#Brava

AOS Interview - I don’t know what to think

7 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone!

I want to apologize if my question is stupid but we just can’t help ourselves sometimes when we’re stressed about something. 

We had our I-485 interview (from k1) yesterday in New Orleans, LA! First of all, It lasted a lot longer than we anticipated, about 20-30 minutes. We were sworn in at first and then we were asked questions from I-485 to verify my identity, including some of those yes/no questions. While answering those question I realized that I made a mistake when filling the form out. There was a question in there saying “Have you ever been denied a US visa?” and for some reason I completely missed that and aswered “no” but I did correct myself during the interview and I told the officer about the last time I was denied. After all those questions, he started asking us about our relationship. Here’s some of the questions:

- When did you meet and where?

Spring 2016, on twitter

- Can you explain in more details? 

I dmed my wife and later on we exchanged our phone numbers and started texting and FaceTiming

- when and where did you meet in person? 

My wife visited me in Russia in December 2016

- When did you move in together?

As soon as I got to the United States

- Where and when was the wedding? 

July 17, at our lake house

- Where do you live now? 

We live in my wife’s house

- Does anyone live with you?

Yea, my mother-in-law

- Are you currently employed?

No

- what about your wife? 

(I explained to him what her job was)

- Is your name on the house? 

No, we’re selling it cuz we’re about to move to NYC plus the house is still financed and there’s no way to change the deed

- Why are you moving? 

Job opportunities for us and also I might go back to school.

After questioning us, he asked if we had something to add to our case and so we did. We gave him our photo book with the all the pictures we took since I arrived in the United States. We also provided statements from two of our bank accounts, business and personal, water, light and phone bills, our joint tax return for 2017, letters from friends and family with both of our names on it, affidavit letters of support from our friends and family and copies of our driver’s licenses with the same last name and address on them. 

At the end I asked him if he needed my medical and he asked if it was more than a year since the last one to which I said “yes” so I gave it to him. I also asked if he was going to take my EAD/AP card but he said there’s no point in that since it’s gonna expire in less than 2 months which is how long it’s probably gonna take for me to get my green card if I’m approved. He also said they needed to get some background checks done so I should just wait for more information in the mail which should take about 2 - 3 weeks. That’s about it when it comes to our interview. 

We walked out of there being really confused. We still have no idea if we were approved or not. It’s been a day since the interview now and the case status hasn’t changed. It still says “Interview was scheduled”. I would say the interview went well, the officer was really nice and professional. He even told me about how he went to school to learn Russian and he even spoke some for us. I just had a feeling that he was new or something since I had to be the one to remind him about my medical and ead/ap card. The fact that he never took my combo card is what stresses me out. It seems like they’re not done with us or something. 

Can you guys let me know what you think about our interview? Does sound like we were denied/approved etc.? We’re really stressed right now and we have no idea what to think. 

Thank you so much!!! I appreciate all the help I can get! 

It is quite normal to not be approved on the spot. Especially if it was a newer officer, a supervisor may have to approve it first.

I was never asked to give them my EAD/AP, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Try to be patient, hopefully you will hear something soon!

Here’s an update!

I just got a notification (about 30 hours after the interview) that “New Card Is Being Produced”. Does it mean we are approved? 

12 minutes ago, #Brava said:

Here’s an update!

I just got a notification (about 30 hours after the interview) that “New Card Is Being Produced”. Does it mean we are approved? 

Yes! Congrats!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Congrats!

Thank you for the update on how your interview went. We have ours tomorrow morning, so I am going through posts to make sure we have all the proof we can provide.

I wish someone would make one giant post of interview experiences for AOS from K1; or does that exist and am I just missing it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.