Cristinac

Maiden name on GC by mistake

7 posts in this topic

Hello! 

I hope somebody can help me on this..

My maiden name is Sabbadin and when I got married I wanted to change it to my husband's last name (Clarke). We filed the paperwork for the GC in Clarke, however something went wrong along the process and my temporary GC came with "Sabbadin" on it. So, now my legal name is Sabbadin and the only document stating "Clarke" is my marriage license.

The question is..Will this be a problem to remove conditions and to apply for citizenship? 

Thank you

ps: at this point I am not interested to have "Clarke" as my legal name. I am totally ok with having "sabbadin".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This was just from a quick google search, but it sounds like you can get them to correct it: https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/displayTypoForm.do

I would make sure they correct it for whatever is registered as your legal name...assuming you actually got it legally changed (I'm not quite at the marriage stage yet, so am not as familiar with the particular parts of that). I would assume that it gets reported in some legal record somewhere (aside from the marriage certificate) that the name was changed, such as in State records.

You don't want to have conflicting documents like that I think, especially when you will be dealing with additional big USCIS events (as you mentioned). It's better to fix now instead of dealing with their confusion later.

1 hour ago, Cristinac said:

Hello! 

I hope somebody can help me on this..

My maiden name is Sabbadin and when I got married I wanted to change it to my husband's last name (Clarke). We filed the paperwork for the GC in Clarke, however something went wrong along the process and my temporary GC came with "Sabbadin" on it. So, now my legal name is Sabbadin and the only document stating "Clarke" is my marriage license.

The question is..Will this be a problem to remove conditions and to apply for citizenship? 

Thank you

ps: at this point I am not interested to have "Clarke" as my legal name. I am totally ok with having "sabbadin".

If you don't want to use "Clarke", then just leave it as is.  Many people do not change their name when they get married. I didn't and it was never questioned by immigration. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello I had the same issue as you. I went to immigration and asked to change it but it cost 590 dlls. So, I didn't do it, but when I went to ask for my SSN because it was delayed it I asked to change my legal name with my marriage certificate and it was not a problem, with that I got my drivers license also. So, my GC has my maiden name and my SSN, drivers license, bank accounts have my husband last name. And I just asked for removing the conditions on my GC so, I dont know what is gonna happens but I didnt think about it until I read you. now, Im worried.. 

10 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

If you don't want to use "Clarke", then just leave it as is.  Many people do not change their name when they get married. I didn't and it was never questioned by immigration. 

So the fact that my marriage license says that my married name is Cristina Clarke shouldn't create any problem? 

9 hours ago, Karla230515 said:

Hello I had the same issue as you. I went to immigration and asked to change it but it cost 590 dlls. So, I didn't do it, but when I went to ask for my SSN because it was delayed it I asked to change my legal name with my marriage certificate and it was not a problem, with that I got my drivers license also. So, my GC has my maiden name and my SSN, drivers license, bank accounts have my husband last name. And I just asked for removing the conditions on my GC so, I dont know what is gonna happens but I didnt think about it until I read you. now, Im worried.. 

Have you tried to call USCIS and ask what it would be best to do? Maybe they have an answer for you..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Cristinac said:

Have you tried to call USCIS and ask what it would be best to do? Maybe they have an answer for you..

Yes, but they said they don’t know until they check my case. I’m positive! Everything is gonna be fine! God bless you! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.