Hanini

Interview without spouse

29 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I am lot fearmongering but telling the truth as a non-objective person. I don't get why telling the truth and what could happen is fear mongering. 

OP hasn’t stated reason why spouse can’t go. But then instead of answering her question, the focus of people’s responses were on the fact that they live separately... that they can’t possibly be approved for AOS — this is a huge myth. And does not apply for all situations, especially military families.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

38 minutes ago, ivyyy said:

It would be better if he’s there. But you know what, the military owns him and the state department knows that for sure. As long as it’s stated why he can’t go, that’s fine. But he has to get a letter from his command.

I was in your boat until just a few months ago. We lived in separate houses for 4 whole years and during that time, I applied for my 10 year permanent resident visa and for my citizenship. Never got RFE.

Thank you so much. 

Your response was what I needed and not all the negative responses from other posters. 

Was your husband able to attend the interview with you? 

12 minutes ago, Hanini said:

Thank you so much. 

Your response was what I needed and not all the negative responses from other posters. 

Was your husband able to attend the interview with you? 

For my Removal of Conditions, I didn’t get interviewed actually. I just got notified I was approved and then a new card was sent to me.

I just sent in paperwork. However, I was concerned with them viewing our relationship as doubtful so I wrote on my cover letter that we currently live separately because I was going to grad school at that time & he was stationed in a town in the middle of nowhere (of course, it was said differently, lol). But I assume you are past that point of providing evidence? If not, I can tell you more about what else was in the package I sent off.

but you know, there was always that fear that I would be called for an interview and he won’t be available. So whenever he deployed overseas, I would ask him to provide me a copy of his orders. Is he AF?

Edited by ivyyy

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

5 minutes ago, ivyyy said:

For my Removal of Conditions, I didn’t get interviewed actually. I just got notified I was approved and then a new card was sent to me.

I just sent in paperwork. However, I was concerned with them viewing our relationship as doubtful so I wrote on my cover letter that we currently live separately because I was going to grad school at that time & he was stationed in a town in the middle of nowhere (of course, it was said differently, lol). But I assume you are past that point of providing evidence? If not, I can tell you more about what else was in the package I sent off.

but you know, there was always that fear that I would be called for an interview and he won’t be available. So whenever he deployed overseas, I would ask him to provide me a copy of his orders. Is he AF?

We actually hired a lawyer to file our AOS. I don’t think they sent any evidence with the package. So I’m in the process of putting evidences together now since the interview might be coming up soon. Would you mind sharing what kind of evidence you sent? 

Yeah, he’s in the AF. Stationed up north near Canada and I’m in Texas. 

2 minutes ago, Hanini said:

We actually hired a lawyer to file our AOS. I don’t think they sent any evidence with the package. So I’m in the process of putting evidences together now since the interview might be coming up soon. Would you mind sharing what kind of evidence you sent? 

Yeah, he’s in the AF. Stationed up north near Canada and I’m in Texas. 

Just from my experience with my AF husband having to take time off for my immigration stuff, it was easy to get off work... as long as he’s not scheduled to deploy or go on TDY.

For evidence for my RoC, from what I can remember I had the following:

- the cover letter I told you about, this also has a list of the documents inside the package

- copy of lease with both our names on our 1st house in the US

- printout of utility bills with both our names in our current house (we own it but only his name is on the mortgage)  - most recent

- copies of our car registrations and car insurance with both our names on them

- copies of our joint bank statements - most recent

- tax returns of us married filing jointly for the past 3 years 

- a few photographs of us traveling in the last 2 years

Isn’t it odd no evidence was sent when your application was filed? I don’t think that should have been the case.

Audre Lorde

6 minutes ago, ivyyy said:

Just from my experience with my AF husband having to take time off for my immigration stuff, it was easy to get off work... as long as he’s not scheduled to deploy or go on TDY.

For evidence for my RoC, from what I can remember I had the following:

- the cover letter I told you about, this also has a list of the documents inside the package

- copy of lease with both our names on our 1st house in the US

- printout of utility bills with both our names in our current house (we own it but only his name is on the mortgage)  - most recent

- copies of our car registrations and car insurance with both our names on them

- copies of our joint bank statements - most recent

- tax returns of us married filing jointly for the past 3 years 

- a few photographs of us traveling in the last 2 years

Isn’t it odd no evidence was sent when your application was filed? I don’t think that should have been the case.

Yeah, he will try his best to attend! I just wanted to get on here to see if anyone had experience if they live separately with their military spouse while processing AOS and if their military spouse was exempted from attending the interview. 

I think besides the marriage certificate and basic stuff that was all that was sent. My lawyer didn’t ask for personal pictures or other evidence. 

Thank you for your responses! I appreciate it. I’ve been looking for ways to delete my account from this site after all the negativity I received after posting this thread. It was really frustrating and your responses were a relief to me after receiving all the negativity. Thank you so much. 

1 hour ago, Hanini said:

Yeah, he will try his best to attend! I just wanted to get on here to see if anyone had experience if they live separately with their military spouse while processing AOS and if their military spouse was exempted from attending the interview. 

I think besides the marriage certificate and basic stuff that was all that was sent. My lawyer didn’t ask for personal pictures or other evidence. 

Thank you for your responses! I appreciate it. I’ve been looking for ways to delete my account from this site after all the negativity I received after posting this thread. It was really frustrating and your responses were a relief to me after receiving all the negativity. Thank you so much. 

I don't know why you think this is negativity because it's not. I am starting the facts here that if your husband does not attend the AOS interview if not on orders then it does not look good at all. 

I wasn't talking about your relationship as a whole and I don't know why you think that. There are couples that have come on here before with strong relationships that live apart from one another that needed to provide sufficient relationship proof and they did it. But they showed how they have gone over and above what to do in order to see each other every chance they got. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

36 minutes ago, Hanini said:

Oh and I forgot to mention earlier, i sent copies of him declaring me as beneficiary for his SGLI. Your spouse should be able to get you that through MPS, I think. Not sure. 

Other people have sent written affidavits from family or friends stating how they knew you guys, if they attended your wedding, and if they knew how you guys met. Those were notarized. I didn’t do this as my mother was sick during that time and I just wanted to file ASAP before the deadline. But, people I know have sent that in as evidence, too.

You’re welcome! I remember posting something on here before about whether us living apart would be a dealbreaker because I was considering attending grad school in person instead of doing it online. Even when I mentioned he was military & we had legit reasons, I still got responses that weren’t helpful or relevant at all. We decided to live apart anyway and we quickly found out this happens a lot more than people say it does. After all, just because we’re married, it doesn’t mean we can’t have our own careers.

Audre Lorde

13 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

you dont live together by CHOICE, no one is judging you. none of US care. But USCIS WILL CARE.

hes not deployed. as far as they see it, there is no other reason not to live together.

Actually there are LOTS of reasons — school, jobs, close family dying or needing care, your own kids’ schools... The idea that people have to live together to be considered having a legitimate marriage is arcane and really doesn’t apply to many military marriages.

Audre Lorde

Just now, ivyyy said:

Actually there are LOTS of reasons — school, jobs, close family dying or needing care, your own kids’ schools... The idea that people have to live together to be considered having a legitimate marriage is arcane and really doesn’t apply to many military marriages.

But the OP clearly said that she isn't in school anymore which if she was still in school this wouldn't be a issue. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If he's on deployment/training/orders and living apart from you , there shouldn't be any issues.

If he's living apart from you by choice (yours or his), USCIS will want to see proof that you've continued to live under marital union (this doesn't mean you had to be necessarily under the same roof, though) with your spouse---backed up by whatever evidence you have over the past 2 years to show this.

There probably will be an eyebrow raised since it's been a couple of years living apart, as opposed to several months, and hopefully you have proof of physically seeing each other, maintaining comingling of finances, tax returns, etc.  Without strong proof, you may have a bit of an uphill battle proving validity of your marriage.

Many bonafide couples live apart temporarily for work/school/financial reasons.   USCIS wants to see that it's for bonafide reasons (ie. not a separation due to marital issues), and see evidence of same.  Good luck to you.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

This post might be getting a little out of hand.

The advice has already been given, maybe this needs to be locked and filed. 

No one case is the same and no one CO thinks the same so just be prepared, the burden is on you to prove the relationship is legitimate.

USCIS will make their decision based on what they see in front of them and that is all. 

If you feel you have enough proof then great, just sit back and wait for the interview, if not then continue to prepare. 

This forum is great and filled with many people that is willing to help with the experiences that they have. 

August 26, 2017 - Married

February 20, 2018 - AOS Package Sent

March 02, 2018 - AOS Package Received

April 03, 2018 - RFE for income requirement

April 09, 2018 - RFE replied with 2017 filed income tax

April 25, 2018 - REF Received

August 22,2018  - EAD Approved

September 05, 2018 - Received noticed of interview scheduled

October 02, 2018 - Interview (Approved) 

October 10, 2018 - Green Card Received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Closed for review~~~

***Review of thread complete.  The discussion is beginning to degrade into back and forth arguing and enough answers have been given to the OP's question; therefore, this thread will remain locked an it is not to be restarted.  OP is free to create a new topic with a new question about their case.  One post was removed for violating the below quoted provision of the TOS along with a post quoting.***

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:

• Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Forums.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.