Gappy

Renewal of EAD Card & Green Card Interview

4 posts in this topic

I am married and my wife and I filed for AOS (i-145 form)and sent on 12/18/2017. We were asked to provide RFE which USCIS received in 4/6/2018 and we have been approved for an interview the following week but have not been give a date for the interview. My first question is since they received the RFE in April will how long until we will be given an interview date? Also, have a clock been reset because of the RFE?

My second question is that I have been given an EAD card valid for a year since I have not been given an interview date for AOS and let say when my EAD CARD is 120 before the expiration date will I have to renew my EAD CARD? If so what is the procedure and what document will I need for it? In addition, will I have to pay $410 again to get it renewed since I was just given a year validity instead of two years?  Lastly, why does USCIS give some people a year validity and other two years for the EAD Card?

Thank you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
2 hours ago, Gappy said:

how long until we will be given an interview date?

What does the status say? "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"?

2 hours ago, Gappy said:

My second question is that I have been given an EAD card valid for a year since I have not been given an interview date for AOS and let say when my EAD CARD is 120 before the expiration date will I have to renew my EAD CARD? If so what is the procedure and what document will I need for it? In addition, will I have to pay $410 again to get it renewed since I was just given a year validity instead of two years?

Your EAD (and any future cards) should have been free because it was based on pending AOS. You can file for an EAD renewal up to 180 days before it expires. You can include a cover letter with the following statement: "I filed the I-485 after July 29, 2007, and paid a one-time filing fee. Therefore, as an Adjustment of Status applicant, I am not required to pay additional USCIS fees for this I-765 request." You can also include a copy of your I-485 NOA1. The I-131 for an AP document is also free when filed due to pending AOS. I would recommend filing for the I-131 in case there is unexpected emergency travel in the future (e.g. unforeseen family medical emergency back in your country, etc.). If you decide to file the I-131, I recommend sending it together with the I-765.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
On 10/8/2018 at 1:11 AM, Gappy said:

My first question is since they received the RFE in April will how long until we will be given an interview date?

It all is based on the Field Office and how far out they are scheduling. Check USCIS to see the processing time at your Field Office.

On 10/8/2018 at 1:11 AM, Gappy said:

Also, have a clock been reset because of the RFE?

There is controversy on the whole RFE clock reset to where you left off, and RFIE clock restart back to 0. I got a RFIE and it didn't restart my clock.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.