Kim Mertens

I have 10 days before my greencard expires.. Apology letter needed?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

My 90 day timeframe would have been somewhere the end of July. We were in the middle of buying a house at that time, the whole month of August for us was a back and forth with the mortgage company. Our closing date got pushed back a few days and we ended closing on our house at the end of August. We used the whole month of September to move, and now we are finally settling in I just realized, I need my package made AND filed within less than 10 days from now.

My evidence is very basic since we have yet to unpack most of our stuff and I have no idea where most of my stuff is right now. I am including the items I have listed below. My main concern right now is getting it accepted within the timeframe and not having it sent back. I understand we might get an RFE with this evidence down the line and I will have everything to prove the legitimacy of our marriage if they need more, but I just cannot find it right now.

My two questions are: Should I add an apology letter for delayed filing just in case it makes it there too close to Oct 28th? Would they accept the reason I explained above?

and, would this evidence be enough for the time being?

Thank you!

●        Cover sheet

●         I-751

●         copies of my greencard and drivers license.

●        Copy of a wedding save the date addressed to both of us.

●        A copy of our 2016 and 2017 joint US tax returns.

●        A copy of an important notice from our joint bank account, sent to our old address but forwarded to

our new address by USPS on 10/06/2018. (to prove our address change, together)

●        Copies of me having my husband as beneficiary for life insurance, 401k and work accident payout.

●        Copies of our most recent internet bill to our new address.

●        Copy of our monthly statement for August 2018 from our joint bank account to our old

address, showing both of our spending and direct deposits for both our jobs into the joint account.

●        A copy of our home purchase agreement as well as the official deed of the home we

closed on in August of 2018.

●        Pictures of us together on day trips throughout the years.

●        Various screenshots of our texts to each other.

event.png
United_States.gif:wub:Our Journey :wub:Belgium.gif

K1
Sent I-129F: June 9th, 2015
Received at Texas Lockbox: June 11th. Sent to CSC!
NOA1: (NOA1 date June 15th 2015) Hardcopy arrived June 20th 2015
NOA2: July 23rd! Hardcopy arrived July 27th 2015
Left NVC in transit to Brussels Embassy: August 17th 2015
Received at Brussels Embassy: August 21st, 2015
Package 3 sent: August 25th, 2015
Package 3 reveived: August 26th, 2015
Checklist sent back: August 27th, 2015
Medical Appointment in Antwerp: August 27th, 2015 and August 31st, 2015
Received Package 4: September 11th, 2015
Interview: September 17th, 2015 : APPROVED!!!
POE: October 25th, 3.55pm 2015 at Washington Dulles Airport.
Wedding Courthouse: November 24th, 2015. (L)
Wedding ceremony and reception for friends and family US: April 2nd 2016 (L)
Wedding ceremony and reception for friends and family Belgium: October 8th 2016 (L)

AoS

Filed for AoS: June 17th 2016

Package arrived: June 20th 2016 8.05 AM

Check Cashed: June 25th 2016

Texts and e-mails NOA1: June 28th, 10.30 PM

Hardcopy NOA1`s: July 2nd

Biometrics letter: July 8th.

Biometrics appointment: July 20th, 11 AM, Charlotte, NC

Early walk-in Biometrics: July 14th!

Approved: 2016/10/28 (no interview)

Greencard received: November 5th 2016. (Wrong country of birth: USA)

RoC

Filed: 10/22/2018

Package arrived: 10/23 2:40PM

Package picked up: 10/24/2018 3:54AM.

NOA1: 10/26/2018

Text and e-mail: 10/29/2018

Check cashed: 10/30/2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

You don’t need an apology letter as long as it is within the 90 days it doesn’t matter. If you are late an apology letter won’t fix anything (although a nice sentiment)

also your evidence looks good but I would suggest more than 1 month of your checking/saving. Include a few months for each year you’ve been married

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

You may be able to get more bank statements online? So you don't have to go find the box the paper ones are in...

If you can't find them now though, I'd just send whatever you have access to now, and if that's the above list, that already looks quite good. You may just get an in-person interview whereas if you send everything right away you could avoid that.

No apology needed but I'd make sure it gets in next week - so don't skimp on postage charges and send it through UPS or FedEx.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

My plan is to get it sent out tomorrow at the latest, and although it will be Friday I am still going for overnight shipping. I told my boss the situation I was in and she told me not to come in to work today and just focus on working on finding these documents. I might be able to get to some bank statements online if I can find the folder our online login is on (we usually just use the phone app but you cant download statements from it, just view them. If not, would a letter from our bank stating when we opened it together work?

Why would an apology letter not make a difference if it got there late? Would buying a house and being on the move not be seen as a valid excuse?

thank you both for your reply!

event.png
United_States.gif:wub:Our Journey :wub:Belgium.gif

K1
Sent I-129F: June 9th, 2015
Received at Texas Lockbox: June 11th. Sent to CSC!
NOA1: (NOA1 date June 15th 2015) Hardcopy arrived June 20th 2015
NOA2: July 23rd! Hardcopy arrived July 27th 2015
Left NVC in transit to Brussels Embassy: August 17th 2015
Received at Brussels Embassy: August 21st, 2015
Package 3 sent: August 25th, 2015
Package 3 reveived: August 26th, 2015
Checklist sent back: August 27th, 2015
Medical Appointment in Antwerp: August 27th, 2015 and August 31st, 2015
Received Package 4: September 11th, 2015
Interview: September 17th, 2015 : APPROVED!!!
POE: October 25th, 3.55pm 2015 at Washington Dulles Airport.
Wedding Courthouse: November 24th, 2015. (L)
Wedding ceremony and reception for friends and family US: April 2nd 2016 (L)
Wedding ceremony and reception for friends and family Belgium: October 8th 2016 (L)

AoS

Filed for AoS: June 17th 2016

Package arrived: June 20th 2016 8.05 AM

Check Cashed: June 25th 2016

Texts and e-mails NOA1: June 28th, 10.30 PM

Hardcopy NOA1`s: July 2nd

Biometrics letter: July 8th.

Biometrics appointment: July 20th, 11 AM, Charlotte, NC

Early walk-in Biometrics: July 14th!

Approved: 2016/10/28 (no interview)

Greencard received: November 5th 2016. (Wrong country of birth: USA)

RoC

Filed: 10/22/2018

Package arrived: 10/23 2:40PM

Package picked up: 10/24/2018 3:54AM.

NOA1: 10/26/2018

Text and e-mail: 10/29/2018

Check cashed: 10/30/2018

On 10/18/2018 at 12:01 PM, Kim&Clint said:

Why would an apology letter not make a difference if it got there late? Would buying a house and being on the move not be seen as a valid excuse?

thank you both for your reply!

Not sure what they consider a valid excuse - I mean, theoretically, you could have gotten the entire package together before that time. Not to harp on it, but I had a baby in April and had most of my documents together before he was born so I only needed to add a few when all my time was spent caring for baby.

But you don't need to apologize if your packet gets in before the deadline, even if it's cutting it close :) Sounds like you're trying to make sure to do just that. And I'd rather send in what you have than wait for finding the additional bank statements - the acknowledgement letter gave me a way to send in additional evidence.

I would sent in everything you have. Since you purchased a home together I assume you have homeowners insurance. You could send that in along with vehicles. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.