msham

Passport Return: Canada Post strike

326 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Mevora said:

Why didn't you email the embassy directly.  

I did! Twice actually haha. I emailed through their website inquiry form and also their actual email... @msham and I both did, but we haven't gotten a reply yet.

Timeline

Hey everyone, I just called the Montreal number on this site: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/iv/information/contact_us

They lady told me that the consulate has put a hold on all mail being sent out until the strike is over. She informed me that if we have not received an email with tracking, our passports are still at the consulate in Montreal. Until the strike is over they are setting up dates for pickup, which means you have to fly to Montreal to retrieve your passport. This seems quite absurd to me, so I'm not sure if this is entirely true. I also asked if the consulate had plans to use another mail service, like Purolator, and she said no and that this was the only method they planned on using until the strike is over.

Thoughts? Can someone else give them a call and report back?

Edited by SR_CAN

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, SR_CAN said:

Hey everyone, I just called the Montreal number on this site: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/iv/information/contact_us

They lady told me that the consulate has put a hold on all mail being sent out until the strike is over. She informed me that if we have not received an email with tracking, our passports are still at the consulate in Montreal. Until the strike is over they are setting up dates for pickup, which means you have to fly to Montreal to retrieve your passport. This seems quite absurd to me, so I'm not sure if this is entirely true. I also asked if the consulate had plans to use another mail service, like Purolator, and she said no and that this was the only method they planned on using until the strike is over.

Thoughts? Can someone else give them a call and report back?

Well that's a better answer than they gave me. Did she say if they were going to email us with dates?

Timeline
Just now, msham said:

Well that's a better answer than they gave me. Did she say if they were going to email us with dates?

That's what she said. They are going to send us dates via email for pickup. @MariahK got an email twice regarding her pickup. 

Honestly, I just want my passport back so I'm actually considering flying from Vancouver->Montreal to retrieve it.

Timeline
Just now, Mevora said:

For the folks who selected premium, they are fine I assume. 

I don't think the people who chose home delivery have received their passports yet. It seems like they are getting emails for pickup in Montreal though...Not sure what is going to happen to the rest of us who selected courier delivery.

Timeline
1 hour ago, SR_CAN said:

That's what she said. They are going to send us dates via email for pickup. @MariahK got an email twice regarding her pickup. 

Honestly, I just want my passport back so I'm actually considering flying from Vancouver->Montreal to retrieve it.

If your ceac says issued and you haven't received an email regarding the pick up date (they also state they will ship the passport out once the strike is over) I would honestly think they might have mailed it... because that is weird. Unless they really are just a mess lol. 

You need to have the email to be able to pick up your passport, otherwise I don't know if they will give it to you. (Mine only has my full name on it, no other personal information). So I wouldn't make any plans to fly out yet lol! 

March 2015 : Met Online (tumblr)

12/04/2017 : I-129F Packet Sent

12/07/2017 : NOA 1 Received

06/18/2018 : NOA 2 Received (194 days)

08/08/2018 : Packet 3 received

08/29/2018 : Packet 4 received

10/17/2018 : Interview - APPROVED! (314 days)

11/06/2018 : Visa in hand

11/06/2018 : POE - Montreal, Ontario 

From sending of I-129F petition to POE - 573 days.

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

Timeline
Just now, MariahK said:

If your ceac says issued and you haven't received an email regarding the pick up date (they also state they will ship the passport out once the strike is over) I would honestly think they might have mailed it... because that is weird. Unless they really are just a mess lol. 

You need to have the email to be able to pick up your passport, otherwise I don't know if they will give it to you. (Mine only has my full name on it, no other personal information). So I wouldn't make any plans to fly out yet lol! 

Maybe? But if passports were mailed, wouldn't we have gotten a tracking number via email? Who knows...they could be a mess LOL

Yeah! I don't think anyone can retrieve passports unless they have the email with their name on it. Maybe they are setting up pickup for home deliveries first before mail couriers?

Timeline
19 minutes ago, SR_CAN said:

Maybe? But if passports were mailed, wouldn't we have gotten a tracking number via email? Who knows...they could be a mess LOL

Yeah! I don't think anyone can retrieve passports unless they have the email with their name on it. Maybe they are setting up pickup for home deliveries first before mail couriers?

Yeah, I would assume you would. So it's so weird. They're just a mess lol. 

That could be possible, since we did pay a fee for it. But I don't know at this point lol! 😢

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, MariahK said:

Yeah, I would assume you would. So it's so weird. They're just a mess lol. 

That could be possible, since we did pay a fee for it. But I don't know at this point lol! 😢

I still wonder why would Home deliveries be impacted since they're not through Canadapost I assume

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Mevora said:

I still wonder why would Home deliveries be impacted since they're not through Canadapost I assume

I know!! It's driving me nuts. Nothing make sense. I'm so mad at Canada Post lol they just need to agree to their workers terms so we can move on lol! 😲 

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Tbh I don't mind picking up the passport from the embassy either. In my case it still says AP even though they requested for the passport. Does us visa info website updates after you have sent the documents? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.