zamardii12

Confused about SSN now after submitting I-485 and asking for a SSN on the I-485.

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

The only requirement is within the first 76 days. Typically within a day or two from entry your name should be in the system nowadays (it used to take up to 2 weeks).

It is suggested to apply before marriage as the SSA employees sometimes mistakenly think you can't do so after marriage without an EAD. They're wrong, but it is simpler to just not have the issue come up IMO.

You can have the name changed on the card after marriage if still in those first 76 days, although this is also hit or miss with SSA staff. It 100% is allowed, but finding somebody who knows this is the hard part.

Nope, K-1 holders are allowed an SSN. They just can't work without the EAD.

Thank you!

Since you mentioned the EAD, I have a question:

I am a freelance makeup artist and while I was in the US on my 90days visa waiver I met the owner of an Academy who offered me to work for him as one of their makeup instructors. I explained my situation and told him I’ll need my EAD to be able to legally work.

What I was wondering is if I can get any other kind of work permit while waiting for the EAD considering that I already have an employer willing to hire me? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

The marriage certificate is a legal name change document recognized by the local, state, and federal government. A Social Security Card is needed for some government services, but is not a legal name change document.

Write that you want them to do: update the name on the I-485, I-131, and I-765 to Abc Xyz for cases MSCXXXXX MSCXXXX and MSCXXXX.

Do I even have a case number or do I have to receive a NOA first? USCIS just received our info yesterday in the mail so I don't have anything except eh copies of everything I sent them. 

Just now, Lucrezia_ITALY said:

Since you mentioned the EAD, I have a question:

I am a freelance makeup artist and while I was in the US on my 90days visa waiver I met the owner of an Academy who offered me to work for him as one of their makeup instructors. I explained my situation and told him I’ll need my EAD to be able to legally work.

What I was wondering is if I can get any other kind of work permit while waiting for the EAD considering that I already have an employer willing to hire me? 

Nope...no other work permit is available other than an EAD for a K-1 holder.

If he provides a firm job offer, you can request an expedite on the EAD. But even then expect over a month at least right now...it's not fast. And I suggest not requesting it until you have completed your biometrics (since they need to be done before they can adjudicate the I-765).

Just now, zamardii12 said:

Do I even have a case number or do I have to receive a NOA first? USCIS just received our info yesterday in the mail so I don't have anything except eh copies of everything I sent them. 

You would need the NOA1s first. Good thing is you're very early in the process so they are likely to have it updated before issuing anything.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I went and applied for my SSN a week after entering. About a month and a half later still not receiving anything in the mail, I give the SSA a call and they tell me that they have to contact the USCIS to verify my status. A month after that call I get a letter in the mail saying: "We cannot issue you a Social Security card at this time because: Your legal immigration status and/or documents will expire before an SSN can be issued to you. DHS was able to clear your case, however, they also took a very long time and in that process, your visa expired."

So now, in my EAD application, I had to request that USCIS request an SSN on my behalf...

Hi everyone, am sharing my experience. I applied for SSN after getting married at SSA office and my SSN came after 4 weeks.One week before went to SSA and asked for ssn because I called them many times and nobody answered. They told me to wait for verification 4-8 weeks and 1 week later my SSN arrived by mail.I also had applied for AOS before my SSN arrives and requested on my AOS that SSA issue a SSN.As my understanding I am now on their sistem and will not be any problem that I requested a SSN on my AOS application.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.