JamesySofia

My k-1 wife's ex spouse.

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
2 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

I read it as they are being overly cautious and they too have rights. But I can't deny the fact of what you say about the father's rights where I agree with you. There should be a happy medium. But, IMHO I wouldn't do it with out counsel. There are two sides to the story and we only have their side.

The attorney should have been consulted long before the marriage. Stepdad needs to get out of the situation and do nothing to hinder the relationship of the children to their father as he seems intent to do.

1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

If they are married and her children are under 18, he does have a step child/step father relationship.  That does have rights and responsibilities.

A step parent has inherently no rights or responsibilities.  In the event of a divorce, a step parent is not generally ordered to pay child support.  A step parent cannot sign legal documents on behalf of the child. Unless a step parent adopts a child, the birth parents are the child's legal guardians/parents. Adoption terminates a birth parent's rights and responsibilities.

11 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

Then in your state, mom would have to notify dad every time SHE takes them out of state.

Correct. I had to be notified EVERY TIME my ex wife took them out of state.  They are older now so we dont need that anymore.  I also notified her when I took them out of state.  It is required by law.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not much of a problem where I am could be challenging in say Delaware.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

International child custody/visitation is difficult when the parents are in agreement and there is no outside interference. In this case, OP is interjecting himself and seems to be trying to control dad's access to the children.

He did not indicate whether dad has a US tourist visa and can even come to visit in the US and does not want them to return to their home country to visit their father.  Dad is entitled to have second thoughts about allowing his children to relocate - especially since he is being denied access to the children at his convenience not at a step parent's control.

Mom needs a family law attorney with experience in international custody/visitation issues. It is better late than not at all.

8 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

A step parent has inherently no rights or responsibilities.  In the event of a divorce, a step parent is not generally ordered to pay child support.  A step parent cannot sign legal documents on behalf of the child. Unless a step parent adopts a child, the birth parents are the child's legal guardians/parents. Adoption terminates a birth parent's rights and responsibilities.

This is true.  In my case, both biological parents have allowed me power of attorney to make emergency medical decisions for the kids if they are not available.  I trust them and they trust me.  It was done by legal consul.  I don't want to adopt AJ because he is the last of his father's bloodline.  Aira wants me to adopt her.  We will decide that later when we are all together.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

9 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

It seems like you may have a unique perspective on this situation.  Maybe it is much closer to your heart than it is to ours.  We are lucky that the biological father is involved in their lives and I encourage that.  We all try to get along and so far everything is fine.  I also know of many stories that aren't quite as nice.  Biological fathers that kidnap their children at night and hold them hostage in the Philippines is somewhat common.  So are biological fathers that never supported their children until word of an annulment comes up and then they see that as a way to extort money.  We don't know this situation but it should always consider what is best for the children first.

That is because you understand the importance to children to have both parents involved in their lives. You are to be commended!

In the US a parent whose rights have not been terminated cannot "kidnap" his/her own child. They can interfere with custody. "Kidnap" implies much more than a parent inappropriately denying the other parent contact with the child.

5 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

This is true.  In my case, both biological parents have allowed me power of attorney to make emergency medical decisions for the kids if they are not available.  I trust them and they trust me.  It was done by legal consul.  I don't want to adopt AJ because he is the last of his father's bloodline.  Aira wants me to adopt her.  We will decide that later when we are all together.

You are simply relating to OP the realities of the legal position of a step parent.  He really needs to become more aware of his legal rights and responsibilities.

Being a step parent is difficult - being a parent period is a challenge - when everyone is cooperating. OP's attitude indicates a potential for problems unless he gets an attitude adjustment.

16 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

International child custody/visitation is difficult when the parents are in agreement and there is no outside interference. In this case, OP is interjecting himself and seems to be trying to control dad's access to the children.

He did not indicate whether dad has a US tourist visa and can even come to visit in the US and does not want them to return to their home country to visit their father.  Dad is entitled to have second thoughts about allowing his children to relocate - especially since he is being denied access to the children at his convenience not at a step parent's control.

Mom needs a family law attorney with experience in international custody/visitation issues. It is better late than not at all.

That is a good point.  Maybe if they worked together to establish a time for video calls and a better understanding of each other's ideas it may be smoother.  As a new step father I am also trying to establish a trusting relationship with my step children.  I encourage them to talk to their father and I talk to the father often about the children.  They are older so it is not as confusing for them.  I do want them to know that they are loved and respected and that I do expect to be treated the same by them.  We have offered to have the father visit up in the states once we settle in.  Their father is an OFW in Ireland and I would have no problem letting the kids visit him there.  I also know that he has no interest in having them around him all the time so that helps me a little.  He doesn't and never did want the responsibility of kids.  He enjoyed making them more than having to care for them!  LOL  

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, JamesySofia said:

. So my question is: Do the children need his consent every time they want to come back to the USA and can he legally detain them if they are to travel back to CO?

I would consult a lawyer knowledgeable with Colombian law. 

2 hours ago, John & Rose said:

If they are married and her children are under 18, he does have a step child/step father relationship.  That does have rights and responsibilities.

I don't always believe the biological father has the best interest of the children in mind either.  I believe the OP has to do what he and his wife determine IS in the best interest of the child.  

I would agree that there is a “relationship” there, but unless a formal adoption has taken place, a step-parent does not have a *legal* relationship to a step-child.   At least, in my state (Washington).  In other words, they are not financially responsible for the step-child, nor can they make major decisions on their behalf.

8 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I would agree that there is a “relationship” there, but unless a formal adoption has taken place, a step-parent does not have a *legal* relationship to a step-child.   At least, in my state (Washington).  In other words, they are not financially responsible for the step-child, nor can they make major decisions on their behalf.

True.  I have (or will have) power of attorney for medical emergencies if the biological mother is not available.  Legally I don't have any other rights or responsibilities.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.