msham

Passport Return: Canada Post strike

326 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Bezasimon said:

I had my interview on Monday and went back to pick up they told me  the passport is not ready yet but on the visa status says issued.

I picked up my stuff on Monday and the lady said they were backed up in general due to the strike aka replying to emails, updating websites, and finalizing visas, so maybe send them a quick email in a few days?

Edited by SR_CAN

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

PSA: To those who recently had interviews or have interviews coming up, I would ask them for specific instructions regarding document pickup BEFORE going to the consulate. Just because your CEAC tracker says "Issued" doesn't mean your passport is ready yet. They are a bit behind on stuff at the consulate, so it may take a few days longer.

A few of us had interview 10/17, but our visas were issued the day after because the strike hadn't taken off yet. I would give it an extra week before contacting!

11 hours ago, f2a_ca said:

Thanks for prompt response. If I wait till the strike is over, will it be too late? How soon will the visa expire? 

6 months after the medical. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I emailed the embassy as well. Generally they respond within a day or two but it's taking long this time. Tempted to go to Embassy. I wonder if I go & the visa isn't ready, would they give me an option to pick it up or leave it there till it's stamped ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
16 hours ago, Silf said:

Ours was just put under administrative processing status according to CEAC. I don't understand what's going on. My fiance was told at his interview that we were approved, given the pink slip welcoming him to the United States, etc. This is very frustrating.

Same with ours as of this morning. The person we authorized to pick it up for us was told this when she went to the consulate this morning.

How many others?

Two possibilities -- they're preparing the packages for courier shipment, or the tRump administration is interfering to stop all possible immigration.

1 minute ago, longboat said:

Same with ours as of this morning. The person we authorized to pick it up for us was told this when she went to the consulate this morning.

How many others?

Two possibilities -- they're preparing the packages for courier shipment, or the tRump administration is interfering to stop all possible immigration.

His actually changed to issued this morning. Hopefully an email with pickup instructions comes soon!

Timeline
14 hours ago, f2a_ca said:

I interviewed on 10/22 and got email on 10/30 saying my passport is ready but I need to go to Montreal to pick it up or wait till the strike is over. 

Are Fedex and UPS also on strike? Can I ask Fedex/UPS to pick up my passport on my behalf? I cannot easily go to Montreal now, so difficult...

Based on others' experiences, if they've said you can pick it up, you can authorize a friend or relative in Montreal to pick it up for you.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Silf said:

His actually changed to issued this morning. Hopefully an email with pickup instructions comes soon!

Did his change to AP come with a message something like "administrative processing which may take several weeks"?

Timeline

So did my Fiancee -- as in 5:30am phone calls, texts, e-mails (my phone was on Airplane mode overnight -- 🙁).

ETA - And Bingo! The status has now gone to "issued".
When my cousin went to pick the package up today (& it wasn't ready, the door security people said pickup hours were 10am to Noon.

ETA #2 - They sent us instructions on how to pickup.Text of E-mail: 
"We are contacting you in relation to your recent U.S. visa application.

Due to a possible postal service interruption we will be unable to ship your documents to you for the moment.

For this reason, we are offering you to pick up your documents in person at the time and place listed below:

- Date: November 2 , 2018, from 10:00am to 12:00 pm

- Place: 1155 rue St-Alexandre, Montréal, Québec , H3B 1Z1

If you were issued a red pickup ticket, please bring it with you at pickup.

If you were not issued a red ticket, you must bring this email (printed or electronic) with you at pickup and present it at the consulate.

If you cannot make it at the given date, you are free to come Monday to Friday, from 10:00am to 12:00 pm

If you cannot make it, a friend or family member can pickup for you. They must provide the email or red ticket and a government issued photo ID at the time of pickup.

If it is not convenient for you and you prefer to wait until the postal services are reestablished, you do not need to take any actions. We will ship your documents as usual once the service is reestablished.

If you have already picked up your passport, please disregard this email

For any questions, please contact our official U.S. Visa Information services at: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/information/contact_us "

Edited by longboat
Add info

12 minutes ago, longboat said:

So did my Fiancee -- as in 5:30am phone calls, texts, e-mails (my phone was on Airplane mode overnight -- 🙁).

ETA - And Bingo! The status has now gone to "issued".
When my cousin went to pick the package up today (& it wasn't ready, the door security people said pickup hours were 10am to Noon.

ETA #2 - They sent us instructions on how to pickup.Text of E-mail: 
"We are contacting you in relation to your recent U.S. visa application.

Due to a possible postal service interruption we will be unable to ship your documents to you for the moment.

For this reason, we are offering you to pick up your documents in person at the time and place listed below:

- Date: November 2 , 2018, from 10:00am to 12:00 pm

- Place: 1155 rue St-Alexandre, Montréal, Québec , H3B 1Z1

If you were issued a red pickup ticket, please bring it with you at pickup.

If you were not issued a red ticket, you must bring this email (printed or electronic) with you at pickup and present it at the consulate.

If you cannot make it at the given date, you are free to come Monday to Friday, from 10:00am to 12:00 pm

If you cannot make it, a friend or family member can pickup for you. They must provide the email or red ticket and a government issued photo ID at the time of pickup.

If it is not convenient for you and you prefer to wait until the postal services are reestablished, you do not need to take any actions. We will ship your documents as usual once the service is reestablished.

If you have already picked up your passport, please disregard this email

For any questions, please contact our official U.S. Visa Information services at: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/information/contact_us "

Thanks for the update. We haven't gotten an email yet. Hopefully soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.