caphoto

Applying for Citizenship while overseas

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

We are being stationed overseas and I called USCIS to see if I could apply for naturalization from there but they said no, you can only apply from inside the US. Is this correct information? I’ve read so many things that say otherwise so I’m confused. It would suck to have to wait another 3+ years to apply.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, caphoto said:

Hi all,

We are being stationed overseas and I called USCIS to see if I could apply for naturalization from there but they said no, you can only apply from inside the US. Is this correct information? I’ve read so many things that say otherwise so I’m confused. It would suck to have to wait another 3+ years to apply.

Thanks!

Yes,  you can file for Naturalization overseas because you will be stationed abroad. When are you looking to move? Look into filing for 319B expedited naturalization with the orders for being stationed abroad.

1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yes,  you can file for Naturalization overseas because you will be stationed abroad. When are you looking to move? Look into filing for 319B expedited naturalization with the orders for being stationed abroad.

Thanks, that’s what I thought! We are moving in a couple weeks (last minute orders) so I won’t have time to file in advance sadly but I could do it once we are settled.

7 hours ago, caphoto said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

That’s odd that you got that answer. Check out this link: https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter4.html

As long as you’re on the orders as the dependent, you should be able to file. If not, staying overseas while your spouse is there on orders will still count as time in US residence. 

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You can file from overseas, collect fingerprints at your new base and send it in sealed envelope with all paperwork together. I'm going through this proccess now. BUT you have to fly to states for interview and oath, and apply for passport (if you are file under 319b)

If you have been  LPR for 3 year, you married for 3 years, and your spouse is US citizen no less then 3 years then you can file and go through the consulate here overseas, its 316A, if i'm not mistaking. Anyway, you definitely can apply.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 10:19 AM, Aqualika said:

You can file from overseas, collect fingerprints at your new base and send it in sealed envelope with all paperwork together. I'm going through this proccess now. BUT you have to fly to states for interview and oath, and apply for passport (if you are file under 319b)

If you have been  LPR for 3 year, you married for 3 years, and your spouse is US citizen no less then 3 years then you can file and go through the consulate here overseas, its 316A, if i'm not mistaking. Anyway, you definitely can apply.

Only militariy spouses can have interviews at the consulate overseas provided they have been married and green card holders  for required period of time. All the rest gov civilians included will need to fly to the US for the interview 

Edited by Lenchick

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.