Two Lost Souls

MMR/Tdap Vaccinations at GP?

23 posts in this topic

I've never had a pertussis vaccination, do I need it at my ripe old age of 43?

Late 2016: Met playing Clash of Kings the West

Feb 2017: Started online "dating"

May 2017: Met in Orlando

July 2017: Arkansas and Seminole (1 night) visit

October 2017: Washington DC visit.

December 2017: Seminole OKC home visit and Amanda  met Chayne's kids and dad.

January 2018:  York England visit Chayne met Amanda's son.

April 2018: London/Paris/York visit we got engaged on April 6th!!

April 19th 2018: packet sent

April 23rd 2018: USPS say packet signed for.

April 25th 2018: Electronic NOA1 received 

April 26th 2018: Cheque Cashed

April 30th 2018: hard copy NOA1 received

June 2018: Seminole visit, Amanda met Chayne's  adult son

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
6 hours ago, Mez274 said:

Hi im struggling to find what the exact vaccination requirements are , ive had influenza , a dtap booster in 2012, influenza b , and mmr - is that sufficient? And is it safe to say youve had chickenpox? Because i think ive had chickenpox but im not sure haha- as silly as it sounds it was when i was very young, and i havent had a varicella vaccination so would it be safe to just say ive had chickenpox without undeniable proof? 

Here are the shots needed for 19 through 59 years of age:

• Td or Tdap - Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis or get DT, DTP or DtaP and it will be accepted. The latest shot must be no longer than 10 years ago or you need a booster. If you have a record of receiving pertussis, then the Td is okay for the booster.
  • MMR - (if born in 1957 or later)-Mumps/measles/rubella.  It's two doses in your life, but if you get the first dose, and 4 weeks haven't passed by your medical, they will waive the second dose for "insufficient time interval". If you only had one dose as a child, get a second one before the medical.
  • Varicella - Not routinely given in the UK . A history of having chickenpox excuses you from the shot. Your form is marked "Varicella History".They take your word for it at the visa medical exam. They will also waive the shot in the UK for "not routinely available". That works for spouse visas but not fiancés who could get the shot after POE and go to a civil surgeon to sign off. 
  • Influenza - Required during flu season only, October 1 through March 31.  If your medical is not during flu season, you don't need it.

to Mez-  if you act vague about chickenpox, then you might not get the waiver. I said "my mum said I had chickenpox in [year]" and got the waiver. It's common in the UK  because they don't immunize for it. 

Your flu shot has to be from this season, a 2018 version.

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
2 hours ago, AmandaandChayne said:

I've never had a pertussis vaccination, do I need it at my ripe old age of 43?

Whooping cough. Yes you need one if you never had one in your life.  A childhood DTP shot has it. UK sometimes has one called DTP+Polio. The P is pertussis (whooping cough)

1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

Whooping cough. Yes you need one if you never had one in your life.  A childhood DTP shot has it. UK sometimes has one called DTP+Polio. The P is pertussis (whooping cough)

Bollards, if I'd have know would have got it done at the .same time as my 2nd mmr shot yesterday. Oh well

Late 2016: Met playing Clash of Kings the West

Feb 2017: Started online "dating"

May 2017: Met in Orlando

July 2017: Arkansas and Seminole (1 night) visit

October 2017: Washington DC visit.

December 2017: Seminole OKC home visit and Amanda  met Chayne's kids and dad.

January 2018:  York England visit Chayne met Amanda's son.

April 2018: London/Paris/York visit we got engaged on April 6th!!

April 19th 2018: packet sent

April 23rd 2018: USPS say packet signed for.

April 25th 2018: Electronic NOA1 received 

April 26th 2018: Cheque Cashed

April 30th 2018: hard copy NOA1 received

June 2018: Seminole visit, Amanda met Chayne's  adult son

event.png

Timeline
6 minutes ago, AmandaandChayne said:

Bollards, if I'd have know would have got it done at the .same time as my 2nd mmr shot yesterday. Oh well

I'm older than you. Knightsbridge rejected me for lack of pertussis specifically. My surgery didn't have Tdap (adult strength) but were happy to give me DTP (baby strength). You might find it odd, but the baby version was found too strong for teens and adults so they invented Tdap. My GP wasn't bothered and gave me DTP. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've spoken to my GP surgery today and it looks like they will hopefully be able to give me MMR which is good. The diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis one I am struggling with.. the GP receptionist wasn't sure they stock it (she's going to check) and I can't seem to find a travel clinic that has it (they all have the one with polio instead of pertussis).

Maybe I'll have to leave that one and get it done at Knightsbridge? I just wanted to be prepared and have them all done before I went.

I-129F Sent: March 24th, 2018

NOA1 Received: March 27th, 2018 (Old Site) / March 30th, 2018 (New Site)

NOA2: October 1st, 2018

NVC: October 21st 2018

Consulate Rec: November 5th 2018

Medical: December 5th 2018 (booked later due to visiting fiancé for most of November)

Interview: December 19th 2018, approved!

Visa In Hand: December 31st 2018

POE: January 13th 2019

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Two Lost Souls said:

I've spoken to my GP surgery today and it looks like they will hopefully be able to give me MMR which is good. The diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis one I am struggling with.. the GP receptionist wasn't sure they stock it (she's going to check) and I can't seem to find a travel clinic that has it (they all have the one with polio instead of pertussis).

Maybe I'll have to leave that one and get it done at Knightsbridge? I just wanted to be prepared and have them all done before I went.

My K1 was 10 years ago and the nurse at that time was very adamant about my lack of pertussis documentation. In years since, I've noticed blokes have gotten by without any real documentation of the P part  (pertussis) or they seem to. I never know if people telling their stories actually understand the shots they got or not. I question Boots online saying they offer DTP yet describe it polio. You might want to call and speak to the clinic at Boots and ask. That could be a webmaster's mistake. Ask the medical professional in charge at Boots.

Edited by Wuozopo

That's very interesting @Wuozopo! That they did require you to have the pertussis, although 10 years ago. That's the bit where my vaccine advice always gets all tangled. 🤣

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.