msham

Passport Return: Canada Post strike

326 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We had our K1 interview on the 17th and the CEAC website says the passport has been issued. How long after issuing did it take for most of you to receive tracking information? Worried with Canada Post potential strike that it could delay pick up.

Timeline

To add to my previous post...was anyone informed of how they would pick up passport that was supposed to be mailed? I'm waiting to hear back from consulate via email.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/beginning-october-17-2018-no-document-deliveries-via-canada-post/

October 17, 2018

NO DOCUMENT DELIVERIES VIA CANADA POST

Due to the possibility of a delivery disruption by Canada Post resulting from a labor dispute, the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa and its Consulates will temporarily suspend the use of Canada Post to return documents to applicants, beginning October 17, 2018.

In the event of a strike by Canada Post workers and to avoid having your passport or documents being delayed or inaccessible through the postal services, beginning October 17, 2018 the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa and its Consulates will suspend the use of Canada Post.  Applicants should be prepared to collect their document in person or as instructed at the time of their interview. This will help ensure there are no delays in receiving your U.S. passport or U.S. visa.  If you were previously issued a document that you are expecting to receive by mail, the U.S. Embassy and its Consulates will make every attempt to return the document to you by mail.  If this is not possible, you will be contacted with further instructions.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, msham said:

To add to my previous post...was anyone informed of how they would pick up passport that was supposed to be mailed? I'm waiting to hear back from consulate via email.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/beginning-october-17-2018-no-document-deliveries-via-canada-post/

I had my interview the same day. Which province are you from? I'm in Ontario, and it seems like the strike will only effect a couple provinces this week. 

March 2015 : Met Online (tumblr)

12/04/2017 : I-129F Packet Sent

12/07/2017 : NOA 1 Received

06/18/2018 : NOA 2 Received (194 days)

08/08/2018 : Packet 3 received

08/29/2018 : Packet 4 received

10/17/2018 : Interview - APPROVED! (314 days)

11/06/2018 : Visa in hand

11/06/2018 : POE - Montreal, Ontario 

From sending of I-129F petition to POE - 573 days.

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm thinking... if we had our interview on the 17th, maybe they were sent out in the last batch of Canada Post deliveries? I don't know haha I hope we get them soon

Timeline

Has anyone recently emailed the consulate regarding the Canada Post strike and heard back?

I submitted an inquiry via their website yesterday asking for an update on my passport return! 

- Eager AF K1 beneficiary 😫

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mevora said:

I saw this! But I was wondering if anyone has reached out to see where their passport is currently since this update was posted last week!

Edited by SR_CAN

Timeline
Just now, Mevora said:

No Idea. Mine says AP with last update on 16th 

On the CEAC tracker? or the Ais visa website where you booked your interview?

Bleh - I hope we get our passports soon!

Man Canada is really taking a beating between the new police certs and now this...

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Interview 3/27/2019 (Approved)
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:
Filed I-485, I-131, I-765 6/21/2019

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

EAD/AP Approved 11/12/2019

Interview 2/20/2020 (Approved pending missing medical)
Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022
Text message received 2/22/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022
Biometrics Waved 3/28/2022

Timeline
3 hours ago, SR_CAN said:

Has anyone recently emailed the consulate regarding the Canada Post strike and heard back?

I submitted an inquiry via their website yesterday asking for an update on my passport return! 

- Eager AF K1 beneficiary 😫

I emailed through both CEAC and the consulate directly. CEAC sent me a generic auto-reply

Auto-Reply  

Dear Applicant,

The document status information only appears once your personal documents have been returned by the Embassy or Consulate for shipment to your designated courier location. We were informed that your passport is still being processed at the Embassy.

As the time it takes to adjudicate an applicant's case is at the sole discretion of the consular section, unfortunately we cannot provide you any information regarding when your personal documents will be turned over to the courier.

We would advise you to keep checking your applicant summary page and/or follow the instructions provided to you by the interviewing officer to determine the status of your application.

Thank you,

The Contact Desk Support Team

CEAC website shows passport has been issued and if haven't received in 5 business days to contact. I contacted ahead of that just to make sure it wouldn't be delayed by strike.

And even though the consulate normally responds within one day, they have not responded yet today.

Edited by msham

Timeline
3 hours ago, msham said:

I emailed through both CEAC and the consulate directly. CEAC sent me a generic auto-reply

CEAC website shows passport has been issued and if haven't received in 5 business days to contact. I contacted ahead of that just to make sure it wouldn't be delayed by strike.

And even though the consulate normally responds within one day, they have not responded yet today.

Thanks for the insight! 

Your interview was on the 17th as well right? I emailed them yesterday, but I feel like they could be backed up a little. I’m sure they’re receiving a bunch of emails regarding this. I wish they said something to us the day of our interview since we were physically there at the consulate at the time they posted that update! 

Edited by SR_CAN

Timeline
25 minutes ago, SR_CAN said:

Thanks for the insight! 

Your interview was on the 17th as well right? I emailed them yesterday, but I feel like they could be backed up a little. I’m sure they’re receiving a bunch of emails regarding this. I wish they said something to us the day of our interview since we were physically there at the consulate at the time they posted that update! 

Yep. Interview was the 17th. I'm also wondering why they didn't say anything at the window unless they just didn't know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.