Lakeside92

Need guidance on work visa for my parent's business

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline
4 hours ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

You would have to prove no one in the entire USA can do the job. They will likely ask why you haven't tried to get someone to relocate from another city in our state or even another state in general (which is way cheaper anyway).  That isn't a high level job and we have lots of unemployed people in the US.

Anyone who works in IT at least in my metro can attest that this is complete BS. Sure maybe it is easier for large companies to get around the rules than for a small business.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-nonimmigrant-workers

Temporary (Nonimmigrant) Worker Classification

Nonimmigrant Classification for a Temporary Worker

Description 

Nonimmigrant Classification for Dependent Spouses and Children of a Temporary Worker

CW-1 CNMI-Only transitional worker CW-2

E-1

Treaty traders and qualified employees.

E-13

E-2

Treaty investors and qualified employees.

E-23

E-2C

Long-term foreign investors in the CNMI

E-2C

E-3

Certain "specialty occupation" professionals from Australia.

E-33

H-1B

Workers in a specialty occupation and the following sub-classifications:

H-1B1 - Free Trade Agreement workers in a specialty occupation from Chile and Singapore.
H-1B2 - Specialty occupations related to Department of Defense Cooperative Research and Development projects or Co-production projects.
H-1B3 - Fashion models of distinguished merit and ability.

H-4

H-1C2

Registered nurses working in a health professional shortage area as determined by the U.S. Department of Labor.

H-4

H-2A

Temporary or seasonal agricultural workers.

H-4

H-2B 

Temporary non-agricultural workers.

H-4

H-3 

Trainees other than medical or academic. This classification also applies to practical training in the education of handicapped children.

H-4

I   

Representatives of foreign press, radio, film or other foreign information media.

I

L-1A 

Intracompany transferees in managerial or executive positions.

L-23

L-1B 

Intracompany transferees in positions utilizing specialized knowledge.

L-23

O-1

Persons with extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics and motion picture or TV production.

O-3

O-2

Persons accompanying solely to assist an O-1 nonimmigrant.

O-3

P-1A

Internationally recognized athletes.

P-4

P-1B

Internationally recognized entertainers or members of internationally recognized entertainment groups.

P-4

P-2

Individual performer or part of a group entering to perform under a reciprocal exchange program.

P-4

P-3 

Artists or entertainers, either an individual or group, to perform, teach, or coach under a program that is culturally unique.

P-4

Q-1

Persons participating in an international cultural exchange program for the purpose of providing practical training, employment, and to share the history, culture, and traditions of the alien's home country.

Not Applicable4

R-1

Religious workers.

R-2

TN

North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) temporary professionals from Mexico and Canada.

TD

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors

Au Pairs are here on J1 temporary exchange visas

Students: Academic and Vocational (F and M visas)

F-1

Academic students

F-2

Spouses and children of F-1

F-3

Canadian or Mexican national academic commuter students

M-1

Vocational students

M-2

Spouses and children of M1

M-3

Canadian or Mexican national vocational commuter students

Exchange Visitors (J visas)

J-1

Exchange visitors

J-2

Spouses and children of J-1

Housekeepers would be HIGHLY unlikely to be here under a work visa.  As stated before, they are either here as a LPR, USC or other status

Edited by mtempelaar

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Pay a living wage and offer good benefits and you'll have quality employees beating down your door.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Perhaps it's time for your parents to retire.  A town of 650?  Try to sell, if that doesn't work just close up shop.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Only one Town in my County has a bigger population.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Meanwhile I am sitting here eating cake that was served at a goodbye party for someone here on an H1B, up for renewal and was rejected.  She's been here for years as a highly skilled worker with specialized training and industry knowledge.  Her rejection came yesterday. she's leaving the country Monday.   Third rejection we've seen in the last month and every day is a struggle to retain the workers I already have.  Work visas take a special kind of patience from the employer and the beneficiary, not just to get it for someone in the first place but to keep it.    

4 hours ago, databit said:

Have you thought of hiring senior citizens? Many of them need the extra income, and they have the best work habits and are not going to do drugs. 

Actually I know some seniors with addiction issues.   It's a common belief that drugs are something that only the modern degenerate youth do, but that's not at all true across the board in my experience.

Age stereotyping is no more accurate than racial, gender or other forms of stereotyping.

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Only one Town in my County has a bigger population.

Yeah, but we ain't talking about your country.  We talking about the good 'ol USA!  With the economy booming and unemployment being at an all time low since 1969 prospective employees are looking for the greener grass.  Therefore little mom and pop shops are really having a difficult time finding responsible employees.  "Livable wage" is a popular term now.  Of course in Hawaii that is about $40 dollars per hour, but hey...we live in paradise.🤗

Filed: Other Timeline

Can the work be done by a high functioning mentally disabled individual with supervision?  If your parents need primarily assistance with physical labor, this could be an option.  Check with nearby agencies working with the disabled.

Also, look for the position to be filled by teams of part time workers.  Some people are unable to work 40 hours per week but could do 20.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

Meanwhile I am sitting here eating cake that was served at a goodbye party for someone here on an H1B, up for renewal and was rejected.  She's been here for years as a highly skilled worker with specialized training and industry knowledge.  Her rejection came yesterday. she's leaving the country Monday.   Third rejection we've seen in the last month and every day is a struggle to retain the workers I already have.  Work visas take a special kind of patience from the employer and the beneficiary, not just to get it for someone in the first place but to keep it.    

Hib is a TEMPORARY work visa, 6 years? If the Employer wanted her to stay why did they not file for a GC?

13 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Boiler said county, not country,

i don’t know why a Filipino (as OP wants to look for) would want to move halfway across the world to live in the sticks for an unliveable wage any more than an American would...?

I did, UK has a higher population density.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I apologize on behalf of millions of lazy Americans who are too non-Filipino to work at your pizzeria.  

9 hours ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

A lot of nannies are college-aged students who are on the au-pair visa for a year or two. There are also some visas that let college-aged students come and work for a summer or winter season and then they go home.

Yes, J1 is the only visa I can think of that could help. People on J1 don't have to be nannies they can certainly work at a restaurant but the problem is that this is only temporary. But maybe look into J1? 

5 hours ago, David & Zoila said:

Yeah, but we ain't talking about your country.  We talking about the good 'ol USA!  With the economy booming and unemployment being at an all time low since 1969 prospective employees are looking for the greener grass.  Therefore little mom and pop shops are really having a difficult time finding responsible employees.  "Livable wage" is a popular term now.  Of course in Hawaii that is about $40 dollars per hour, but hey...we live in paradise.🤗

He said county, not country.... 

Filed: Timeline
9 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-nonimmigrant-workers

Temporary (Nonimmigrant) Worker Classification

Nonimmigrant Classification for a Temporary Worker

Description 

Nonimmigrant Classification for Dependent Spouses and Children of a Temporary Worker

CW-1 CNMI-Only transitional worker CW-2

E-1

Treaty traders and qualified employees.

E-13

E-2

Treaty investors and qualified employees.

E-23

E-2C

Long-term foreign investors in the CNMI

E-2C

E-3

Certain "specialty occupation" professionals from Australia.

E-33

H-1B

Workers in a specialty occupation and the following sub-classifications:

H-1B1 - Free Trade Agreement workers in a specialty occupation from Chile and Singapore.
H-1B2 - Specialty occupations related to Department of Defense Cooperative Research and Development projects or Co-production projects.
H-1B3 - Fashion models of distinguished merit and ability.

H-4

H-1C2

Registered nurses working in a health professional shortage area as determined by the U.S. Department of Labor.

H-4

H-2A

Temporary or seasonal agricultural workers.

H-4

H-2B 

Temporary non-agricultural workers.

H-4

H-3 

Trainees other than medical or academic. This classification also applies to practical training in the education of handicapped children.

H-4

I   

Representatives of foreign press, radio, film or other foreign information media.

I

L-1A 

Intracompany transferees in managerial or executive positions.

L-23

L-1B 

Intracompany transferees in positions utilizing specialized knowledge.

L-23

O-1

Persons with extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics and motion picture or TV production.

O-3

O-2

Persons accompanying solely to assist an O-1 nonimmigrant.

O-3

P-1A

Internationally recognized athletes.

P-4

P-1B

Internationally recognized entertainers or members of internationally recognized entertainment groups.

P-4

P-2

Individual performer or part of a group entering to perform under a reciprocal exchange program.

P-4

P-3 

Artists or entertainers, either an individual or group, to perform, teach, or coach under a program that is culturally unique.

P-4

Q-1

Persons participating in an international cultural exchange program for the purpose of providing practical training, employment, and to share the history, culture, and traditions of the alien's home country.

Not Applicable4

R-1

Religious workers.

R-2

TN

North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) temporary professionals from Mexico and Canada.

TD

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors

Au Pairs are here on J1 temporary exchange visas

Students: Academic and Vocational (F and M visas)

F-1

Academic students

F-2

Spouses and children of F-1

F-3

Canadian or Mexican national academic commuter students

M-1

Vocational students

M-2

Spouses and children of M1

M-3

Canadian or Mexican national vocational commuter students

Exchange Visitors (J visas)

J-1

Exchange visitors

J-2

Spouses and children of J-1

Housekeepers would be HIGHLY unlikely to be here under a work visa.  As stated before, they are either here as a LPR, USC or other status

Housekeepers for hotels/motels with seasonal demands (e.g., ski lodges) are often on H2B visas.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.