MichaelD1980

I have no income & no assets, will that affect my wife's chance to get a U.S. visa even if she has a joint sponsor?

116 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

The answer to your question is no it will not. although you still should have FILED taxes even if you OWED nothing.

The bigger issue with myself, and many (I'm sure) is that you seem to be expecting your wife to support you (and coming on a CR1 she will be able to work immediately).

I have social anxiety. I still manage to work. I've supported myself and my children my entire life. I've simply managed to find a career where I dont have to deal with people in person. And even when i HAVE had jobs where i had to 'people' every day ... i sucked it up cause thats what ya got to do sometimes. I had one lousy husband refuse to work and that was enough for me. Trust me, even if she says she doesnt mind, over time, resentment will build, especially if your anxiety is selective and you can go and do the things you WANT to go and do. I dont WANT to work at all but I rather like being self sufficient and not relying on anyone to 'take care of me'. So... work it is.

It's not fair to your wife to put that burden on her (what kind of work experience/education does she have? How will that transfer over here?) or to the co sponsor. Why dont you find a job NOW instead of waiting? what are you waiting FOR?

Personally I think co sponsors should be allowed in only a few cases and not as a 'this is the only way we can ever do this cause i can never work or make enough money' type thing. but thats me. I would never co sponsor someone in that type of scenario.

ill step off my pedestal now. I think i need a snickers bar.

I called the USCIS, I told them my situation, they told me my SSI won't affect my wife getting a visa, I just won't be able to use list that income on the i-864, they said my income is inefficient and I will need a joint sponsor. I just want to get many more opentions.

6 minutes ago, MichaelD1980 said:

I called the USCIS, I told them my situation, they told me my SSI won't affect my wife getting a visa, I just won't be able to use list that income on the i-864, they said my income is inefficient and I will need a joint sponsor. I just want to get many more opentions.

Which means the CO will not approve your wife’s visa until you show sufficient evidence that you can provide for her.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

20 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

@MichaelD1980

To clarify a few things. This is not how it works. YOU are responsible for your wife. US will want to see how you will take care of your wife in the long run. Your sister is not responsible for her. She can help by being a joint sponsor, but she can’t be the primary sponsor.

The USCIS told me a joint sponsor is permissible in the Affidavit of Support for a spouse visa but not for a K-1 Fiance visa.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
32 minutes ago, MichaelD1980 said:

I'm renting a house from my friend and I receive SSI, I'm going to try to get a job where my sister works.

to get SSI we all know you had to go thru a lot to prove your disability will not allow you to work

Social security does not just give this out

and now, you say, you will look for work

your posts does not make sense

and to the others 

immigration wants to see IRS tax returns but (per IRS) if a person does not owe taxes,  he/she does not have to file

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, MichaelD1980 said:

The USCIS told me a joint sponsor is permissible in the Affidavit of Support for a spouse visa but not for a K-1 Fiance visa.

its allowable for both. some consulates, however, do not like it.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

11 minutes ago, MichaelD1980 said:

Yes, we know this.

But a joint sponsor is an option to supplement a sponsor if they don’t meet the financial requirements alone. The way you are approaching this is to have your sister take care of all of you... at least until your wife can get a job. And an immigrant in a new country may take some time before s/he is able to find a job. 

The CO will look at the totality of your case. S/he wants to be sure that your wife doesn’t come to the US and become a public charge.

if you have a recorded disability, their may be waiver options. I hope someone with knowledge of disability waivers are able to reply and give info if it is possible.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
Just now, JFH said:

What happened to the $82,000 you saved up? Has that all been spent now? That would have been enough in savings to be her sole sponsor. 

i so love people who are willing to dig....

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

7 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Which means the CO will not approve your wife’s visa until you show sufficient evidence that you can provide for her.

The USCIS told me they will look at everything before making a decision, they consider my wife's age, health, education and skills, they told me if I can't support my wife, we can submit a second affidavit of support from someone willing to support her till she is able to work. I'm getting a lot of different answers on this question, a lawyer told me they will focus on the joint sponsor since my income is not sufficient, I'm planning to get a job where my sister works, she is friends with the boss, I was told they would hire me, so I'll get that job just in case

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
4 minutes ago, MichaelD1980 said:

The USCIS told me they will look at everything before making a decision, they consider my wife's age, health, education and skills, they told me if I can't support my wife, we can submit a second affidavit of support from someone willing to support her till she is able to work. I'm getting a lot of different answers on this question, a lawyer told me they will focus on the joint sponsor since my income is not sufficient, I'm planning to get a job where my sister works, she is friends with the boss, I was told they would hire me, so I'll get that job just in case

the co sponsor does not support the person

they have to pay back to government if the person becomes a liability such as welfare

you have to be able to support her

and you say,  you are getting SSI for disablity,  then what, work under the table??

if you can work,  you don't need SSI

Timeline
7 minutes ago, MichaelD1980 said:

okay. so now you can work when you want to... but couldnt before?

really?

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Timeline
1 minute ago, MichaelD1980 said:

I'm gonna try, I have very bad social anxiety and panic attacks but I need to try

come on now. man up, get a job. plenty of jobs where you dont have to deal with the public or leave your house. heck, i have one of those and make pretty darn good money doing so (technically, i have THREE of those - but two are very part time- and when you combine my income from all 3 jobs i make darned good money! all without ever having to leave my safety net of a house, except for when i choose to)

lets grow up, suck it up, get a job, and stop living off taxpayers money and save it for those who TRULY CANT work.

im living proof you can have social anxiety, still have a job, still support a family, make good money, and never have to see a living soul unless you choose to.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.