BrandyGirl

Support Document for IR5 VISA and Affidavit of Support.

32 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, Im kinda all over the place right now. I really need help with the online Visa Application. Most of the information I found online are for mail package.

My parents are both in Vietnam. I must apply for the Visa and the Affidavit of Support online,  they don't accept it any other way :mellow:

I'm the petitioner, and my husband is my Household member. Our joined income exceed the Poverty Guideline, however just to be safe I add our shared bank account checking/saving. We have no children. I'm the only child.

So far this is what I got for Support Document

Petitioner:

Joined Tax, W2, 1099 of 2017, 2016, and 2015

My Naturalization certificate

My divorce paper

My Name Change Document (I change my name in 2017)

Our Marriage Certificate

My Birth Certificate (Vietnamese & translate copy)

My husband Birth Certificate (he was born in US)

My work verify Document

My husband Work Document in the US Army (a scan copy of his Military ID, Enlisted document, Commission Officer Document)

My paycheck stub (from Mar-Sep 2018)

My husband paycheck Stub (from Mar-Sep 2018)

Our shared bank account statements (checking, saving, nearest days from September to NOW)

Beneficiary (my parents)

Passport (copy)

Birth Certificate (Vietnamese copy)

Marriage Certificate (Vietnamese copy and translate copy)

Police Clearance ( A paper said that they are not involve in anything illegal)

My Old Family Census Book (Back when I still live with my parents in VN, also in Vietnamese/translate copy)

My dad military record from the Vietnam War. The South Vietnam government system back then is destroyed so his record is very limit.

:help::help:

1. My husband can not obtain "Employment Verification", the office personnel told him it is officer commission contract along with his paycheck stub called the LES leave and earning statement. Will that be okay ?

2. Do I need the cover letter for online application ? I have cover letter for every package I sent to USCIS. I've been doing this on my own since my 2 year green card. However this is the first time I deal with this online new thing :wacko:. Honestly I feel very unsure and uncomfortable.

3. I don't see the NVC Barcode anywhere. I filled out the visa application but a haven't SUBMIT yet so I don't know what come after that. Is it something they give you after you hit Submit? Do you print that out and upload ?

4. I saw someone mention "NVC Barcode Page for Application for Immigrant visa and Alien Registration & proof of payment of fees" , Can anyone please tell me what is it? and how to get it? I paid the Affidavit of Support fee, and the Visa Application fee on the website. It took them a week to verify the fee, only then they let me fill out/up load the document.

5. I called the NVC phone line and ask about the translation of the document and they told me while it would help but not necessary. Is it really truth? I meant I just talk to 1 person and assume she knows what she talking about.

6. What is PASSPORT BIOGRAPHIC DATA?

Anyone have experience with online visa application, please help me. Thank you very very much. :thumbs:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BrandyGirl said:

Hey everyone, Im kinda all over the place right now. I really need help with the online Visa Application. Most of the information I found online are for mail package.

My parents are both in Vietnam. I must apply for the Visa and the Affidavit of Support online,  they don't accept it any other way :mellow:

I'm the petitioner, and my husband is my Household member. Our joined income exceed the Poverty Guideline, however just to be safe I add our shared bank account checking/saving. We have no children. I'm the only child.

So far this is what I got for Support Document

Petitioner:

Joined Tax, W2, 1099 of 2017, 2016, and 2015

My Naturalization certificate

My divorce paper

My Name Change Document (I change my name in 2017)

Our Marriage Certificate

My Birth Certificate (Vietnamese & translate copy)

My husband Birth Certificate (he was born in US)

My work verify Document

My husband Work Document in the US Army (a scan copy of his Military ID, Enlisted document, Commission Officer Document)

My paycheck stub (from Mar-Sep 2018)

My husband paycheck Stub (from Mar-Sep 2018)

Our shared bank account statements (checking, saving, nearest days from September to NOW)

Beneficiary (my parents)

Passport (copy)

Birth Certificate (Vietnamese copy)

Marriage Certificate (Vietnamese copy and translate copy)

Police Clearance ( A paper said that they are not involve in anything illegal)

My Old Family Census Book (Back when I still live with my parents in VN, also in Vietnamese/translate copy)

My dad military record from the Vietnam War. The South Vietnam government system back then is destroyed so his record is very limit.

:help::help:

1. My husband can not obtain "Employment Verification", the office personnel told him it is officer commission contract along with his paycheck stub called the LES leave and earning statement. Will that be okay ?

2. Do I need the cover letter for online application ? I have cover letter for every package I sent to USCIS. I've been doing this on my own since my 2 year green card. However this is the first time I deal with this online new thing :wacko:. Honestly I feel very unsure and uncomfortable. 

3. I don't see the NVC Barcode anywhere. I filled out the visa application but a haven't SUBMIT yet so I don't know what come after that. Is it something they give you after you hit Submit? Do you print that out and upload ?

4. I saw someone mention "NVC Barcode Page for Application for Immigrant visa and Alien Registration & proof of payment of fees" , Can anyone please tell me what is it? and how to get it? I paid the Affidavit of Support fee, and the Visa Application fee on the website. It took them a week to verify the fee, only then they let me fill out/up load the document.

5. I called the NVC phone line and ask about the translation of the document and they told me while it would help but not necessary. Is it really truth? I meant I just talk to 1 person and assume she knows what she talking about.

6. What is PASSPORT BIOGRAPHIC DATA?

Anyone have experience with online visa application, please help me. Thank you very very much. :thumbs:

Beside all that I mention above. Do I need anything else? I read about 2 passport photos of the beneficiary with name and DOB written on the back. I don't see that on the instruction. Do  my parents need that?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Hi, i am sure someone more knowledgeable will help you with your question but just wanted to remind you that coping or scanning military ID is violation of Title 18, U.S. Code, Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701 and are punishable by fine and/or imprisonment. Although  establishments may request to see military/government identification, they may not photocopy or duplicate it in any way.

http://www.dodlive.mil/2017/05/11/did-you-know-photocopying-a-government-id-is-illegal/

I have seen someone i know had issue due to photocopying and sending out military ID. You may want to think about that. 

And i wish you all the luck,

I just did the whole thing for my mom so I think I can help a little bit. 

1) See what the other guy said about copying a military ID. I don't know anything about that but I think best not to send in that copy of military ID, just to be on the safe side. I don't think you need to send in copy of his military ID anyway. I think whatever paperwork the military said he can send it (commission contract along with his paycheck stub or whatever) is fine. 

2) No, online you just need to complete the DS-260 and submit. Note that NVC will not review anything until they receive the DS-260 (online) AND all the supporting docs (you have to send in by mail). 

3) The barcode is in the first email/letter the NVC sent to you when they first received the case from USCIS (Welcome letter). That document has several pages, including the AOS invoice number, the case number, ... The last page I think has a checklist with the barcode on the top and it says "When you send your documents to us, place them in the order shown below, and put this cover sheet on top". Just follow that for the documents that you're gonna send in. 

4) See #3. 

5) That might be true. However, I tend to be overly cautious on these things, than to be sorry. So if something I had in Vietnamese, I had it translated into English. My birth certificate, my mom's birth certificate, any divorce degrees, death certificates, the Vietnamese police certificate ... I submitted all to NVC both a Vietnamese and an English translation. I know for sure at the Consulate in Vietnam, you don't have to bring in the English translation, but did not how it would go at the NVC so I wanted to overkill. 

6) PASSPORT BIOGRAPHIC DATA: that's just the front page that has the picture and expiration date. Note: passport needs to be at least 6 month validity by the time they issue the visa, so if your folks' passports are approaching that, they need to get new ones done. It's pretty easy in Vietnam, take like a week. 

7) The 2 passport photos they have to have it when they come in for the interview, along with the medical stuff. 

Some notes of my own:

- In that checklist that I mentioned on #3, it says "tax transcripts" and "tax returns", so I sent in both. Tax transcripts can be access for free on the IRS website. I took that "tax returns" means the 1040 so I sent that in as well. If you have your W2s and your husband military version of the W2s, send that in as well. Again, just to be overly cautious. 

- You didn't mention the Affidavit of Support. That is a key document that you must have. You need both form I-864 and I-864A because you will be using both of you and your husband's income to sponsor.  You send this in along with all the other supporting documents. 

- The Vietnamese police certificate: You said "Police Clearance ( A paper said that they are not involve in anything illegal)". You probably have it right already but just to clarify, this is a specific form that your parents have to get done. It's called "lý lịch tư pháp số 2". They can get it done at "Sở Tư pháp" in Ho Chi Minh city. Also, if your parents had lived in any country other than Vietnam for a period of more than 1 year (or is it 6 months? I don't remember, you can check), they need the police cert. from that country as well. 

That all I can think of for now. I  can share the interview experience in the different post. 

Also, I forgot to mention, if your parents want to hire a service to help them organize the paperworks, pictures, coach them for the interview, they can even help you with all these paperworks at the NVC, ... that all part of the service. My mom hired one, mostly for her own comfort. Part of the service is helping the US petitioner to complete the paperwork at NVC correctly too. It is pricey, but it's worth it. For me, I did all the paperwork myself because I am too #######-retentive to let someone else do my paperwork. So they only helped my mom prepare for her documents and coached her for the interview. In my opinion, they're pretty knowledgeable, at least to get all the paperwork done. Totally your choice, just want to mention it.  

Edited by kid1412

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
43 minutes ago, kid1412 said:

Also, I forgot to mention, if your parents want to hire a service to help them organize the paperworks, pictures, coach them for the interview, they can even help you with all these paperworks at the NVC, ... that all part of the service. My mom hired one, mostly for her own comfort. Part of the service is helping the US petitioner to complete the paperwork at NVC correctly too. It is pricey, but it's worth it. For me, I did all the paperwork myself because I am too #######-retentive to let someone else do my paperwork. So they only helped my mom prepare for her documents and coached her for the interview. In my opinion, they're pretty knowledgeable, at least to get all the paperwork done. Totally your choice, just want to mention it.  

Which 'service'?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Which 'service'?

http://toancauvisa.com/

Again, this is just something my mom got. I think she found them through the internet or the newspaper or something. She just wanted someone to help her with the paperwork and coach her for the interview and since I am not there, it would make her more comfortable. I interacted with them through emails and had a final meeting with them in person couple days before the interview to review everything. I sent them documents so they could have information to prep my mom. They wanted to help me with the NVC paperwork but I told them no one is touching my paperwork except myself. As mentioned, my impression is that they're knowledgeable and know their stuff and did a good job prepping my mom.  They charged $1000 (24 mill VND), which  I think is insane, but my mom wanted it, and of course paid for it, so she got it. Again, I am in no way benefiting from this place, just telling what happened. 

Of course, there are a thousand more services just like these. All you need to do is to go in front of the US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh in the morning, and boys, they will come at ya.

Edited by kid1412

Timeline

That sounds a lot money in the US, no doubt a fortune locally.

So you sponsored your Mum to immigrate, just wondering what questions are involved, her basis is factual, being your Mother.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

33 minutes ago, Boiler said:

That sounds a lot money in the US, no doubt a fortune locally.

So you sponsored your Mum to immigrate, just wondering what questions are involved, her basis is factual, being your Mother.

I was told later that actually it was on the low side of things, since this is only an IR-5 case. If it was CR-1/IR-1/K-1/3, it would be like $2,500-$3,000. 

My sister-in-law did an CR-1 case in 2014-2015 right after a divorce and I think she paid north of $2,000. Her comment after everything was done was "worth every penny"! Again, to you and me, it's totally non-sense to pay someone thousands of dollars to do some paperwork and preps but because we speak English and navigated the US immigration system on our own. To someone who does't speak the language and scared shitless of the interview at the Embassy, it may be worth it. Their money, their choice. 

When I have time, I will write a post detail my experiences at the interview with my Mom, cause it has some interesting details. For now the short version is that I flew more than 10,000 miles to be there and the guy asked a grand total of 2 questions to my mom:

1) Ma'am, how did you son get to go to the US?  (Which it took every fiber in me to restrain myself from screaming from across the glass "by airplane, you idiot! Do I look like the type of person would take the boat?" - Sorry bad joke ).  Of course I let my mom answer that. I first came on J-1 and F-1 and H1B blah blah blah 

2) What is the marital status of your son? (Again, the guy had my tax return right in front of him where it clearly states "married filing joinly", just basically a rhetorical question). 

That's it! Then "Congratulations, you visa has been approved. Welcome to America!"

Timeline

Well if you think about it what could they ask a Parent?

Might be an issue of they think she is not your Mother, other than that it is down your US Citizenship and ability to Support.

5 hours ago, kid1412 said:

I just did the whole thing for my mom so I think I can help a little bit. 

1) See what the other guy said about copying a military ID. I don't know anything about that but I think best not to send in that copy of military ID, just to be on the safe side. I don't think you need to send in copy of his military ID anyway. I think whatever paperwork the military said he can send it (commission contract along with his paycheck stub or whatever) is fine. 

2) No, online you just need to complete the DS-260 and submit. Note that NVC will not review anything until they receive the DS-260 (online) AND all the supporting docs (you have to send in by mail). 

3) The barcode is in the first email/letter the NVC sent to you when they first received the case from USCIS (Welcome letter). That document has several pages, including the AOS invoice number, the case number, ... The last page I think has a checklist with the barcode on the top and it says "When you send your documents to us, place them in the order shown below, and put this cover sheet on top". Just follow that for the documents that you're gonna send in. 

4) See #3. 

5) That might be true. However, I tend to be overly cautious on these things, than to be sorry. So if something I had in Vietnamese, I had it translated into English. My birth certificate, my mom's birth certificate, any divorce degrees, death certificates, the Vietnamese police certificate ... I submitted all to NVC both a Vietnamese and an English translation. I know for sure at the Consulate in Vietnam, you don't have to bring in the English translation, but did not how it would go at the NVC so I wanted to overkill. 

6) PASSPORT BIOGRAPHIC DATA: that's just the front page that has the picture and expiration date. Note: passport needs to be at least 6 month validity by the time they issue the visa, so if your folks' passports are approaching that, they need to get new ones done. It's pretty easy in Vietnam, take like a week. 

7) The 2 passport photos they have to have it when they come in for the interview, along with the medical stuff. 

Some notes of my own:

- In that checklist that I mentioned on #3, it says "tax transcripts" and "tax returns", so I sent in both. Tax transcripts can be access for free on the IRS website. I took that "tax returns" means the 1040 so I sent that in as well. If you have your W2s and your husband military version of the W2s, send that in as well. Again, just to be overly cautious. 

- You didn't mention the Affidavit of Support. That is a key document that you must have. You need both form I-864 and I-864A because you will be using both of you and your husband's income to sponsor.  You send this in along with all the other supporting documents. 

- The Vietnamese police certificate: You said "Police Clearance ( A paper said that they are not involve in anything illegal)". You probably have it right already but just to clarify, this is a specific form that your parents have to get done. It's called "lý lịch tư pháp số 2". They can get it done at "Sở Tư pháp" in Ho Chi Minh city. Also, if your parents had lived in any country other than Vietnam for a period of more than 1 year (or is it 6 months? I don't remember, you can check), they need the police cert. from that country as well. 

That all I can think of for now. I  can share the interview experience in the different post. 

Thanks very much for your answer. 

1. How long ago did you apply for the visa? How long does it take since you apply to the time your parents receive the interview email. I call the visa and they told me there is no option for me to send anything in the mail. I have to scan and upload all everything online. That is why I wonder about the bar code thing. 

My parents just finish and received the police report "lí lịch tư pháp số 2". I got the all form done. I do the form I864 and my husband does I864A (the contract)

2. Where did you get your Vietnamese file translate and stamp in the States?

3. Death certificate, do I need death certificate of my grand parents?!? 

4. Do you think all the paperwork I meant above should be enough then? 

5. Beside the direction from the visa website. If you don't mind, please tell me what are the paperwork the agency tell your mom to prepare?! List of questions they might ask, maybe? 

6. They interview her in Vietnamese right? 

7. It really cost your mom "22 trieu" for the agency to put a few files together?

I really wish to ask you all this in Vietnamese as I'm not an native English speaker. :rolleyes: but I'm sure its against the forum rule. I did not know about this place until my friend set this up for me a couple days ago. Her case is different than mine so she couldn't be any help.

Thanks very much again. 

4 hours ago, kid1412 said:

http://toancauvisa.com/

Again, this is just something my mom got. I think she found them through the internet or the newspaper or something. She just wanted someone to help her with the paperwork and coach her for the interview and since I am not there, it would make her more comfortable. I interacted with them through emails and had a final meeting with them in person couple days before the interview to review everything. I sent them documents so they could have information to prep my mom. They wanted to help me with the NVC paperwork but I told them no one is touching my paperwork except myself. As mentioned, my impression is that they're knowledgeable and know their stuff and did a good job prepping my mom.  They charged $1000 (24 mill VND), which  I think is insane, but my mom wanted it, and of course paid for it, so she got it. Again, I am in no way benefiting from this place, just telling what happened. 

Of course, there are a thousand more services just like these. All you need to do is to go in front of the US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh in the morning, and boys, they will come at ya.

Never mind question 7, the link you gave me finally load. Thanks

32 minutes ago, kid1412 said:

I don't see anything you wrote ??

Please see what I wrote in the last 2 posts. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.