JAdams333

K1 Advice needed

23 posts in this topic

Hi all,

First time post, so please bear with me -I don't usually post on these sort of forums however this one does seem particularly useful for my situation.

I am 30 and I live in London, my fiance (29) lives in New York. We met when I was visiting the USA after chatting on a pretty standard dating app.

We have been together for seven months and have visited each other in person on six occasions in this seven month period. We see each other every month. We want to marry and live together.  

After researching the pros and cons of living in both London and New York, we decided NYC would be where we both want to live together, and it seems to me the K-1 visa is the process we need to follow. 

I have compiled a solid amount of evidence of our meetings in person, photos together, photos with family and our friends, plane tickets, passport stamps, correspondence, etc. This is not my area of concern! 

Now the problem is this -- I haven't bought her a ring yet. Quite simply, I'm still saving for it! and I want to give it to her on the 1 year anniversary of us meeting. We plan to marry, We have planned our day but we haven't booked anything, simply because we are unsure exactly how long any visa process would take, but after reading through some posts on this forum I have a rough idea, but at this stage we do not want to pay deposits or anything just in case the timeline is extended, or if there are any hiccups or issues of any kind.

I'm wondering if this approach could make any adjudicating official dubious of our intent to actually marry? (I don't fear an interview or 'proving' our relationship, what worries me is the lack of ring, lack of venue might cause doubt as to the intent to actually marry)

Now, I can prove via email correspondence we have spoken with wedding venues and discussed finances for this sort of thing. Is suitable evidence of intending to marry?

I understand the obvious answer, perhaps, is to simply wait until the ring is sorted... But we do want to get the ball rolling, and I could continue to save for the ring whilst the paperwork is being dealt with. 

Apologies if this sort of thing has been covered elsewhere. I just wanted to get some advice for my exact circumstances, and as always, any helpful advice is appreciated.

Many thanks

Edited by JAdams333
Spellcheck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

When my fiancee did her interview the only thing that mattered was that we had the letters for the intent to marry. You send them with your petition, and you can take updated ones to the interview showing that you still have intent to marry within 90 days. I have absolutely nothing planned for the wedding yet, and send not a single thing showing wedding plans or anything. As long as you have the letters from each of you, that is all the proof they want.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, JAdams333 said:

Now the problem is this -- I haven't bought her a ring yet. Quite simply, I'm still saving for it! and I want to give it to her on the 1 year anniversary of us meeting. We have planned our day but we haven't booked anything, simply because we are unsure exactly how long any visa process would take, but after reading through some posts on this forum I have a rough idea, but at this stage we do not want to pay deposits or anything just in case the timeline is extended, there are any hiccups or issues of any kind.

I'm wondering if this approach could make any adjudicating official dubious of our intent to actually marry? (I don't fear an interview or 'proving' our relationship, what worries me is the lack of ring, lack of venue might cause doubt as to the intent to actually marry)

Now, I can prove via email correspondence we have spoken with wedding venues and discussed finances for this sort of thing. Is suitable evidence of intending to marry?

I understand the obvious answer, perhaps, is to simply wait until the ring is sorted... But we do want to get the ball rolling, and I could continue to save for the ring whilst the paperwork is being dealt with. 

Apologies if this sort of thing has been covered elsewhere. I just wanted to get some advice for my exact circumstances, and as always, any helpful advice is appreciated.

Many thanks

Never make any official plans or spend money for these plans until visa is in hand. 

Right now I-129f petition processing, NVC, and embassy level all in all is about 8-9 months. 

Also, no ring or anything is necessary, nor is any official party of what not.

The way you show your intent to marry in the petition is simply the letters of intent. One from each party simply starting "I ****** intent to marry ****** within the 90 days of arrival in the US on the K-1 visa"... that's it.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Loren, Ben&Zian, thanks both for the reply. With the letters is it really that simple -- I mean please forgive the ignorance but anyone could write such letters, yet such importance is placed on them?

I have a cover letter with takes the Official through our circumstances, visits and evidence attached, could we add signed statements to this letter or should it strictly be one letter of intent per party?

Thanks again

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

letters of intent need to be from each party. BTW....did you look into CR-1? 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ring is not needed.

If you are short of cash are you OK not working for 4 or 5 months?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks Albamak. I have looked into CR-1 but not as much --The reason being, I travel to the USA on an ESTA. My understanding is that traveling with the intent to marry would be a violation of the terms of the ESTA. The same for when she visits me. If I turn up at a POE on an ESTA and state that I intend to marry, I am pretty certain that I will be refused entry.  It just seemed that the Fiance visa was the more appropriate as that most accurately reflects our current circumstance. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, JAdams333 said:

Thanks Albamak. I have looked into CR-1 but not as much --The reason being, I travel to the USA on an ESTA. My understanding is that traveling with the intent to marry would be a violation of the terms of the ESTA. The same for when she visits me. If I turn up at a POE on an ESTA and state that I intend to marry, I am pretty certain that I will be refused entry.  It just seemed that the Fiance visa was the more appropriate as that most accurately reflects our current circumstance. 

Las Begas baby, have you not heard of destination weddings?

Anyway the only issue  is to marry and stay, marry only is OK.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
16 minutes ago, JAdams333 said:

First time post, so please bear with me -I don't usually post on these sort of forums however this one does seem particularly useful for my situation.

This process is not near as daunting as you are imagining. The petition has requirements to be met.

Is the petitioner a US Citizen? ✔️

Have you met in person at least once in the last two years?  ✔️

Can you document the meeting?  ✔️

Are you both free to marry (no other current spouses)?  
Do you intend to marry within 90 days of the beneficiary's arrival on a K1 visa?
Can you both pen a statement stating the two things above? 
I defer to others to explain IMBRA since they met on a dating website.

You don't need a ring, or chat logs, email discussions, engagement parties, love letter, phone logs,  Facebook posts, or the like. Heck, we don't even have an actual engagement date or rings, yet I got the visa in London, got a greencard, and am a US citizen. Married 10 years now. 

I refer you to question 7 on this London Embassy website page to  address marrying in the US https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visa-faqs/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
22 minutes ago, JAdams333 said:

The reason i mentioned this is because of the wait in HELL you may have till you get I-129F approved, NVC, medical, Embassy stage and finally VOH, POE, marriage license, marriage certificate, SS#, EAD, AP & AOS. Not to account for possible RFE and money and time pulling your hairs lol

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

2 hours ago, JAdams333 said:

Loren, Ben&Zian, thanks both for the reply. With the letters is it really that simple -- I mean please forgive the ignorance but anyone could write such letters, yet such importance is placed on them?

I have a cover letter with takes the Official through our circumstances, visits and evidence attached, could we add signed statements to this letter or should it strictly be one letter of intent per party?

Thanks again

The letters are signed under penalty of perjury to a government agency.

You really think the government cares about a rock you bought to symbolize your love? or a wedding ceremony you can cancel?

A ring and a ceremony is not a marriage.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

File! You can do what we did and buy a cheapo silver ring for my engagement ring until we can get a "more lovely" one :) I love the memories of the silver one, though ❤️ ❤️

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Seriously, I was reading this post with an English accent. It's really interesting😊. Anyway, you don't have to worry about the ring. My husband and I had our AOS interview last week. He recently lost his ring and we didn't get him a new one yet. The immigration officer didn't even point it out that he is not wearing a wedding band.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

K-1

More expensive than CR-1

Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)

Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 4-6months)

Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 4-6months)

some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period .

Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1

Less expensive than K-1

No AOS required.

Spouse can immediately travel outside the US

Spouse can start work if desired

Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card withing 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US

Spouse  has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US. 

Current average processing time per VJ member is about 9 months for K-1 and about 13 months for CR-1.  All-in-all, the CR-1 is superior to the K-1 imo.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

16 hours ago, JAdams333 said:

Hi all,

I am 30 and I live in London, my fiance (29) lives in New York. We met when I was visiting the USA after chatting on a pretty standard dating app.

We have been together for seven months and have visited each other in person on six occasions in this seven month period. We see each other every month. We want to marry and live together.  

After researching the pros and cons of living in both London and New York, we decided NYC would be where we both want to live together, and it seems to me the K-1 visa is the process we need to follow. 

I have compiled a solid amount of evidence of our meetings in person, photos together, photos with family and our friends, plane tickets, passport stamps, correspondence, etc. This is not my area of concern! 

Now the problem is this -- I haven't bought her a ring yet. Quite simply, I'm still saving for it! and I want to give it to her on the 1 year anniversary of us meeting. We plan to marry, We have planned our day but we haven't booked anything, simply because we are unsure exactly how long any visa process would take, but after reading through some posts on this forum I have a rough idea, but at this stage we do not want to pay deposits or anything just in case the timeline is extended, or if there are any hiccups or issues of any kind.

Many thanks

For us there was never any question about a ring. We submitted a photo of when we got officially engaged (like you, we planned on getting married and my now husband saved for the ring for a few months before officially proposing), but otherwise the main concern was our intent to marry within 90 days. we had been together 6 months when we applied, we knew reallly early that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together.

I suggested to my fiance when he was saving for a ring that we just get a placeholder and save once we were together in the same country for the "real deal." He wouldn't go for it, though, said I was worth the real thing. Maybe that's how you feel too, but it's something to consider if you are particularly concerned about an official engagement.

That said, we also have a baby together which may have been one reason they didn't ask many questions about our  engagement and stuff. They asked in the interview when we last saw each other, if I had been to Aus, what his intentions were when he got to the US (to marry me within 90 days and start our life together), simple things. We worried and thought ahead about alot of things that were never an issue.

The process for us took a grueling 8 months for the K-1, our son was born and my husband missed the first two months of his life, but now we are together as a family...we have another baby on the way, we wake up together every morning, my husband has his green card and a good job here. It was 100% worth the work, the wait, the stress and anxiety for what we have together. Good luck to you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.