JamesySofia

My k-1 wife's ex spouse.

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

International travel is far different from domestic travel.  Unless limited by court order, in my state, the parent with current custody/visitation can take the child wherever he/she wants without the need to seek approval of the other parent.  I, unfortunately, know a parent who will file for unwarranted emergency protective orders (which are generally automatically granted) in order to have possession of a child for a vacation that was scheduled for the other parent's time for possession. It will take months to get the hearing for the final determination and involve child services, interviews with grandparents, friends, child, as well as parents.   Every single one has been determined to be unfounded.

Given the disparities in incomes between the US and Columbia, it is unlikely that the father will be able to make many trips to see the child.  It will be interesting to know if child will return to his country of birth to visit his mother's family and whether mom will arrange time for dad. There is no guarantee that mother's family will receive visit visas to the US. If mom and stepdad fund grandparent visitation, they should fund dad's and dad's parents.

I see this as a long term, contentious situation unless both parents cooperate and stepdad stops interfering with the relationship.  Note, he not mom posted the original question. The loser is the child who has lost the physically close relationship with most of his family - both mom's and dad's - in the move.

18 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

OP:

The advice has been given multiple times for your spouse to seek a family lawyer. That would be the best recourse. It would also be wise for the father to try to obtain a visa to visit the children.

There is a saying we like around here: "There are always three sides to a story - his, hers and the truth."

I will not fault you, like another person has, for asking questions and trying to be respectful to YOUR WIFE and her children, whom I am sure you care for because you love their mother. It is absolutely fine to love them and want the best for them. You mentioned in the thread that the father was not involved in their lives before they moved. It is possible that now that they are gone, he has realized that he should have spent more time when them when they were around.

Suggest to your wife that while you are seeking a family lawyer, the children should have supervised video chats with their father - IF it is something THEY are comfortable with. It has nothing to do with you or your wife. The kids do have a father, he does have rights, and from a very personal level I plead with you to let them have a relationship with him if if it something that would be healthy for them. My sisters do not speak to my father because their mother is vengeful and controlling. I would hate to see that happen to another father, just because the parents are unhappy with him.

Good luck to you. To anyone who disagrees with me: take a walk.

It feels like old home here today!  I love seeing these old friends from the past!

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Guess I'm a simpleton, but their biological father signed away his rights in a legally enforceable document. That is the end of it, if the children want to get to know him, when they turn 18 they can do whatever they want, until then the biological father is SOL. Don't sign anything that you don't want to. I'll take a bullet to the head before I sign anything I don't want to, but that's just me. If he really wanted to see his children, he didn't have to sign away his rights, and they would still be with him.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Reading replies here...keep in mind that VJ members are not lawyers and have no experience with your situation.  I wouldn’t do anything without consulting an attorney, and ask the kids what they want and base your decisions on that.  Your one and only guide in decision making is “what’s best for the kids?”  

11 minutes ago, bakphx1 said:

Reading replies here...keep in mind that VJ members are not lawyers and have no experience with your situation.  I wouldn’t do anything without consulting an attorney, and ask the kids what they want and base your decisions on that.  Your one and only guide in decision making is “what’s best for the kids?”  

We might not be lawyers, but it is always a good idea to contact a lawyer when dealing with international custody situations. 

9 hours ago, JamesySofia said:

My wife from Colombia recieved her k-1 Visa along with her children a couple months ago, and we have since got married, and her ex-spouse has started to become a thorn in our side.

When he signed his letter of consent he was pressured by his parents to give a request that he would be able to contact them by phone, which was agreed to, his parents were very involved with the children (though he was not,  and never contacted them). Since they have arrived he has called every day (which is not the point) but if/when his call is not received initially he will call repeatedly. As we explained to him we are all busy, his children are not the only ones we are caring for and sometimes we cannot answer. He tends not to appreciate that and feels he is being ignored purposely, and though my wife has custody of the children I am given to understand in Colombia the father always retains some rights after the divorce.

So, he has started to request they come visit him soon, and we are worried he will make it impossible for the children to return. So my question is: Do the children need his consent every time they want to come back to the USA and can he legally detain them if they are to travel back to CO?

Probably they will require his permission. Better to get a court order allowing them to leave before hand, or a sworn statement. Retaining them in the US, can be a problem even in the US if he sues for breach of custodial agreements. Remember the kids, your wife and the ex, are all Colombian citizens. And colombian judgements are valid even in the USA. Consult a family lawyer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

9 hours ago, CEE53147 said:

YOU need to start putting the best interest of the children first and facilitate the relationship with their father rather than try to put roadblocks to it.

Uhhhh.... if the mother has full custody and the father has never contacted the children AND the mother has found a new love who is supportive and taking those children in as his own then... ummmm......

Yeah... I can't even waste more words on your jibberish.

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

4 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Guess I'm a simpleton, but their biological father signed away his rights in a legally enforceable document. That is the end of it, if the children want to get to know him, when they turn 18 they can do whatever they want, until then the biological father is SOL. Don't sign anything that you don't want to. I'll take a bullet to the head before I sign anything I don't want to, but that's just me. If he really wanted to see his children, he didn't have to sign away his rights, and they would still be with him.

Where did you get that the bio dad signed away his parental rights?   The OP stated that he signed the consent for their mother to bring them to live in the United States.   That does not terminate his rights as their father.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Where did you get that the bio dad signed away his parental rights?   The OP stated that he signed the consent for their mother to bring them to live in the United States.   That does not terminate his rights as their father.

I believe that would give her full custody of the children ( at least if she was smart she got full custody) then what he wants wouldn't matter.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

43 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

I believe that would give her full custody of the children ( at least if she was smart she got full custody) then what he wants wouldn't matter.

That's not how that works.  Custody and parental rights are not interchangeable.  One parent can have full legal, residential custody while the other retains his/her status and rights as a parent.

Edited by Jorgedig
typo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.