clw654321

Tourist Visa

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My Filipino fiancée is about to apply for a tourist visa while we are in process of a K1.

She has a good job, her own condo, buying a house, and bank account.

The only reason she will visit this time instead of me visiting is because of my lack of vacation.

She will bring all of that to show proof of her going back and I will send her a letter from work proving my job so I can support while she is here. Me and my mother can also send copies of letter of invitations to her to bring to the interview for tourist visa. Would you all think she will have a good chance? And is there anything that I am missing? Thanks in advance!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Getting a tourist visa whilst there is a pending K1 petition may be hard. She will have to show strong ties to her country in order to have it approved. There is a question on the DS-160 that she will have to complete prior to the interview and it's asking if there is currently a pending petition for her or ever was. So she would have to disclose that you are in the process of K1.

She needs to show that she can support herself, so it's better to show statements from her own bank account as oppossed to your employment letter. If she shows the latter it may be considered as she has immigrant intent and will not come back because you can support her.

I've read invitations can be tricky. They can also harm your case. When I applied for my tourist visa I didn't have invitation for that reason.

Overall there is a chance it gets approved, however there is also a big risk of denial IMO. At the end everything depends on the interviewer and whether he/she believes your fiancee will come back to her country. Good news is that eventual denial won't affect the K1.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, wtrav said:

Getting a tourist visa whilst there is a pending K1 petition may be hard. She will have to show strong ties to her country in order to have it approved. There is a question on the DS-160 that she will have to complete prior to the interview and it's asking if there is currently a pending petition for her or ever was. So she would have to disclose that you are in the process of K1.

She needs to show that she can support herself, so it's better to show statements from her own bank account as oppossed to your employment letter. If she shows the latter it may be considered as she has immigrant intent and will not come back because you can support her.

I've read invitations can be tricky. They can also harm your case. When I applied for my tourist visa I didn't have invitation for that reason.

Overall there is a chance it gets approved, however there is also a big risk of denial IMO. At the end everything depends on the interviewer and whether he/she believes your fiancee will come back to her country. Good news is that eventual denial won't affect the K1.

Thanks a lot! She will definitely show her employment, that she is buying a condo and a house in the Philippines, she has strong family ties, and whatever else she needs. I know also they will want to know she will be supported while she is here on tourist visa so they will need to know I can pay her expenses for 2-4 weeks and that she will be staying with me. So what should I include on my end? Maybe showing that we both have a job is ok... Pm me if you prefer. Thank you!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing from you, you said:

She has a good job, her own condo, good family ties. Her circumstances are really good there. 

So she can show her own finances.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
5 hours ago, Boiler said:

She has a good job, her own condo, good family ties. Her circumstances are really good there. 

Ok. Thanks!

Timeline
6 hours ago, Boiler said:

Should I send her a letter of invitation and that is it?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I agree with the others. Don't think letter for your employment will matter. She can explain at the interview that she will be staying with you therefore she won't be spending money on a hotel.

On my interview I presented work contract and a letter from HR stating that I am working on permanent position (+start date), how much I was earning and that I am allowed to use 20 days of paid leave; bank statements; tickets from recent trips; car certificate showing I was the owner (that was my only property); receipt for prepaid public transport services for 1 year ahead. 

Think of anything that shows her ties to the country e.g. phone contract, rent lease, etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to Tourist Visas.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
13 hours ago, clw654321 said:

Thanks a lot! She will definitely show her employment, that she is buying a condo and a house in the Philippines, she has strong family ties, and whatever else she needs. I know also they will want to know she will be supported while she is here on tourist visa so they will need to know I can pay her expenses for 2-4 weeks and that she will be staying with me. So what should I include on my end? Maybe showing that we both have a job is ok... Pm me if you prefer. Thank you!!!

What's going to happen to that job, the condo and the house when she gets her K-1?

They're not really good ties considering she's going to be leaving them all behind in a year or so anyway.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

WRONG...she has to show proof that SHE will be capable of supporting herself while here in the US.

Edited by David & Zoila

Timeline
9 minutes ago, MacUK said:

What's going to happen to that job, the condo and the house when she gets her K-1?

They're not really good ties considering she's going to be leaving them all behind in a year or so anyway.

Her mother will live in the house, we will rent out her condo, and her type of job can transfer.

If those are not good ties then what is considered good ties to the Philippines??

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just now, clw654321 said:

Her mother will live in the house, we will rent out her condo, and her type of job can transfer.

If those are not good ties then what is considered good ties to the Philippines??

If you could ever divine the answer to that question you would be a billionaire very quickly. There is no list of things that could ensure someone returning home, only things that could possibly help but each and every case is different and you have to try to see it from the perspective of someone who already thinks the applicant will abuse the visa.

As you say, her mother will live in the house, you'll rent the condo and she can transfer her job. What's stopping her from staying in the U.S. if she were to get a tourist visa?

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

Permanent legal citizenship as we are trying to get is to stop her. Plus she has many things to come back to and do before she comes to the US permanently.

If you have suggestions please suggest them instead of just saying that I’m wrong. It’s fine if I’m wrong. I just thought this was a place to get help not to argue.

any suggestions that are better than my ideas and others who have previously stated please feel free to give me advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

You say she is buying a condo/house in the Philippines? That a little odd since she will be coming to the USA to live with you? That might be a question that would be asked of her...why?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.