BrandyGirl

Support Document for IR5 VISA and Affidavit of Support.

32 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, BrandyGirl said:

Thanks very much for your answer. 

1. How long ago did you apply for the visa? How long does it take since you apply to the time your parents receive the interview email. I call the visa and they told me there is no option for me to send anything in the mail. I have to scan and upload all everything online. That is why I wonder about the bar code thing. 

--> I would say the DS-260 and all the support documents were received by NVC some times mid of July. On August 14th, NVC confirmed everything was in order and forwarded the case to the Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City to schedule an interview. The NVC emailed on Aug 31st that the interview was scheduled for Oct 2nd. 

If they told to you scan and upload the documents than I would do that. For me, the paper said I had to send all the paper copies documents in by mail to the NVC

My parents just finish and received the police report "lí lịch tư pháp số 2". I got the all form done. I do the form I864 and my husband does I864A (the contract)

2. Where did you get your Vietnamese file translate and stamp in the States?

--> https://translationpal.com/

I did all the translation there and everything was accepted by USCIS and State Department.

3. Death certificate, do I need death certificate of my grand parents?!? 

--> No. Sorry, that was for my case. My father passed away long time ago. No death certificate for grandparents needed. 

4. Do you think all the paperwork I meant above should be enough then? 

---> Sure, looks ok to me. I mean, if there is anything crucial missing, the NVC will tell you. Also, you will have chance to submit more documents at the interview if something is missing or not entire right. For example, I submitted the documents including the I-864 before my daughter was born. By the time the interview came, I already had a new kid. So all I did was printed out a new I-864 with that change and brought it with me to the interview. They asked if there is any change in the financial documents and I said I have a new affidavit of support and just gave it to them. It doesn't really matter because I make more  than the minimum required anyway, be it with or without a new baby. 

5. Beside the direction from the visa website. If you don't mind, please tell me what are the paperwork the agency tell your mom to prepare?! List of questions they might ask, maybe? 

--> Mostly anything and everything that proved ties between my mom and me, such as:

A. Pictures since I was born until now showing both of us. My mom had bags and bags and bags of pictures over the last 30 years, I mean just crazy. They sifted through all of that and picked out the best ones and put them on sheets of paper. Now, this point my seems silly, but you need to have some pictures with you at the interview, preferably some showing when you were a baby with your parents and some when you're grown up. When my wife sponsored her parents in 2014, they actually denied them the first time, giving them a 221(g) for the pictures. Totally insane. They had everything else. I don't know if that was because my wife's family is from the North, Ha Noi, so they just decided to be jackasses about it. As you may or may not know, all immigrant visas have to be processed at Ho Chi Minh Consulate, although the US Embassy is in Ha Noi. So my wife's entire family flew from Ha Noi to Saigon, went to the interview, got the 221(g) for pictures, flew back to Ha Noi to get the pictures, flew back to Ho Chi Minh to submit the pictures, and waited for like 2 weeks before they finally issued the visas. It was just crazy. I am from Saigon, so didn't have that problem, but whhoossh.

B. Phone logs, emails, messages between you and your parents. I think this may be optional. Most people use Viber or Facebook or whatever messaging apps nowadays to call anyway. But I use the v247 call ( Nguyen Ngoc Ngan) to call the regular phone occasionally so I called them and they were able to print out like a 3 years history of calls, which was fantastic. As I said, optional. 

C. Records of money sent. Optional.

D. Yes, they have list of possible questions. They will also schedule 3-4 training sessions to do mock interview for your parents.  

6. They interview her in Vietnamese right? 

--> Yes, interview was in Vietnamese.  I am also sure that the American officer is fluent in Vietnamese and understood everything in Vietnamese, though not allow to interact with the interviewees in Vietnamese.

7. It really cost your mom "22 trieu" for the agency to put a few files together?

--> Yes, it really did. 24 trieu actually. USD is 23.5 now and they round up, not down lol. 

Edited by kid1412

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/15/2018 at 8:54 AM, kid1412 said:

Also, I forgot to mention, if your parents want to hire a service to help them organize the paperworks, pictures, coach them for the interview, they can even help you with all these paperworks at the NVC, ... that all part of the service. My mom hired one, mostly for her own comfort. Part of the service is helping the US petitioner to complete the paperwork at NVC correctly too. It is pricey, but it's worth it. For me, I did all the paperwork myself because I am too #######-retentive to let someone else do my paperwork. So they only helped my mom prepare for her documents and coached her for the interview. In my opinion, they're pretty knowledgeable, at least to get all the paperwork done. Totally your choice, just want to mention it.  

Please tell me the question list, if you dont mind. I do understand your mom pay a lot of money for it. About the photos, about how many photo they pick out for her? My parents got about 15 pictures of me and them together since baby, and my wedding, and my most recent vacay trip to vietnam. Someone told me not to overwhelm the officer with 50 photos lol. 

I talk to my mom extensively on facebook messenger, some chat too. There is no way I can prove that except show them the phone. Lol 

Yes, I did talk to the phone agent 3 times. They actually get their supervisor to confirm that they dont need the translate copy if the interview will happen in Vietnam. I call right before midnight, pretty much no wait 😁. If you call them mid day, the wait might drive you insane. 

What do you do with health insurance when your mom get here. My insurance wont pay for parents. 

16 minutes ago, BrandyGirl said:

Please tell me the question list, if you dont mind. I do understand your mom pay a lot of money for it. About the photos, about how many photo they pick out for her? My parents got about 15 pictures of me and them together since baby, and my wedding, and my most recent vacay trip to vietnam. Someone told me not to overwhelm the officer with 50 photos lol. 

I talk to my mom extensively on facebook messenger, some chat too. There is no way I can prove that except show them the phone. Lol 

Yes, I did talk to the phone agent 3 times. They actually get their supervisor to confirm that they dont need the translate copy if the interview will happen in Vietnam. I call right before midnight, pretty much no wait 😁. If you call them mid day, the wait might drive you insane. 

What do you do with health insurance when your mom get here. My insurance wont pay for parents. 

I'd say probably 20-30 photos. It doesn't matter anyway, because they did not look at it at all. But read what they did to my wife's parents above.

You won't be allowed the phone in there. Don't worry about the messenger thing, it'll be fine. 

If they told you no translated copy, then it'll be fine. I was just a overly cautious person. 

I honestly don't know about the question list. I mom did all that with them. I don't think they ever gave her a list. They just sat her down and started asking questions pretending it was the interview. Mostly it is about your relationship with them. Make sure your parents know your address, what you do for work, what your husband do for work, how much money you make, how many cars you have, what colors, do you rent or own your house, if rent how much a month, if you own, is there a mortgage,  how long you have left on the mortgage, do you have any kids, what are their names, do you have any dog/cat, name of the dog/cat, what color,  how many years have you been in America, how did you go to America in the first place, did you go to school, what are the names of the schools, what they want to do after they get to America, and on and on blah blah blah

For you, make sure you know your parents' address, places they lived since they were 16 (this is actually a question on the DS-260), make sure your answers match with your parents...

Insurance? I'll probably do the Obamacare at healthcare.gov, unless you have a better idea.  

Edited by kid1412

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Those questions seem more appropriate to a Spouse or Fiancee.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

16 minutes ago, kid1412 said:

I'd say probably 20-30 photos. It doesn't matter anyway, because they did not look at it at all. But read what they did to my wife's parents above.

You won't be allowed the phone in there. Don't worry about the messenger thing, it'll be fine. 

If they told you no translated copy, then it'll be fine. I was just a overly cautious person. 

I honestly don't know about the question list. I mom did all that with them. I don't think they ever gave her a list. They just sat her down and started asking questions pretending it was the interview. Mostly it is about your relationship with them. Make sure your parents know your address, what you do for work, what your husband do for work, how much money you make, how many cars you have, what colors, do you rent or own your house, if rent how much a month, if you own, is there a mortgage,  how long you have left on the mortgage, do you have any kids, what are their names, do you have any dog/cat, name of the dog/cat, what color,  how many years have you been in America, how did you go to America in the first place, did you go to school, what are the names of the schools, what they want to do after they get to America, and on and on blah blah blah

For you, make sure you know your parents' address, places they lived since they were 16 (this is actually a question on the DS-260), make sure your answers match with your parents...

Insurance? I'll probably do the Obamacare at healthcare.gov, unless you have a better idea.  

Wait, you-the petioner have to be there for the interview too?!? 

I read what they did to your wife parents. Better to be safe than sorry right. 

My father went to reducated camp  "lính chế độ cũ, có đi học tập cải tạo" so I hope they will be nicer to him lol. 

ObamaCare is pretty much all I can find. According my last year tax rerurn file jointly, we dont qualify for it. The enrollment start in 16 days. Although my father is 71 so I hear he qualify for Medicare. 

Timeline

After 5 years as a LPR he will qualify to buy into Medicare, assume he will not get the 'free' bit through having worked.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I know right, parents in US dont know that much about their children either. 😁My father in law would fail the interview miserably, I dont think he can answer any of those question about my husband. 

But then again, I would rather to be safe than sorry. 

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

After 5 years as a LPR he will qualify to buy into Medicare, assume he will not get the 'free' bit through having worked.

I dont think he can get it free anywhere. He have to pay somewhere around 200$-400$ if he want part C and D. But he did his own research and wantes to be a Walmart door greeter as soon as he get his work permit and use their insurance instead. I dont know, but it kinda funny. 

Timeline

Part A is currently $422 a month, what it will be in 5 years who knows. As you mentioned there are also other add ons.

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Part A is currently $422 a month, what it will be in 5 years who knows. As you mentioned there are also other add ons.

Im thinking I might just stay at home for a year. Not too hard for a realtor to do that.  Let our income fall under maximum limit to be qualify for ObamaCare for just 1 year. Once either once of my parents find any minimum wages job that offer insurance, we will get off OBC right away. 

49 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I agree too. I drew the line with them when they started asking what kind of underwear I was wearing when I was 18. Just kidding

I think that's what those people are "specialized" in lol, the CR1/K-1 visas. As I said the whole thing was because my mom wanted it and since she has the time and money to pay for it, what can I say. 

Edited by kid1412

45 minutes ago, BrandyGirl said:

Wait, you-the petioner have to be there for the interview too?!? 

--> No. I chose to be there but you don't have to. On the same day of my mom's interview, there were at least 2 other mothers who were sponsored by their child. Their kids didn't come and I believe they were fine. 

I read what they did to your wife parents. Better to be safe than sorry right. 

--> Exactly. They know they can't stop you, but it's annoying when they tried stuff like that just to be jackass. 

My father went to reducated camp  "lính chế độ cũ, có đi học tập cải tạo" so I hope they will be nicer to him lol. 

ObamaCare is pretty much all I can find. According my last year tax rerurn file jointly, we dont qualify for it. The enrollment start in 16 days. Although my father is 71 so I hear he qualify for Medicare. 

--> My plan was to file for her as a separate household. We will not claim her as dependent. She will just file as a household of one person, with zero income. Also, after 5 years, they can qualify for Medicaid. That's what my in-laws are on right now. If they're under 65, it's just straight Medicaid, no cost. If they're over 65, they can do conditional Medicare, which means basically they will be on Medicare, with the State Medicaid Agency pays for the premium for Medicare, because it is cheaper for them to do that. That's how my in-law's doing that. 

Timeline
40 minutes ago, BrandyGirl said:

Im thinking I might just stay at home for a year. Not too hard for a realtor to do that.  Let our income fall under maximum limit to be qualify for ObamaCare for just 1 year. Once either once of my parents find any minimum wages job that offer insurance, we will get off OBC right away. 

I really do not know to what extent minimum wage jobs come with good Medical Insurance, my impression was that it is not common. Also check to see of the other spouse can be included and if so at what cost.

Medicaid, well usually you need 5 years to qualify, I know NY and CA are exceptions.

1 hour ago, kid1412 said:

--> No. I chose to be there but you don't have to. On the same day of my mom's interview, there were at least 2 other mothers who were sponsored by their child. Their kids didn't come and I believe they were fine. 

--> Exactly. They know they can't stop you, but it's annoying when they tried stuff like that just to be jackass. 

--> My plan was to file for her as a separate household. We will not claim her as dependent. She will just file as a household of one person, with zero income. Also, after 5 years, they can qualify for Medicaid. That's what my in-laws are on right now. If they're under 65, it's just straight Medicaid, no cost. If they're over 65, they can do conditional Medicare, which means basically they will be on Medicare, with the State Medicaid Agency pays for the premium for Medicare, because it is cheaper for them to do that. That's how my in-law's doing that. 

But you sponsor your mother. How can you file her as seperate household. I thought within 5 years you must claim her as your dependent. It seems like a very very good plan. Thank you. I will keep that in mind. How did your in laws get insurance before the 5 years mark? 

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

I really do not know to what extent minimum wage jobs come with good Medical Insurance, my impression was that it is not common. Also check to see of the other spouse can be included and if so at what cost.

Medicaid, well usually you need 5 years to qualify, I know NY and CA are exceptions.

Probably not, but at least they have option to pick and choose between that and OBC. Yes the walmart one include spouse and kids at extra cost. My parents are very healthy, no major health condt. What they afraid of is like appendix burst or some sort of emergency, accidents..... etc. Plus if we live on military installation that large enough to have an emergency room, there are paperwork I can do so they can use that facility too. Unfortunetaly, Fort Leavenworth doesnt have one. Hopefully we will have that at our the next place.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.