MichaelD1980

I have no income & no assets, will that affect my wife's chance to get a U.S. visa even if she has a joint sponsor?

116 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

@MichaelD1980

To clarify a few things. This is not how it works. YOU are responsible for your wife. US will want to see how you will take care of your wife in the long run. Your sister is not responsible for her. She can help by being a joint sponsor, but she can’t be the primary sponsor.

I know and I understand she can't be the primary sponsor, I will still be the primary sponsor even though my sister is the joint sponsor, I was told by a company that is helping me (I won't give the name) but they are like an immigration lawyer just cheaper, they told me they have had other clients with cases like mine and the beneficiary still got approved a visa because they had a joint sponsor, weather that is true or not I'm not sure but that's what they told me, I hope their right.

5 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

This might hit you a little hard, but social anxiety is usually made worse by having a partner to lean on.  I've been there and it happens to me every time I'm in a relationship.    Try and be strong for her sake and develop your own friends, life, and career.  

Thanks, I am trying to be strong for her, I really am, I just wish some of the people here would please try to be more understanding, don't they think I want to have a good paying job and get my wife to the U.S. and be able to go on trips and places like Kings island without having panic attacks and being miserable, I don't like the way I am, I hate it.

12 minutes ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

BS. That's what the joint sponsor is for. It's not about him providing for her. It's about her not becoming a public charge. That's what the joint sponsor is for.

Thank you Em Vandaveer for standing up for me. I'm gonna lay down awhile, I was already upset and stressed over a lot of things before I posted this now I feel worse, sorry.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, MichaelD1980 said:

Yes my cousin was gonna co-sponsor my wife but my cousin changed her mind, people are just not understanding this, sorry if I'm confusing everyone, I would not be the one working in the internet cafe, it was an idea for my wife.

you are really a foreigner

we don't have internet cafes like foreign countries

yes,  we have WIFI in most places but they are not internet cafes

so, you post u have $82,000 and then say i did but it is gone and now say "i never had it,  i was just asking if possible if i had it"

bogus post for sure

we are here in VJ to seriously get help and help others 

nothing you said can be taken seriously

Edited by adil-rafa

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
16 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

so, you post u have $82,000 and then say i did but it is gone and now say "i never had it,  i was just asking if possible if i had it"

bogus post for sure

i thought this about the time he said he got those quesitons answered by calling immigration

we all know they don't tell you anything

they just read the notes from the last letter you received

Yes you can use a joint sponsor.

The CO makes a decision based on the totality of the circumstances. If the CO believes you won't be able to provide for her and the joint sponsor is unlikely to actually provide the support in the meantime, they can still refuse the visa.

Nobody here knows if the CO will approve or deny on public charge grounds, nor do they know all of your circumstances.

Having some sort of reliable income source yourself (alongside or replacing SSI) would be beneficial either way.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

34 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

bogus post for sure

Very funny, I AM NOT a foreigner, I am 100% AMERICAN. the internet cafe was an idea for my Filipina wife to run while she is in the Philippines and I was just thinking at one time about maybe moving to the Philippines if I could not bring her here to the U.S. with me but that idea just would not work and I would not want to live anywhere except for here in the great U.S.A. LETS MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Just now, MichaelD1980 said:

Very funny, I AM NOT a foreigner, I am 100% AMERICAN. the internet cafe was an idea for my Filipina wife to run while she is in the Philippines and I was just thinking at one time about maybe moving to the Philippines if I could not bring her here to the U.S. with me but that idea just would not work and I would not want to live anywhere except for here in the great U.S.A. LETS MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

If u like maybe we could chat on fb video call then u will see I am an American, and VERY proud to be so.

24 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Yes you can use a joint sponsor.

The CO makes a decision based on the totality of the circumstances. If the CO believes you won't be able to provide for her and the joint sponsor is unlikely to actually provide the support in the meantime, they can still refuse the visa.

Nobody here knows if the CO will approve or deny on public charge grounds, nor do they know all of your circumstances.

Having some sort of reliable income source yourself (alongside or replacing SSI) would be beneficial either way.

Yeah, thanks for your reply.

30 minutes ago, kris&me said:

i thought this about the time he said he got those quesitons answered by calling immigration

NVC did tell me they accept joint sponsors but its up to the interviewer to make the final decision. and I am American. I wish I never came here for help, all I got was more upset.

36 minutes ago, kris&me said:

36 minutes ago, kris&me said:

I AM NOT a foreigner, I am 100% AMERICAN. the internet cafe was an idea for my Filipina wife to run while she is in the Philippines and I was just thinking at one time about maybe moving to the Philippines if I could not bring her here to the U.S. with me but that idea just would not work and I would not want to live anywhere except for here in the great U.S.A.

Filed: Timeline

Sooo many things wrong with this thread, unbelievable.

OP, as you've been told - you can have your sister be a joint sponsor. This is done all the time. People were trying to tell you only that she isn't sponsoring your wife (directly) per se, she is technically sponsoring YOU, so that you can sponsor wife.

To everyone else thinking that mental illness is as simple as "man up" - oh boy. Y'all must have no idea. Also, why couldn't wife work and support husband once she gets here? What's so wrong with that? It's not the 1930's where women must sit at home and men must be the breadwinners. Every family makes it work however they wish. None of anyone else's business. Plus, once wife starts working - she is definitely NOT a public charge concern ;) 

4 minutes ago, poolemit said:

Sooo many things wrong with this thread, unbelievable.

OP, as you've been told - you can have your sister be a joint sponsor. This is done all the time. People were trying to tell you only that she isn't sponsoring your wife (directly) per se, she is technically sponsoring YOU, so that you can sponsor wife.

To everyone else thinking that mental illness is as simple as "man up" - oh boy. Y'all must have no idea. Also, why couldn't wife work and support husband once she gets here? What's so wrong with that? It's not the 1930's where women must sit at home and men must be the breadwinners. Every family makes it work however they wish. None of anyone else's business. Plus, once wife starts working - she is definitely NOT a public charge concern ;) 

Oh okay, thanks for your comment.

16 minutes ago, poolemit said:

Anytime, sir.

Do look into therapy and don't worry about what people think. Try to better yourself each day. Mental illness is very stigmatized but that too shall pass.

I'll try my best, thanks and I'll try not to worry about what people think, it just gets to me, u know? I mean I got on here for help and look at what everyone is saying to me, I'm sorry if they don't understand me or maybe I'm not making myself clear enough if so I'm sorry, and I had this one person thinking I'm some foreigner, I'm not, I'm an American and very proud of it.

Edited by MichaelD1980

2 minutes ago, MichaelD1980 said:

I'll try my best, thanks and I'll try not to worry about what people think, it just gets to me, u know? I mean I got on here for help and look at what everyone is saying to me, I'm sorry if they don't understand me or maybe I'm not making myself clear enough if so I'm sorry, and I had this one person thinking I'm some foreigner, I'm not, I'm an American and very proud of it.

VJ is one of the most judgemental and least supportive communities out there. Also, it's not against TOS to chastise people asking for advice or to give useless, unsolicited life advice. So don't beat yourself up about the treatment you got here 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.