Emillychen

Wil I get deported?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
13 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I feel they will report me to USCIS and I did put my resume and my picture on thumbtack.com and has reviews there for the lesson I provide, and the website said I got hired 20 times there.

First, you know you were violating your agreement with the US govt. Big mistake. But, you are in the US legally, and teaching where you were supposed to - so big plus there. Second, the parents broke the law hiring you in the first place. So they would probably make an anonymous complaint. Hard to prove then that you received any monies from them. Did you say you were a US Citizen? That is a serious offense. You should have no presence online where you offer your services. So it looks like you really stuck your neck out. Though you do not earn much (American teachers probably charge more), you might think about hiring an immigration attorney you can at least call if you need representation. Also, learn about your rights. I do not know if all citizen rights apply to you but you can probably find out what rights you do have for free. Good luck and I hope you are scared because the USA allowed you to work here under certain conditions, and you did not respect them.

20 minutes ago, James D said:

First, you know you were violating your agreement with the US govt. Big mistake. But, you are in the US legally, and teaching where you were supposed to - so big plus there. Second, the parents broke the law hiring you in the first place. So they would probably make an anonymous complaint. Hard to prove then that you received any monies from them. Did you say you were a US Citizen? That is a serious offense. You should have no presence online where you offer your services. So it looks like you really stuck your neck out. Though you do not earn much (American teachers probably charge more), you might think about hiring an immigration attorney you can at least call if you need representation. Also, learn about your rights. I do not know if all citizen rights apply to you but you can probably find out what rights you do have for free. Good luck and I hope you are scared because the USA allowed you to work here under certain conditions, and you did not respect them.

When you hire someone on thumbtack or any other platform, do you check their work authorization first? I would dispute the parents knew they were breaking the law. When we have paid tutors we have (a) assumed they were legal and (b) assumed they met their obligations to the irs if any such existed (such as if it was a side job from a formal teaching position where they would be in taxpaying status). No one checks credentials of every single contractor they use, do they? OP said the parents only did the digging after whatever the dispute was with them (must have been quite some dispute to lead to that by more than one parent). So there is no reason to assume that any complaint would be anonymous. There is no indication at all that the parents did anything wrong.... other than trust the OP. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
18 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

There is no indication at all that the parents did anything wrong.... other than trust the OP. 

Good no one is liable for hiring non-English speaking workmen to do their yard work. On the other hand, the OP's situation is not looking good. Do you think the OP should leave the country voluntarily, giving up her work visa officially? Maybe she could come back later if her record is clean.

Edited by James D

32 minutes ago, James D said:

Good no one is liable for hiring non-English speaking workmen to do their yard work. On the other hand, the OP's situation is not looking good. Do you think the OP should leave the country voluntarily, giving up her work visa officially? Maybe she could come back later if her record is clean.

When we hired a math tutor for our kid who was also a teacher at a local school, we didn’t check his work authorization. Do you think we should have? Do you think OP didn’t bother mentioning she was a teacher on thumbtack when that would have been an obvious hook to get students? It’s not a “non-English speaker doing yard work”. (Actually, the non-English speaker who looks after our yard is legal, by the way, hope you weren’t implying all ESL speakers who do blue collar work are illegal.)

certainly, leaving the country and coming back with a clean I94 could be one way to get around the issue. I don’t know if she even has to give up her work visa first or what to advise, but I do know that misrepresentation on official immigration forms can carry worse penalties than the act itself. And to be honest I don’t have a lot of sympathy for someone who has a valid work visa and job and by her own account knowingly breaks the rules, when there are countless people who do in fact keep to the terms of their visas, and countless more who would gladly do so if they were given the opportunity for a work visa for the US. Maybe it’s judgemental but there’s enough anti-foreigner and anti-immigrant rhetoric around as it is without actual legal people needing to add fuel to the fire.

Edited by SusieQQQ

18 hours ago, Emillychen said:

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, although I've been following this forum for a while.

I have a problem and need to ask around everyone here.

I'm a violin teacher (I have a Master Degree in Music) and my h1b will be up for 1 year extension next year (I got my h1b visa at 2013) and the school I was hired, asked me to wait when I asked them for greencard process, yes they just done one this year, so far my coworker was the first they ever sponsored for greencard.

Anyway, as a violin teacher in private after school academy, my salary is just okay and I have provide private lesson since 2013, now I have about 15 private students outside the academy and they all paid me cash.

But recently, my 3 former private students (i got into disagreement with their parents and we are no longer in speaking term now) and they were snooping around my background and found out that I'm not supposed to have side job.

I feel they will report me to USCIS and I did put my resume and my picture on thumbtack.com and has reviews there for the lesson I provide, and the website said I got hired 20 times there.

Do you think USCIS will get notice about it if someone did report me? Will they deport me right away? or just warning?

How long usually for them to notify me ?

I know I shouldn't do this but whats done is done, and I do have to make a living.

Please don't criticize me, I know I'm at fault and I really need an input here.

Thank you! 

Huh?

H1b requires the petitioning employer to pay a certain wage. Are you saying your H1b employer is not paying a living wage and you have to work on the side to make a living? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Timeline
8 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I don’t know if she even has to give up her work visa first or what to advise,

So it would be good for her to talk with an immigration lawyer on how best to proceed and not wait until ICE is knocking at her door. It was not wise for her to get into arguments with her clients in the first place given her sensitive situation.

No need to have such argument for this posting.

Like I said, I don't ask any support and I was just looking for input, I appreciate anyone who gave an input (carmel, really appreciate the input without judging, and im toward your advice here).

My former students wants to take exam for violin and I had to refuse because they were not in the level they were asking and the parents were not happy and screaming at me because they feel they already invest so much money and time and yet their kids were not able to take certain level of exam.

Most my students achieved great grades and able to do higher level exam because music, always about effort of the individuals.

My Salary is just right, but like I said, as a normal human especially for me, extra money would always welcome.

With the cost of living keep raising, it is very tempting.

Anyway, I know I dont have much choice thats why Im toward to going back rather waiting, I already prepared before posting here, I was adviced by several friends to do same thing, but seem like this forum, i might can get more input thats why I posted.

I never asked anyone here to support what I have done.

So I will not be posting anymore than I should and focusing toward of what I will do and focusing to find replacement for all the students before I leave.

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, CheeseMonstah said:

Unless you're really making thousands and thousands of dollars from your private lesson, I wouldn't consider that "a job".

You would be wrong......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A TOS-violating post has been removed, along with a quote thereof.

The OP has received valid answers and has apparently decided what to do.

Therefore, this thread is closed and is not to be reopened or referred to.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.