inga44

I-130 filed with missing information- What to do?

24 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Sorry for what is probably an ignorant question, but what do you mean by this?

I think he wants to claim credits for those years that he worked in the US 50 years ago toward his Social Security Retirement. That is not an immigration issue, however. That is something OP has to take up with the Social Security Administration after he becomes a US Permanent Resident again probably. Although being a Canadian, given US-Canada has an Totalization Agreement, he might be able to start something now. Again, that is not an immigration issue, but rather something to work out with the SSA.   

8 minutes ago, kid1412 said:

I think he wants to claim credits for those years that he worked in the US 50 years ago toward his Social Security Retirement. That is not an immigration issue, however. That is something OP has to take up with the Social Security Administration after he becomes a US Permanent Resident again probably. Although being a Canadian, given US-Canada has an Totalization Agreement, he might be able to start something now. Again, that is not an immigration issue, but rather something to work out with the SSA.   

I was just curious because OP said is retired and worked less than 4 years in the US, and I understand you need 10 years/40 quarters to qualify for benefits. So I wondered if there was some other angle or something I’d missed entirely.

16 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I was just curious because OP said is retired and worked less than 4 years in the US, and I understand you need 10 years/40 quarters to qualify for benefits. So I wondered if there was some other angle or something I’d missed entirely.

Right, but there are US-Canada bilateral agreements as I mentioned above that would allow conversion of credits for the years he worked in Canada into the US system for Canadians who want to retire in the US, such as OP, and vice versa, US citizens who wants to retire in Canada, probably.

I, of course, have absolutely no idea how any of that works, but it's an issue OP has to start digging into with the US Social Security Administration. Again, this is not an immigration issue. 

I forgot to include the link. I certainly did not read any of these as I have absolutely no interest, but OP, this may be good reading for you:

https://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Texts/canada.html

Edited by kid1412

Ok I lied, I got curious, so I started reading a little bit. Here is the relevant part:

PART III

PROVISIONS ON BENEFITS

Chapter 1
PROVISIONS APPLICABLE TO THE UNITED STATES

ARTICLE VII

1. Where a person has completed at least six quarters of coverage under United States laws, but does not have sufficient quarters of coverage to satisfy the requirements for entitlement to benefits under United States laws, periods of coverage completed under the Canada Pension Plan shall be taken into account to the extent they do not coincide with calendar quarters already credited as quarters of coverage under United States laws.
  2. In determining eligibility for benefits under paragraph (1) of this Article, the agency of the United States shall credit four quarters of coverage for every year of contributions under the Canada Pension Plan certified as creditable by the agency of Canada; however, no quarter of coverage shall be credited for any calendar quarter already credited as a quarter of coverage under United States laws. The total number of quarters of coverage to be credited for a year shall not exceed four.
  3. Where entitlement to a benefit under United States laws is established according to the provisions of paragraph (1) of this Article, the agency of the United States shall compute a pro rata primary insurance amount in accordance with United States laws based on the duration of the person's periods of coverage credited under United States laws. Benefits payable under United States laws shall be based on the pro rata primary insurance amount.
  4. Entitlement to a benefit from the United States which results from paragraph (1) of this Article shall terminate with the acquisition of sufficient periods of coverage under United States laws to establish entitlement to an equal or higher benefit without the need to invoke the provisions of paragraph (1) of this Article.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, kid1412 said:

I agree, it is a non-issue. They approved the I-130, that's what matters. As mentioned, you can just start to fill in those info (if needed) on the DS-260 and other forms. If later anyone asks (which I don't think anyone will), you can just tell the truth: I didn't remember, it was 50 years ago, I didn't have the information with me, ... 

Anyway, what I meant earlier was this form. You said your son filed the I-130 for you and it was approved. He would have received something like this. As mentioned, I didn't fill in the beneficiary A-number either when I did the I-130 for my mom (didn't even know she had one at that time). When this was approved, it was the same number on a different petition/different case that was 15 years ago, and they made that connection. Again, I don't know about 50 years ago as they wasn't a computer database back then probably, but who knows. 

2019023908_I-130approvalnotice.thumb.jpg.6232e0f09753f6c4e4ea3ff873b622cf.jpg

Ah, we never got such an official-looking document - just a notice from NVC that "The U.S. Department of State's National Visa Center (NVC) received your approved immigrant visa petition from U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services" etc. At least I don't have anything else. Maybe my son does??

6 minutes ago, inga44 said:

Ah, we never got such an official-looking document - just a notice from NVC that "The U.S. Department of State's National Visa Center (NVC) received your approved immigrant visa petition from U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services" etc. At least I don't have anything else. Maybe my son does??

Yes, it would have been sent to the address of the petitioner (your son). 

Edited by kid1412

Timeline
On 10/16/2018 at 12:32 PM, kid1412 said:

You said your I-130 is approved, right? On the approval notice, at the beneficiary section, does it give an A-number? If yes, does it match your old A-number (should be on the old GC from 50 years ago)?

So, you do not have any memory that you had a Green card from 50 years ago?

I asked my son to look for the approval notice (Form I-797), and he sent me a scanned copy. It does not have an A-number. 
I now got the impression it's not important anyway. But I'm glad I got the form now. :)

Timeline

I'm in the process of filling out the DS-260 online. There is, indeed, a place to report my previous alien registration number which I had forgotten about. I knew I had official permission to teach but did not realize that the same kind of alien registration/green card was already in place at that time. 

The DS-260 form is quite comprehensive, and it asks for a previous SS number as well. So I can report everything on it.

Thanks to all of you who chimed in to help! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.