MichaelD1980

I have no income & no assets, will that affect my wife's chance to get a U.S. visa even if she has a joint sponsor?

116 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MichaelD1980 said:

I called the USCIS, I told them my situation, they told me my SSI won't affect my wife getting a visa, I just won't be able to use list that income on the i-864, they said my income is inefficient and I will need a joint sponsor. I just want to get many more opentions.

8 minutes ago, kris&me said:

the co sponsor does not support the person

they have to pay back to government if the person becomes a liability such as welfare

you have to be able to support her

and you say,  you are getting SSI for disablity,  then what, work under the table??

if you can work,  you don't need SSI

I don't work under the table, I'm just gonna have to try to get a job even with  my disability

5 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

come on now. man up, get a job. plenty of jobs where you dont have to deal with the public or leave your house. heck, i have one of those and make pretty darn good money doing so (technically, i have THREE of those - but two are very part time- and when you combine my income from all 3 jobs i make darned good money! all without ever having to leave my safety net of a house, except for when i choose to)

lets grow up, suck it up, get a job, and stop living off taxpayers money and save it for those who TRULY CANT work.

im living proof you can have social anxiety, still have a job, still support a family, make good money, and never have to see a living soul unless you choose to.

I didn't come here to have people criticize  me, I was just asking for some help, some oppentions, sorry if no one understands my story. I will try to get this job and see how it works out.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

SS will help u find work or retrain for work

https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/workincentives.htm

We do not count the first $65 of earned income plus one–half of the amount over $65. Therefore, we reduce your SSI benefit only $1 for every $2 you earn over $65.

not sure finding a job is worth it if you are now recieiving SSI

as u also take the chance of loosing Medicare

25 minutes ago, MichaelD1980 said:

I'm gonna try, I have very bad social anxiety and panic attacks but I need to try

I’m sure anyone who can cope with sitting in a metal tube with 300 other people for hours and hours as you fly to the Philippines and with the thousands of people at the airports can cope with working in an office with 5 or 6 other people. Or you can work from home. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 minute ago, adil-rafa said:

SS will help u find work or retrain for work

https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/workincentives.htm

We do not count the first $65 of earned income plus one–half of the amount over $65. Therefore, we reduce your SSI benefit only $1 for every $2 you earn over $65.

not sure finding a job is worth it if you are now recieiving SSI

as u also take the chance of loosing Medicare

Yes, I know all about that, I talked to SSI they told me I will not lose my Medicare, and if I earn to much I can still keep my SSI eligibility status but I will not receive any payment from SSI, so I would be able to get my SSI back if I can't handle the job.

2 minutes ago, JFH said:

I’m sure anyone who can cope with sitting in a metal tube with 300 other people for hours and hours as you fly to the Philippines and with the thousands of people at the airports can cope with working in an office with 5 or 6 other people. Or you can work from home. 

Oh I've tried finding a job online where I can work from home, seems like there all scams. People just don't understand.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 hours ago, MichaelD1980 said:

Oh I've tried finding a job online where I can work from home, seems like there all scams. People just don't understand.

Try looking on Indeed and read company reviews, there are plenty of work from home jobs !

3 minutes ago, MichaelD1980 said:

Amazon hire that way. My employer has homeworkers too but they require airline experience. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Have you considered the costs involved in filing with USCIS and then NVC along with travel expenses to visit your wife? I understand that face time visits is a major factor in the eyes of a CO. 

Have you considered living in the Philippines? The downside is that you would lose your SSI after 30 days but your sister is willing to help. You might also be able to teach English in the Philippines but it would involve social interaction. 

Since you were able to travel to the Philippines to get married and manage to get an approval through USCIS, I'm thinking you might be able to so something in terms of employment. 

As per online jobs, have you considered teaching English online? VIPKids and Italki are excellent sites and are not scams. 

You have a tough road ahead and I honestly wish you Godspeed as you press through this journey.

Edited by C&AH

6 minutes ago, MichaelD1980 said:

Yes, I know all about that, I talked to SSI they told me I will not lose my Medicare, and if I earn to much I can still keep my SSI eligibility status but I will not receive any payment from SSI, so I would be able to get my SSI back if I can't handle the job.

This is the problem. You’re looking for ways to not work. You’re thinking negatively, assuming you won’t be able to do the job. According to your previous posts you’ve not worked in over 14 years. A lot has changed since you last worked. Employers are more understanding. There are programs to support people back into work. Why would you not be able to handle the job when you don’t even know what the job involves? As I said, and I say this to anyone who says they can’t work but seems perfectly capable of typing on here for hours, reading and responding to other posts, meeting people online, dating online, etc, most office jobs don’t involve much more than what you’re doing here. If you can fly to another country and spend time with someone from a completely different culture who you’ve never met before (probably one of the most socially awkward situations) then you can work in an office with people from your hometown. Or does your social anxiety not apply out of the country? 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

2 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

You're right, most work from home job ads are scams. Unless you have a specialized skill or you have established yourself within a company, working from home is not that easy. 

OP, you can definitely use your sister as a joint sponsor, no problem with that. Many people have used joint sponsors. 

Have you tried data entry jobs? Or something else where you don't have to interact with people? I don't know your skills or abilities, but there are career paths where you can be on your own. Working part time us also an option. 

No I never tried data jobs, could u tell me how I could get a data job and would I have to interact with anyone at all? I'm gonna try to see a doctor again .and get help with my disability, this is really hard, I couldn't even enjoy my trip to the Philippines as much as I would have liked to because of my problem, I mostly stayed in the hotel while I was there, if only I didn't have this stupid social anxiety I would have enjoyed my trip more.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

from all he has said in the past and is saying  is this poster for real?

has $82,000 for assests and now doesn't

has money to travel to  Phillipines to marry

has a wife who will work and support him

has a sister to support her

gets SSI and now can find a job?

this one is unbelievable

and i am sorrry for anyone that truly is on SSI with this condition

and i  am sorry if i am scepticle here 

1 minute ago, JFH said:

This is the problem. You’re looking for ways to not work. You’re thinking negatively, assuming you won’t be able to do the job. According to your previous posts you’ve not worked in over 14 years. A lot has changed since you last worked. Employers are more understanding. There are programs to support people back into work. Why would you not be able to handle the job when you don’t even know what the job involves? As I said, and I say this to anyone who says they can’t work but seems perfectly capable of typing on here for hours, reading and responding to other posts, meeting people online, dating online, etc, most office jobs don’t involve much more than what you’re doing here. If you can fly to another country and spend time with someone from a completely different culture who you’ve never met before (probably one of the most socially awkward situations) then you can work in an office with people from your hometown. Or does your social anxiety not apply out of the country? 

People are just not understanding me, yes my anxiety apply out of the country, I would have been able to enjoy myself a lot more if I didn't have this stupid anxiety problem, I hate this and I'm trying my best. It was not a socially awkward situation, I was comfortable around my wife, we chatted online for almost 2 years before we met in person. We mostly stayed in the motel, I know I could have enjoyed myself more if I didn't have this darn anxiety.

Just now, kris&me said:

from all he has said in the past and is saying  is this poster for real?

has $82,000 for assests and now doesn't

has money to travel to  Phillipines to marry

has a wife who will work and support him

has a sister to support her

gets SSI and now can find a job?

this one is unbelievable

and i am sorrry for anyone that truly is on SSI with this condition

and i  am sorry if i am scepticle here 

A cousin as a joint sponsor was mentioned in previous posts too. Plus opening an Internet cafe in the Philippines (not sure why he can work in a cafe there but can’t work in a cafe in the US?).

It would also appear that they have not seen each other since they got married all those years ago and they married on the first visit. So that brings us to his next hurdle in getting her visa approved. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.