5 posts in this topic

Hello, everybody!

I wanted to ask a very simple question. If it has been answered already, I apologize for recreating an existing thread. For the I-485, does the Birth Certificate need to be translated with a notarized stamp? I was reading the instructions for the I-485 and I didn't really see anything that mentioned a translation or a notarization? If it needs to be translated, it will be absolutely no problem. I will even have the translation notarized. If somebody can help me with this question, I would appreciate it immensely!

Also, I am assuming that her passport from her country doesn't need to be translated, right? She is from a non-English speaking country, by the way.

Any input will be appreciated and many thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, barashka said:

Hello, everybody!

I wanted to ask a very simple question. If it has been answered already, I apologize for recreating an existing thread. For the I-485, does the Birth Certificate need to be translated with a notarized stamp? I was reading the instructions for the I-485 and I didn't really see anything that mentioned a translation or a notarization? If it needs to be translated, it will be absolutely no problem. I will even have the translation notarized. If somebody can help me with this question, I would appreciate it immensely!

Also, I am assuming that her passport from her country doesn't need to be translated, right? She is from a non-English speaking country, by the way.

Any input will be appreciated and many thanks in advance.

All supporting documents submitted to USCIS need to be translated into English regardless of the form you are filing or benefit you are requesting and regardless of if you are the applicant, beneficiary, petitioner, sponsor, co-sponsor, derivative, or Santa Claus. If you are submitting it to USCIS, it must be in English or translated into English.

The general instructions of all USCIS forms state this. Here is an excerpt from page 5 of the I485 instructions:

"Translations. If you submit a document with information in a foreign language, you must also submit a full English 
translation. The translator must sign a certification that the English language translation is complete and accurate, and that 
he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English. The certification must include the translator’s 
signature. DHS recommends the certification contain the translator’s printed name and the date and the translator’s 
contact information."

2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

All supporting documents submitted to USCIS need to be translated into English regardless of the form you are filing or benefit you are requesting and regardless of if you are the applicant, beneficiary, petitioner, sponsor, co-sponsor, derivative, or Santa Claus. If you are submitting it to USCIS, it must be in English or translated into English.

The general instructions of all USCIS forms state this. Here is an excerpt from page 5 of the I485 instructions:

"Translations. If you submit a document with information in a foreign language, you must also submit a full English 
translation. The translator must sign a certification that the English language translation is complete and accurate, and that 
he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English. The certification must include the translator’s 
signature. DHS recommends the certification contain the translator’s printed name and the date and the translator’s 
contact information."

Oh, okay. Sounds good. This goes for her passport as well? Her Russian passport has most items in Russian and then after a "/" sign, it has the same information in English.

9 minutes ago, barashka said:

Oh, okay. Sounds good. This goes for her passport as well? Her Russian passport has most items in Russian and then after a "/" sign, it has the same information in English.

Like I said above, ANY and EVERY document anyone submits to USCIS regardless of who they are or what it's for, must be in English or translated into English. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.