Perhaps just book her one way from Ukraine to wherever you like (a nicer city, cheaper flight, whatever) and meet her there.  Then separately, the next day (or after a long weekend, whatever you prefer), have her booked on the same flight as your return flight. 

I do NOT think that this is necessary and that 4+ hours should be more than sufficient at any of the airports you've listed. However, it might be nice to not stress, and for you to see her right when she lands, rather than her spending her first (? has she visited previously?) few hours in the US alone in an airport terminal stressed out about a connecting flight. This may not be possible with work schedule, finances etc, but could be a fun solution!

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you so much for the helpful help. I purchased a ticket yesterday with a 4 hour layover at the POE. But then found out it was impossible to get her cat on the 2nd flight. So I paid a $250 cancellation fee and now I'm back to square zero with no ticket. I posted a question about the cat ticket. Please reply there if you have any advice. I'm looking for someone who has done it with a pet, not just here say hopefully.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 10/26/2018 at 3:02 AM, carmel34 said:

Remember that at US POE passengers have to claim and then re-check their bags after clearing customs.  They will be pre-tagged to the final destination but passengers have to physically exit with them and give their checked bags to the luggage people after exit.

This isn't too clear to me... are you saying that if someone books a flight from Istanbul to Seattle Wa. And they stop in Denver on the way.... but their  bag was checked in Istanbul to go all the way to Seattle, you are saying that somehow they have to get their bag in Denver from the airport people who take the bags from plane to plane? They have to somehow get that bag and give it to the customs officer to have it checked and then get it somehow back to the people who work at the airport moving the baggage plane to plane?  😳😳😳

Edited by <3T&M<3

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.