Eddie & Yana

Thailand -> US B2 for Parent

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello everyone! Just wanted to say thank you, because you guys helped me get my fiancé over here 7 years ago! Since then she's become an American citizen, we have a beautiful baby girl, and she is amazing. We've been back once to visit her family in Thailand, and now her mom wants to come and stay with us for a month. Here's the situation though:

My mother in law is from a hill tribe in Thailand. She has a common-law husband, and three other children in Thailand, none of which are dependents anymore. She has never had a tax paying job, literally living in a village surviving in a community. Her husband isn't applying or coming to visit, because he is not the father of my wife (whose father died ~10 years ago). She also speaks the tribal language Lisu, and very little Thai.

We've filled out the I-134 information, and believe that's going to be sufficient, however what we are concerned about is her language ability to communicate with the interviewer.

Do they speak English to her? Do they speak Thai? Do we need to hire a translator to translate? If so, to what language? She has super limited Thai.

I also hope the fact that she's leaving her husband and her house in Thailand, and maybe that she comes from such a dramatically different culture, and the majority of her children are in Thailand will show that she's going back (which she will).

Thanks so much for the help and insight here!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

The interview can be conducted in her language.  Good luck in getting a tourist visa.  It will not be easy due to the assumption of immigrant intent.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You do not need to fill out the I-134. She does not plan to stay so why fill it out? She needs to apply for the tourist visa on her own merits, not yours. It will actually hurt her chances of a tourist visa that way.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

"Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa. "

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

For those not familiar with Thailand, how common is her dialect? There are always native official language speakers available that she can interview with, but if the language she speaks is very localized and not an official language there may not be anyone who can speak it there. Regardless, the important information is all on the visa application form anyway and the interview probably won’t change whatever decision they have reached beforehand looking at that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Please let us know how it goes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Her language is not super common, it would be like finding someone who spoke Navajo in America. There are lots of people, but not around everywhere. There is a slightly higher chance, because there are more tribal people around Chiang Mai. We are sponsoring her trip over here, but her husband, her kids, and her house are in Thailand. We live in a little two bedroom apartment, and entirely different culture and language. She is later in years (60), why would she stay?

13 hours ago, Eddie & Yana said:

We live in a little two bedroom apartment, and entirely different culture and language. She is later in years (60), why would she stay?

That is a good question. It is the same question we wonder when people who have spouses, kids, and a home in their own country but still use a nonimmigrant visa to come to the US and stay. It happens more than you think and it is the reason why it is difficult for people in some countries to obtain visitor visas.

Also, thanks for clearing up the part about sponsoring her trip and not the visa. As you know, there is no official sponsoring of a visitor visa, which is why the I-134 is useless. When you say sponsoring, you are stating that you are just paying for her trip.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

VJ is full of people who have changed their minds.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

In fiscal year 2017, the B visa refusal rate was only 20.15%........so there is hope...good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
On 10/24/2018 at 3:37 PM, britishandusa said:

You do not need to fill out the I-134. She does not plan to stay so why fill it out? She needs to apply for the tourist visa on her own merits, not yours. It will actually hurt her chances of a tourist visa that way.

How could it be a negative ? If anything I would think it would be a positive.

1 hour ago, John951 said:

How could it be a negative ? If anything I would think it would be a positive.

Why would it be a positive?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Why would it be a positive?

Like I said IF ANYTHING it would show that if anything happened this person would not be a burden on the state.... Now can you tell me how it would be a negative to supply an i-134 and letter of invitation ? 

I'm not saying supplying those docs help with the visa but I want to know why it's a negative ? 

1 minute ago, John951 said:

Like I said IF ANYTHING it would show that if anything happened this person would not be a burden on the state.... Now can you tell me how it would be a negative to supply an i-134 and letter of invitation ? 

I'm not saying supplying those docs help with the visa but I want to know why it's a negative ? 

If she has somebody willing to cover her costs while there (even go so far as providing tax returns and/or pay stubs and such to them), there is incentive not to leave. Having ties to the US is by far much more likely to be an issue (214b refusal) than public charge concerns for a tourist visa.

But beyond that, my view is it's best to follow the official statements of DOS: neither will be considered.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

If she has somebody willing to cover her costs while there (even go so far as providing tax returns and/or pay stubs and such to them), there is incentive not to leave. Having ties to the US is by far much more likely to be an issue (214b refusal) than public charge concerns for a tourist visa.

But beyond that, my view is it's best to follow the official statements of DOS: neither will be considered.

That's if that put much weight on a i-134 as keeping someone in the U.S.. Maybe a person has strong ties to their home country and they are just poor and from a poor country and would need whomever they are visiting to pay for ticket's etc.

Plus on the DOS website they state " If you cannot cover all the costs for your trip, you may show evidence that another person will cover some or all costs for your trip."  How are you suppose to show you evidence you will help with costs ? On a simple letter ? A promise to buy plane tickets ? Wouldn't an Affidavit of support be more evidence to show you willingness to cover costs ? On the i-134 you can make the statement as to the reason of the i-134, plane tickets, hotels. travel insurance, as seen on VJ guidelines.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.