gopinatht

Have greencard, applied for citizenship, taking a break from current job

8 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I got my green card in September 2013, I applied for my Citizenship in August this year (2018). I decided to quit my current job and take a break of a month before joining another company. Would that be OK? Will I have to constantly working to maintain my GC? My GC was a work based GC.

Any information appreciated.

Edited by gopinatht
add more text

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

There’s no requirement for naturalization that says you must be employed. You’re perfectly fine don’t worry about it. Keep in mind though that you should be able to explain if you drastically changed quit your job the moment you got your green card. That might make your intent questionable that you didn’t intend to work for the employer who filed your petition. 

Edited by Starkilla09

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, gopinatht said:

I decided to quit my current job and take a break of a month before joining another company. Would that be OK? Will I have to constantly working to maintain my GC?

Out of curiosity, where does this idea come from?  It's so antithetical to life in a free country that I have to wonder where this wild rumor originated. 

3 minutes ago, CarlHamilton said:

Out of curiosity, where does this idea come from?  It's so antithetical to life in a free country that I have to wonder where this wild rumor originated. 

I personally am just trying to dot my i(s) and cross my t(s). As a South Asian immigrant going from several types of work visas to GC and finally to an opportunity at Naturalization, I have tended to be paranoid through the process (and that paranoia has helped me be diligent with my documentation and gotchas).

The GC might not have strict restrictions but work visas do. Given that my greencard was work based, I wanted to make sure none of the visa rules were grandfathered in. 

And Greencards are not without restrictions either. For instance, traveling outside the US while on GC without the right documents (reentry permit etc) might make you ineligible for reentry.

You really need to be very aware of the law if you want to navigate the immigration process here. This was my attempt to stay on top of things and make sure I am not missing something.

2 minutes ago, love_my_wife said:

You are wrong here again! Reentry permit is only required if you would be out of US for extended period, especially out for more than a year!

Yup, you are right! Reentry permit needed for stay outside the USA for over a year but for stays outside the USA between 6 months to a year, you might be questioned during attempt to entry.

I think this reinforces my point about trying to clarify and stay on top of things.

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
16 minutes ago, gopinatht said:

I think this reinforces my point about trying to clarify and stay on top of things.

No, it really doesn't.  Just because there are a few restrictions on green card holders doesn't mean you have to make up some more out of thin air.  You want to become a US citizen.  Think like a free person! (Relax, that's not actually a legal requirement).  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.