EandH0904

Income test under Trump proposal places tougher hurdles for families to get green cards

65 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 minutes ago, K & R said:

That's easy for someone to say when they can afford it. I can afford having my husband here (pay all of my bills, we live on our own in a nice place, etc) but we still needed a joint sponsor because i am back in school full time and can only work part time at the moment I just barely don't make the threshold. When we applied for his visa we were aware of all that was involved and that is why we have used my dad as a cosponsor. As long as the money is coming from somewhere (and that somewhere not being the US government) I don't understand why you see a problem with it. This has caused absolutely no stress in our relationship because all three of us (husband, myself, and my father) are on board and supportive of each other. My husband and I spent months saving as much as we could before/during our visa application process. If people can find a way to afford it by getting some help for a bit from family or a fiend they shouldn't just not be with their loved one. A little harsh don't you think?

that is different ,  you can afford to support a family

I refer to those who (even marriages here) that marry and can not afford a family

but even those with degrees and good incomes struggle as there is debt like college loans to repay

this does cause stress and money Or lack of it and bills are one of the biggest divorce issues

if you don't have to depend on cosponsor, then great but many do

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

I myself fully agree here. One, people go into this whole ordeal and half of them have no clue what to expect, just assume file some paperwork and poof, magic happens.

Same with the financial part, everyone's situation is different, understood; but if you can barely support yourself how can you then support someone else?

I don't like the whole co-sponsor deal personally either, and I'm sure some people will rant about us not liking it either. 

Because you're right on costs, it isn't just about the filing fees, medical, interview, plane tickets, ect... what about when they get here? New furniture maybe? Down payment on a car? Just extra food and date nights? All of those add up very 

quickly and a lot of people don't even consider that before hand. I took a 5k loan out of my 401k knowing we would need extra on top of it all; but that's planning and realizing a head of time just the minimum won't cut it.

So no offense to anyone; but the whole co-sponsor thing doesn't work for me either.

when they start ranting,  it is one of the issues Trump is trying to stop

so,  rant at him and Congress

and as for costs here,  look at all the posts we have seen about health insurance after a K1 person comes

you have to know the costs

even stupid young kids getting married here,  can't make it

Edited by adil-rafa

14 minutes ago, K & R said:

That's easy for someone to say when they can afford it. I can afford having my husband here (pay all of my bills, we live on our own in a nice place, etc) but we still needed a joint sponsor because i am back in school full time and can only work part time at the moment I just barely don't make the threshold. When we applied for his visa we were aware of all that was involved and that is why we have used my dad as a cosponsor. As long as the money is coming from somewhere (and that somewhere not being the US government) I don't understand why you see a problem with it. This has caused absolutely no stress in our relationship because all three of us (husband, myself, and my father) are on board and supportive of each other. My husband and I spent months saving as much as we could before/during our visa application process. If people can find a way to afford it by getting some help for a bit from family or a friend they shouldn't just not be with their loved one. A little harsh don't you think?

I think there are a few different types of cases with a joint sponsor. If you're in school and living with them and they agree to pay the bills, that's one thing.

Many times we see a joint sponsor who does not live with the couple nor plan to actually pay for their regular expenses...they're just signing for the visa/green card. They do have obligations under the I-864, but those are very rarely enforced, and the 125% of the FPL maintenance may not be one that the couple even wants to enforce since the joint sponsor was doing them a favor by agreeing to it ("don't look a gift horse in the mouth").

So I can see valid use cases for a joint sponsor. But I also see many times where the use of a joint sponsor is very different than your experience.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Just now, Ben&Zian said:

Oh I know, countless posts about finance issues and medical coverage questions.

People think, like one poster said, it's "heart less" to keep people apart... but it's more about people being prepared and not running into marriages before they are ready, and finances are part of being "ready".

Also, who has people who just wanna throw down their name to be responsible for two adults that don't make enough money to responsibly get married?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Jaquelly said:

Also, who has people who just wanna throw down their name to be responsible for two adults that don't make enough money to responsibly get married?

Well I know close family naturally will; but it's always funny seeing people (usually the beneficiary) posting on here flat out asking for a stranger to be their co-sponsor for K-1 or CR-1 visas. 

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

1 minute ago, Ben&Zian said:

Well I know close family naturally will; but it's always funny seeing people (usually the beneficiary) posting on here flat out asking for a stranger to be their co-sponsor for K-1 or CR-1 visas. 

My family wouldn't. LOL

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Jaquelly said:

My family wouldn't. LOL

My family Couldn't on my end haha. 

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

I think there are a few different types of cases with a joint sponsor. If you're in school and living with them and they agree to pay the bills, that's one thing.

Many times we see a joint sponsor who does not live with the couple nor plan to actually pay for their regular expenses...they're just signing for the visa/green card. They do have obligations under the I-864, but those are very rarely enforced, and the 125% of the FPL maintenance may not be one that the couple even wants to enforce since the joint sponsor was doing them a favor by agreeing to it ("don't look a gift horse in the mouth").

So I can see valid use cases for a joint sponsor. But I also see many times where the use of a joint sponsor is very different than your experience.

Yeah i can see where you are coming from. Maybe enforcing it more is the solution rather than getting rid of joint sponsors all together? I guess the important thing to remember is every situation is different and for one bad egg i'm sure there are tons of people using the joint sponsorship situation the right way (like my family and I). 

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

Timeline
8 minutes ago, K & R said:

Yeah i can see where you are coming from. Maybe enforcing it more is the solution rather than getting rid of joint sponsors all together? I guess the important thing to remember is every situation is different and for one bad egg i'm sure there are tons of people using the joint sponsorship situation the right way (like my family and I). 

it would be great if it was endorced but ICE does not even enforce when a USC can prove the foreigner commited fraud (some find out after the person comes that they were working on several people from different countries trying to get to one/ that is fraud on the government and USC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
15 hours ago, janet3 said:

It is absolutely not a misnomer....

The article clearly states that the current administration would like to move the “guideline” above the 125%. Making the bar 250% would mean only the upper middle class or rich could assist their family (or loved ones....aka....fiance) could come here. 

FYI: Actually $40,000 is the cut off of middle class and lower class incomes.

"Income data released by the U.S. Census Bureau show that 2017 median household income was the highest on record at $61,372. Pew defines the middle class as those earning between two-thirds and double the median household income.This means that the category of middle-income is made up of people making somewhere between $40,500 and $122,000. Those making less than $39,500 make up the lower-income bracket. Those making more than $118,000 make up the upper-income bracket. Easy, right? Just take your household income and see where you fit given these numbers."

Read more: Which Income Class Are You? https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0912/which-income-class-are-you.aspx#ixzz5TdttIp53 
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
19 minutes ago, AshMarty said:

"Income data released by the U.S. Census Bureau show that 2017 median household income was the highest on record at $61,372. Pew defines the middle class as those earning between two-thirds and double the median household income.This means that the category of middle-income is made up of people making somewhere between $40,500 and $122,000. Those making less than $39,500 make up the lower-income bracket. Those making more than $118,000 make up the upper-income bracket. Easy, right? Just take your household income and see where you fit given these numbers."

Read more: Which Income Class Are You? https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0912/which-income-class-are-you.aspx#ixzz5TdttIp53 

Before I write anything, let me assure you that Trumps gets and will always get what Trump has wanted, from Presidency to 460 Billion Dollars from the Saudis. He might not always get 100 % of he is after, but he gets a nice chunk. That said, this income guidelines, government benefits and sponsorships must be revised. My mother and now my siblings have never ever gotten a penny from the government nor from anyone. This is the land where work is available. One can have two and three jobs. And for someone to get on Government assistance of any sort, while working under the table and sucking us all dry, they ought to go to jail, let alone deported. I have seen recent Immigrants park their BMW s and Merceidez and use Foodstamps  at the grocery store while in brand-name clothes; DISGUSTING. To make matters even worse, I d hear them complaining about our government. Yes, I heard them; I am fluent in 6 languages. I have confronted some in the past, but have kept my mouth shut recently as I have grown up to realize nothing ever changes. As for Sponsorship, I am sorry to say this, but if you are jobless with 4 kids and live with your Mom, you have no business bringing anyone to Marry. Marry here and get a job. I am sorry to have sounded harsh, but I become furious when I see people with 2 and 3 co-sponsors fly thru the system as I wait forever. I have worked and paid taxes for the last 30 some years. I make enough to support three families, but yet, my wife and I must wait and wait and even wait more just because we happened to be from the wrong part of the world. I hope I did not offend anyone, but I felt I had to share as this is something that has bothered me forever.

Edited by Derik-Lina

Honest-Love-Respect

20 minutes ago, AshMarty said:

Huh that is crazy. I mean, just now my area's census tracts are broken down. We live in a pretty nice neighborhood, that is broken up into what looks like 4 or 5 census tracts. The one we're in is long and skinny, it follows the main street with all the shops/bars/restaurants and the more residential streets that run parallel (so like one block of main street, the street to the north and the two streets to the south, including the side streets that connect them). Then there's one block that is a little island all to itself. Anyway, the median income for that island tract is $100k more than the one for mine, and mine is not-too-shabby even for the overall area (DC metro area). What in the heck is this about?!

Any idea how they set these things and...why?

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.