Ayesha Kakar

Immigration wait destroys marriages?

56 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Will look at the PubMed stuff, but the general reality is that children can make a strong marriage stronger, and they can stress weaker marriages -- if for no other reason than you don't sleep for the first 3 years.

Bingo.

There has been no story more heartbreaking before or since.  Not even those of us who got hosed by the consulates can rank with how USCIS hosed her.

Sara wrote to me some time ago from her older "estadia" account, but she apparently hasn't logged on to VJ recently.

What was the deal with Sara?

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, PersaisX said:

What was the deal with Sara?

im not sure i know that story, either

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

First, Sara was one of the nicest people ever to come to VJ.

I believe her journey went into it's fourth year without an end in sight.  I can almost guarantee that the stress and no hope for ever being together was the cause of their relationship ending.  

You can read one of her updates here:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/213470-some-of-you-have-asked-for-update-on-us/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems she moved on, do we know why she did not move?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I don't recall a distinct answer, but Sara probably never moved because her life was here, and she was a fairly observant Muslim who was facing her first marriage.

The poor sweet girl was consistently and invariably gracious, without any self-pity, in congratulating others whose petitions were submitted and approved while she waited and waited and waited.  It was only around the third or fourth year when she began to "crack," and this was many times longer than anyone else would have lasted.  USCIS finally found her petition (incredibly mislaid), but by then her fiancé had decided to move on.

Amidst her own pain, she was very sympathetic to our woes at the ####### Guayaquil consulate.  A truly beautiful person.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
31 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

I don't recall a distinct answer, but Sara probably never moved because her life was here, and she was a fairly observant Muslim who was facing her first marriage.

The poor sweet girl was consistently and invariably gracious, without any self-pity, in congratulating others whose petitions were submitted and approved while she waited and waited and waited.  It was only around the third or fourth year when she began to "crack," and this was many times longer than anyone else would have lasted.  USCIS finally found her petition (incredibly mislaid), but by then her fiancé had decided to move on.

Amidst her own pain, she was very sympathetic to our woes at the ####### Guayaquil consulate.  A truly beautiful person.

thats so sad. At least Paul and I know we have several other options for any worst case scenario.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would assume in most inter Country, even inter State marriages that both parties have a life where they are, one or both have to leave it and of course a variety of factors come into play when deciding who moves.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

My husband and I have known each other almost 8 years. We tried to get married in Serbia twice (he moved there so we would be closer distance-wise and he still could do his businesses). The first time they said we had to post a letter of our intent to get married for more weeks than I was going to be there. The second time, the "judge" refused to marry us when she saw that I was an American. She thought he was going to marry a Serbian woman until he whipped out my USA passport. Then she would not marry us. They don't like Americans because of US and NATO/war. My husband's visa was not renewed because we wouldn't/couldn't put $15000 in our bank account, so he had to move back to Pakistan. This was 3 years ago. We will have been married 3 years next week, and we are not sure he will ever get a visa after his writing a coerced false confession that was dictated to him. So we tried to get married for 3 years before we actually could do it (in Pakistan). Plus we are both older (me-60's, him-50's) so I feel time is physically running out for us. BUT we really love each other and refuse to give up. Now he works in Dubai and is not allowed to be on his phone while working his 12 hour days 6 days a week. And they restrict videoing, so we haven't yet been able to video-chat. So our contact consists of a few sentences a day now. The entire situation is just sad. Heck yeah, it's stressful. But we're in this til the end, no matter what. We just have to live one day at a time with no expectations. You can't make this stuff up!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
21 hours ago, Love To Teach said:

My husband and I have known each other almost 8 years. We tried to get married in Serbia twice (he moved there so we would be closer distance-wise and he still could do his businesses). The first time they said we had to post a letter of our intent to get married for more weeks than I was going to be there. The second time, the "judge" refused to marry us when she saw that I was an American. She thought he was going to marry a Serbian woman until he whipped out my USA passport. Then she would not marry us. They don't like Americans because of US and NATO/war. My husband's visa was not renewed because we wouldn't/couldn't put $15000 in our bank account, so he had to move back to Pakistan. This was 3 years ago. We will have been married 3 years next week, and we are not sure he will ever get a visa after his writing a coerced false confession that was dictated to him. So we tried to get married for 3 years before we actually could do it (in Pakistan). Plus we are both older (me-60's, him-50's) so I feel time is physically running out for us. BUT we really love each other and refuse to give up. Now he works in Dubai and is not allowed to be on his phone while working his 12 hour days 6 days a week. And they restrict videoing, so we haven't yet been able to video-chat. So our contact consists of a few sentences a day now. The entire situation is just sad. Heck yeah, it's stressful. But we're in this til the end, no matter what. We just have to live one day at a time with no expectations. You can't make this stuff up!!

I applaud you 4 your dedication to each other,I wish your happiness in this journey! When you’re in this process , it’s as though , those in authority has to accept and approve of a couples real love! If only there were technology that could look at the TRUE HEARTED PEOPLE!! Not by paperwork,,but the  ones who really have love and unification & lifelong goals and plans!! Blessings to you! 

2 hours ago, Queeniam1963 said:

I applaud you 4 your dedication to each other,I wish your happiness in this journey! When you’re in this process , it’s as though , those in authority has to accept and approve of a couples real love! If only there were technology that could look at the TRUE HEARTED PEOPLE!! Not by paperwork,,but the  ones who really have love and unification & lifelong goals and plans!! Blessings to you! 

That's so true. You would think that after all this time together, they should know we are a real couple. My only regret is that I didn't think to warn my husband to be prepared to be attacked by the CO's. He was not expecting to be treated like a terrorist being interrogated and harassed by the police and accused of being a lying fraud and a lousy Muslim. He still gets sick to his stomach when we talk about that "interview." They think they can scare people away from being together. The CO's try to put doubt into the couple's minds. I have heard about that over and over. They should have to follow their own rules of conduct. We are not going to back down on this. Thanks for the support!

Edited by Love To Teach

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Love To Teach said:

That's so true. You would think that after all this time together, they should know we are a real couple. My only regret is that I didn't think to warn my husband to be prepared to be attacked by the CO's. He was not expecting to be treated like a terrorist being interrogated and harassed by the police and accused of being a lying fraud and a lousy Muslim. He still gets sick to his stomach when we talk about that "interview." They think they can scare people away from being together. The CO's try to put doubt into the couple's minds. I have heard about that over and over. They should have to follow their own rules of conduct. We are not going to back down on this. Thanks for the support!

Welcome,,,,keep faith in each other.. it's hard enough the time away,time processing everything'   but hold on because victory is ours especially when love is immeasurable in our relationships-- true love won't fold or be broken!! Blessings to you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.