kashif01

usa citizenship wait period these days

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi, i need to apply for citizenship so just wanted to know what are the processing times these days for the citizenship application. I have been married for 7 years with 2 kids and am living in USA for 6 years so plz advise if i should proceed and get a lawyer to do my case or i can do it myself without any problems too. At the time of GC they gave me a misrepresentation that I came on visit and stayed for 6 months while i applied but eventually after lots of struggle and lawyers i got my GC for 10 years. keeping this in mind plz, advise if i can go ahead and apply myself and in how much of time do i expect the citizenship done. 

thanks & Regards

1 hour ago, kashif01 said:

Hi, i need to apply for citizenship so just wanted to know what are the processing times these days for the citizenship application. I have been married for 7 years with 2 kids and am living in USA for 6 years so plz advise if i should proceed and get a lawyer to do my case or i can do it myself without any problems too. At the time of GC they gave me a misrepresentation that I came on visit and stayed for 6 months while i applied but eventually after lots of struggle and lawyers i got my GC for 10 years. keeping this in mind plz, advise if i can go ahead and apply myself and in how much of time do i expect the citizenship done. 

thanks & Regards

This is all depends on if you got your greencard through marriage to a USC or not and if your still married to that person. What does your green card say under the "Resident since XXXX". You would be able to file 3 years after that date. Actually it's 90 days before the 3 years are up. 

If your not still married then it is 5 years instead of 3. 

Assuming you're eligible for N400 the wait-time once you've applied depends on your Field Office

Some are getting Citizenship within three months, others six some are waiting two years

Your best bet is to check out the Monthly File Reports , find people who've filed  at your Field Office and keep a watch of them. Traversing the various monthly reports will give you some idea of your potential Wait Time

Unfortunately Houston seems to be one of the ones with very long wait-times

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks both for the insight. Yes, i am married to the same person for 7 years now and "dec 19, 2018" is the date i can send my application for naturalization, my previous lawyer confirmed it. I am in Austin, Texas so i believe San-Antonio Texas is going to be my USCIS field office. I had received the GC for 10 years as mentioned earlier on March 19, 2016. 

Plz, suggest going with a lawyer will make my case easy in anyway or reduce application processing time or applying myself is no big deal too.

Thanks

8 hours ago, kashif01 said:

Thanks both for the insight. Yes, i am married to the same person for 7 years now and "dec 19, 2018" is the date i can send my application for naturalization, my previous lawyer confirmed it. I am in Austin, Texas so i believe San-Antonio Texas is going to be my USCIS field office. I had received the GC for 10 years as mentioned earlier on March 19, 2016. 

Plz, suggest going with a lawyer will make my case easy in anyway or reduce application processing time or applying myself is no big deal too.

Thanks

If you’ve been in the US 6 years already why do you need to wait till December to file? Were you out the country for longer than 6 months at any stage?

I don’t know anyone who uses a lawyer for naturalization. Have a look at the n400 form, it’s very straightforward. All a lawyer will do is charge you for filling in the answers you give him. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

On 10/11/2018 at 4:58 PM, kashif01 said:

thanks & Regards

I would suggest to get a lawyer due to the complication of your GC application. A good lawyer will help you to provide the right documents and come with you during the interview to make sure that everything is correct. Make sure to apply online as It has better processing times. Good Luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.