PirateLiker

How much time needed between flights at POE?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am looking at flights for my fiance. I found one that has only 1.5 hours between her flight that first lands in America and the connection to my city. Am I correct in assuming this is not enough time? If not, how much time should I plan for her from when her plane lands at POE and when she connects to the next leg of the journey?

Timeline

Thanks. This makes sense. I'll look for at least 4 hours. Chicago was the one for the flight in question. Other options will probably be New York or Washington Dulles

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

One more thing...My wife's POE was DFW.......took her more than 90 minutes.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Even if plane lands on time

20 or more to taxi in 

then wait to debark

then wait for customs and immigrtion

hard to do even if all goes smoothly

and now we are entering the bad weather months with airport delays

i always allow 3 to 4 hours and hope we land on time

tell her to make sure luggage is checked to final designation (even if changing airlines) so she doesn't have to pick it up and check it in again

Timeline
14 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

tell her to make sure luggage is checked to final designation (even if changing airlines) so she doesn't have to pick it up and check it in again

I think I'll suggest that:)

Control issues in her last relationship;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
52 minutes ago, PirateLiker said:

Remember that at US POE passengers have to claim and then re-check their bags after clearing customs.  They will be pre-tagged to the final destination but passengers have to physically exit with them and give their checked bags to the luggage people after exit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, PirateLiker said:

Thanks. This makes sense. I'll look for at least 4 hours. Chicago was the one for the flight in question. Other options will probably be New York or Washington Dulles

Turkish airlines has a early landing flight in ATL (Atlanta) from Kiev. POE seems to be super fast there. My wife did the flight and even with the layover in Turkey with no problems. I would say around 45 minutes or less. Keep the luggage in 2 pieces and sealed envelope on one hand. They see that and you can be fast forwarded to the front of the line. They know it's a new immigrant and then you go to the Tripod area and boom you done if not to many people there.  

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
13 hours ago, PirateLiker said:

Hi.

adil-rafa mentioned  the bad weather season. And it made it's job in NY with my son (entered on a K2) -  his flight from Kiev was delayed due to weather there,  the flight from NY to our city got cancelled due to  weather here, and there was no flight , at all, from the airport, until next day. They still managed to land coming flights, but any take offs were not allowed. You can imagine the mess , "created" by the situation. The next morning turned into complete disaster - all those people, who stuck at the airport, were trying to get a boarding pass for the next flight....

My husband (then fiance) also had that problem once,, on his way to Ukraine.

Sure,  it can happen anywhere, but seems like East Coast is more "vulnerable" at this point :) and I'd try to avoid it. 

Also, there is no way to skip  a luggage pick-up at a POE. She will have to get  and check it in for her next flight after she is done with the Customs. 

The only time I've avoided a luggage pick up was on my way to the US through Toronto - still had to go through both, Canadian and US Customs, but the luggage traveled "through" to my final destination.

But if you are not an LPR, when a transit visa is required for Ukrainian citizen, traveling through Canada by air.

Anyway, as others said, give it at least 3-4 hours, a layover time. 

P.S. Again  - good to hear you're trying to work it out and  moving forward , guys!! 

Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
13 hours ago, PirateLiker said:

I am looking at flights for my fiance. I found one that has only 1.5 hours between her flight that first lands in America and the connection to my city. Am I correct in assuming this is not enough time? If not, how much time should I plan for her from when her plane lands at POE and when she connects to the next leg of the journey?

That is barely workable even in the best of situations.  We flew a few weeks ago from Kiev to Florida, with a connection in Paris and Atlanta.  Had a one hour delay leaving Paris.  Our scheduled layover in Atlanta was 2 hours.  Needless to say, we missed the connecting flight from Atlanta.  Couldn't get us on the next flight so we had to wait for the following flight which resulted in a 7 hour delay getting home.    So I would recommend at least a 3 hour layover.  We never fly a connection north of Atlanta in the Fall or Winter months due past experience with weather and congestion at the airports.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
14 hours ago, PirateLiker said:

I had my POE at Chicago in August. Very friendly easy going CO. My entry interview took a whopping 5 minutes, lol. But I'm European and there's no red flags as far as im aware. Not sure where your partner is coming from (on mobile today so cant see your info) but some countries get scrutinized more thoroughly.

Anyway. After that lengthy ordeal all the passengers on my flight had to wait an hour and a half to get our luggage due to some kind of problem with the luggage system. So, plan ahead. I'd say at least 3 hours.

06.01.2016 met online                                                                    

06.23.2017 met in person                                                              

12.16.2017 got engaged

K1 fiance visa

12.20.2017 K1 filed

12.22.2017 NOA-1

07.10.2018 NOA-2 (200 days)

07.18.2018 case at NVC (case number available on 07.20)

7.26.2018 case at Amsterdam Consulate

7.27-2018 P3 through e-mail

08.02.2018 medical

08.14.2018 interview APPROVED 

08.21.2018 POE

08.25.2018 💕Married 💕

AOS adjustment of status and AP/EAD 

08.27.2018 filed AOS, AP and EAD

08.30.2018 NOA-1 on all 3

9.21.2018 RFE on AOS

9.28.2018 replied to RFE

10.04.2018 biometrics appointment Louisville

11.29.2018 AOS interview Indianapolis  

01.28.2019 AOS approved

ROC removal of conditions

12.7.2020 filed ROC 

1.30.2021 NOA-1

5.28.2021 existing biometrics applied (no new biometrics done)

10.27.2021 ROC approved (no interview)

Check your case status: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

Call USCIS: 800-375-5283 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

International connections in Chicago means you'll have to change terminals. After that, you need to re-clear security, which can get long. Chicago, New York (JFK) are not the fastest airports for connections. Allow at the very least 2 hours (3 ideal).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.