Jump to content

Green card error CR1 to IR1

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I've been married to a US citizen for over 2 years at the time of entry in the states and both myself and 11 yr old son(his stepson) received our green cards. I received an IR1 status(valid for 10 yrs) however my son received a CR1(valid for 2 yrs). Is this something that happens often? I just would like someone to confirm that it's definitely an error and my son should have received an IR1 status like me. If I fill out an1-90 form online to correct the error, do I just mail his greencrd separately? Do I print a copy of the form and include it in the envelope that contains the card that I will mail? I also noticed that the form is asking for a signature. Who will need to sign it since he's a minor? He's never signed any other forms throughout the process aside from one at his biometrics appointment right before he was sent his greencard.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can sign for him. Make a copy of the green card before you send it in. Include copy of the marriage certificate and poe stamp proving you entered after two year marriage anniversary. 

Removal of Conditions Journey

3/3/2009 - Removal of conditions - sent off packet to CSC

3/5/2009 - I-751 received in CSC

3/9/2009 - Check cashed

3/20/2009 - Biometrics notice received (no NOA1)

4/2/2009 - Biometrics

4/9/2009 - NOA1 date (first undelivered one is 3/5)

4/3/2009 - Touch?

5/6/2009 - ROC Approval - 65 days

6/22/2009 - CRIS Card production ordered email

7/7/2009 - GC arrived!

Naturalization Journey

3/03/2010 N400 sent to Arizona Lockbox

3/15/2010 Check cashed

3/17/2010 NOA1

3/18/2010 - Biometrics notice sent

3/26/2010 Early biometrics done at an ASC different from the one assigned to (Original BIO date was 4/15)

4/30/2010 Yellow letter received and info from USCIS mil line they are working on my interview letter (6/17 appt)

5/1/2010 Text and email interview letter sen

5/6/2010 Interview letter received - scheduled for 6/17/2010 at 10:05am

6/17/2010 Interview appointment - PASSED

6/29/2010 US Citizen

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 9:10 AM, milimelo said:

You can sign for him. Make a copy of the green card before you send it in. Include copy of the marriage certificate and poe stamp proving you entered after two year marriage anniversary. 

Thank you Milimelo! I've submitted the form online and was able to upload the documents requested along with those you mentioned(green card, marriage certificate, Poe stamp, birth certificate and passport). I will go ahead and mail his green card in and will include a paper copy of the documents as well. Only thing is, submitting online only gave me  the option to select from certain questions when indicating the reason for the replacement request. I chose "DHS error..." but I wasn't able to specifically indicate anywhere what the error was(issued CR2 status rather than IR2) so how will they know what the error was? I assume that once they look over the documents they will see that based on our marriage date and date of POE, he should have been issued an IR2, but how will they even know that that's the error to look for? Really weird that the online submission doesn't allow for you to add any additional comments. Should I perhaps include a note on a separate paper with the specific reason for the error when I mail his card? I also signed as his preparer, that should be ok right? Or should it have been my husband? I had the option to select that I wasn't "an attorney or accredited representative but have prepared this application on behalf of the applicant and with the applicant's consent." That is what I selected of course! 🙂 (I figured that since I am no longer an applicant myself, given that I am now a permanent resident, that I could be his preparer but not 100% sure). 

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure I did everything right and I hope you or anyone else will be able to help. 


Thanks again! :-) 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.