Sign in to follow this  
chlosicles

Is visitors insurance worth it?

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, apologies if this is the wrong area, but it’s another kind of question about health insurance!

I will be flying over to the US soon and we’re planning to get married within the first month of me arriving. Now, I know I can’t be added to my partners health insurance until I start the AOS process, but even then I might have to go my own route for that. But in the mean time is Visitors insurance worth it or is it just a big scam? My partner is worried about being completely insurance less just in case something major happens that is out of our control (car accident, run over, catastrophic things). 

I was looking at Patriot America, but I’m a little confused if you’re even able to get insurance whilst on a K1 visa, and if it’s just a complete waste of money. 

How quickly after filing for AOS are you able to look at the market place for health insurance? Is it worth just staying inside and becoming a hermit until that moment?

All help is appreciated :)

Edited by chlosicles

K1 JOURNEY.
I-129F sent:
31st Jan 2018 | NOA1 Recieved: 13th Feb 2018 | NOA2 Recieved: 15th Aug 2018 | At NVC: 4th Sep 2018 | At Embassy: 21st Sep 2018 | Medical: 15th Oct 2018 | Interview: 30th Oct 2018 | K1 Issued: 2nd Nov 2018 | Flight to him<3: 4th Dec 2018 | Wedding<3: 4th Jan 2019

I can’t edit it again, but basically what I’m trying to say is am I completely uninsurable until I get AOS

Is there nothing I can get in that interim time just in case something happens?

K1 JOURNEY.
I-129F sent:
31st Jan 2018 | NOA1 Recieved: 13th Feb 2018 | NOA2 Recieved: 15th Aug 2018 | At NVC: 4th Sep 2018 | At Embassy: 21st Sep 2018 | Medical: 15th Oct 2018 | Interview: 30th Oct 2018 | K1 Issued: 2nd Nov 2018 | Flight to him<3: 4th Dec 2018 | Wedding<3: 4th Jan 2019

Good question and I had not gone through this situation yet but I'm going to take a guess.

Right now there is no penalty for not having any health insurance. On the other hand, it may be a bit difficult to get insurance alone assuming it asks for SSN if you don't have any but calling around may give you some help and once you are able to across several companies you can compare prices and the coverage that best suit your needs.

On the other hand, you have no issue of getting any health insurance if some will provide based on your situation I guess. Not working? I just might have a bad idea of using traveler health insurance until then.

Other may have better ideas. I want to hear them.

K-1 Visa process
Sent packet: August 10, 2018

USCIS Received package: August 14, 2018 - Follow the Sun!
Notification in text/email: August 17, 2018

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.