Ayesha Kakar

Immigration wait destroys marriages?

56 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Ayesha Kakar said:

The main reason for posting this question was merely curiosity. Many things factor into relationships not making it. And it isn't a matter of not loving each other either. The stresses of this process, regardless of knowing what you sign up for in the beginning, can become more than one or both ever expected. Yes, you should know what you signed up for when you start this whole relationship, marriage, immigration process. And majority do, and believe they can make it through these stresses....but no one knows the extent until you go through it. 

This was not a post in relation to my own marriage or our own stresses with this wait to be together.  It was just as I said, merely curiosity.....thank you everyone for their opinions. 

Yes I do agree, it’s very very stressful emotionally and mentally on a “”not so good days! “” I believe that if the marriage continues to remain loyal ,, keep trust and husband and wife keep  each other’  strong ,, if you’re separated by distance ,, sing to each other,, play your fav song and listen together!! I didn’t know much about the process , but I’m committed and people need to realize : REAL LOVE TAKES STRUGGLE & tears sometimes!! Faith and trust speaks volumes! If you treasure your loved one , stand by them ,, until the end!! Yes it’s tremendously hard day by day! Grow together , listen, live, love 💕 and learn!

what God has for you ,, NO MAN CAN TAKE AWAY! Blessings & peace to everyone on their Journey- no matter where you are!! VICTORY TO EVERYONE WITH A PURE ❤️ HEART OF REAL ❤️ ❤️LOVE❤️

Edited by Queeniam1963

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Post violating the TOS (language filter evasion) removed.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, NuestraUnion said:

A direct contrast to OP's questions is, how many marriages/ relationships end soon after the immigrant arrives.

Here is a hint, take a browse through Effects of Major Family Changes section or search "Divorce or Separated before AOS or ROC". You'd be amazed on how many couples don't even make anniversary.

and this doesn't include all of them as many are not members on VJ

I would argue that there is probably a higher level of divorce. Between those who have short relationships before getting married/never lived together, long waits where people/priorities change, the stress of being apart, the moving abroad/outside of your support network/stress restarting a career while at a disadvantage, the cards are more stacked against us. But I think real relationships last. Maybe it weeds out real relationships faster because of the additional stress? Higher divorce rate short term that evens out to the average?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Ayesha Kakar said:

The main reason for posting this question was merely curiosity. Many things factor into relationships not making it. And it isn't a matter of not loving each other either. The stresses of this process, regardless of knowing what you sign up for in the beginning, can become more than one or both ever expected. Yes, you should know what you signed up for when you start this whole relationship, marriage, immigration process. And majority do, and believe they can make it through these stresses....but no one knows the extent until you go through it. 

This was not a post in relation to my own marriage or our own stresses with this wait to be together.  It was just as I said, merely curiosity.....thank you everyone for their opinions. 

there really is not even good stats on US couples divorcing / maybe because some marry and divorce multiple times

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
8 hours ago, Roel said:

How many married couples have ended up separating, divorcing before, or divorcing after * having countless issues where immigration times are the smallest portion of it*  all because of *not loving and carrying for each other enough and not being mature enough to survive few months apart*  and the depression and anxiety created from being in a *miserable relationship that if it didn't survive immigration process, would probably fall apart anyway* ?

There, I fixed you post.

I forward to reading your responses. Straightforward no chasers

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

If anything the struggles have brought us closer. After this, we know we can tackle anything. 

05-04-2018: Married :jest:

AOS/EAD:

05-07-2018: Packet mailed via USPS

05-10-2018: Official NOA1 date

05-17-2018: NOA1 email/text

05-22-2018: NOA1 letter received

06-01-2018: RFE issued

06-13-2018: RFE received in the mail

06-25-2018: Response to RFE sent

06-27-2018: Response to RFE arrived at USCIS

07-07-2018: Change in online status: RFE response received 

07-10-2018: Biometrics (went before appointment & to a different office)

07-12-2018: AOS case status updated to "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview”

09-29-2018: EAD case status updated to "New card is being produced"

09-30-2018: EAD case status updated to "Case was approved"

10-01-2018: EAD case status updated to "Card was mailed to me"

10-05-2018: EAD card received in the mail

10-12-2018: SSN card received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I think that if a couple was having issues prior to this process, then this process would just add stress to all the other problems, and then when all the problems are piled up then the divorce/separation happens. I don't think the waiting and anxiety is the only problem that would cause a couple to end the relationship. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

In my opinion those marriages that broke up “due” to the immigration process wouldn’t have lasted anyway. If you can’t get through this how can you get life’s up and downs?

i think going through this actually makes the relationship stronger!

I totally agree with this statement. This statement bit straight forward but true.

4 hours ago, kris&me said:

if you love, you love

If you dont love, you are just in a hurry to get that green card

This assumes that all divorces in such marriages are instigated by the alien spouse....I doubt that.

It's not just that divorces are hard to track; there are also a lot of stressful things about immigration aside from the wait times and uncertainty.  Moving to another country and acclimating is stressful.  (Of course it is more stressful for some individuals than others.)  Cross-cultural relationships do tend to have their own special set of challenges as well.  For some the real stress starts when the immigrant arrives, not during the wait.  Or it could  feel liketrading one stress for another. 

I do agree that it's simplistic to say that if a marriage doesn't survive, it's because the partners didn't love each other enough.  Almost as simplistic as blaming it on immigration processes.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I would say the truer test isn’t waiting for a visa.  It’s the K1 visa and arriving to a new country unable to work or study is worse after a few weeks.  The months of boredom for the person arriving and financial stress seem to have brought more VJ’ers who are trying to cope than the one spent time apart.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

If you separate/get a divorce solely because of the immigration wait you have to face then I don’t think you’re gonna make it through your marriage 

MY JOURNEY INTO GETTING A FIRST-TIME GREEN CARD, RENEWING A GREEN CARD, AND OBTAINING U.S. CITIZENSHIP:

I-130: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/08/23/my-spouse-visa-process-and-timeline-ir1-cr1/ From Colombia 🇨🇴

I-751: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/09/12/i-751-joint-petition-to-remove-conditions-on-residence/From Japan 🇯🇵 (Military spouse overseas)

N-400: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2022/08/03/3430/ From Japan 🇯🇵 

BLOG:  https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/inmigr/   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.