Ngyeu78

CR1 Journey.....Success! Now what??

21 posts in this topic

I am happy to say she was approved at her interview. There is no guide for what comes next.

From what I have pieced together:

1. Wait for the packet from Embassy to arrive in about a week.

Content of packet (Passport, Visa, Seal envelop to be open by US customs)

2. After arriving, wait a couple of days for USCIS to mail us I-797c. Then paying a fee. A month later she will get her green card in the mail.

3. Get SSN https://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

4. After 3 years, she can apply for naturalization.

I heard I may need to get married again in the USA within 90 days, but I think this only applied for K1. Am I right?

Any additional advice or correction needed in my understanding?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ngyeu78

Current Timeline:

08/26/2020 - Mailed via USPS the form i-751 to Az address

08/28/2020 - Delivered to USCIS

09/02/2020 - Photo Album was rejected and returned.

09/12/2020 - CC payment taken.

09/13/2020 - Received text msg with the Receipt #

09/25/2020 - Received i-751 NOA

8 minutes ago, Ngyeu78 said:

I heard I may need to get married again in the USA within 90 days, but I think this only applied for K1. Am I right?

Correct, you are already married.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Just now, Ngyeu78 said:

I am happy to say she was approved at her interview. There is no guide for what comes next.

2. After arriving, wait a couple of days for USCIS to mail us I-797c. Then paying a fee. A month later she will get her green card in the mail.

3. Get SSN https://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Any additional advice or correction needed in my understanding?

Thanks in advance!

You have to wait until you get the passport with visa, you will get an A number where it is advisable that you use to pay the greencard fee of $220 before your wife enters the us. Greencard will be mailed as well as ss card. No need to get married again. Congratulations. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Ann&James said:

You have to wait until you get the passport with visa, you will get an A number where it is advisable that you use to pay the greencard fee of $220 before your wife enters the us. Greencard will be mailed as well as ss card. No need to get married again. Congratulations. 

Is the new immigrant still required to mark the box on the DS-260 requesting a Social Security Card?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

54 minutes ago, Ngyeu78 said:

—> Might be closer to 2 weeks. My mom was interviewed on Oct 1st. Visa was issued Oct 16th. EMS got the package Oct 18th morning. Visa in hand by that afternoon. 

Do not by plane tickets until you have that visa in hand.

—> Well, at 2 years (within 90 days before her 2 years anniversary of entering the US) you have to apply for removal of her conditions to get the 10 years Green Card. This is actually very important because if you don’t, she will lose her permanent resident status 

Edited by kid1412

Just now, missileman said:

Is the new immigrant still required to mark the box on the DS-260 requesting a Social Security Card?

Yes you have to mark the box but if you don't receive the ss card you can always visit the ss office.

24 minutes ago, missileman said:

We did.

Current Timeline:

18 minutes ago, kid1412 said:

—> Might be closer to 2 weeks. My mom was interviewed on Oct 1st. Visa was issued Oct 16th. EMS got the package Oct 18th morning. Visa in hand by that afternoon. 

Do not by plane tickets until you have that visa in hand.

haha I bought the tickets even before her interview. She is scheduled to fly in about a month after her interview. 2 weeks shouldn't be a problem.

I am crazy, i know.

Current Timeline:

1 hour ago, Ann&James said:

Really? Awesome tip! A number is found on her visa? I will be able to pay this online? Also what is the website address? Name/number of the forms? 

Thank you!

-----------------

I think I found my answer.

Edited by Ngyeu78

Current Timeline:

Just now, Ngyeu78 said:

Really? Awesome tip! A number is found on her visa? I will be able to pay this online? Also what is the website address? Name/number of the forms?

Thank you!

When you get the visa there will be a document with all the instructions.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Since you were married August 2017 she will only receive a 2 year green card and you will have to apply for removal of conditions 90 days prior to her green card expiration.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

9 hours ago, Ngyeu78 said:

A month later she will get her green card in the mail.

3. Get SSN 

My SSN card came automatically within 3 weeks (that included the Christmas holiday). My green card took 63 days. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Longer term, begin doing what you’ll need to get ROC.  Joint bank account, credit card, insurance, , utilities,  adding as beneficiary to policies, etc.   All humdrum and easy to put off.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.