LEISEROM

Friends girlfriend denied entry

83 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TM92 said:

Yup, that probably made them suspicious, initially. It would have been 100% legal for them to marry in the US and then do CR-1. But, she was willing to enter with a B-2 with illegal preconceived intent to AOS; CBP rightfully wised up.

Having two big bags?  My fiancé came to visit 7 or 8 times on his B-2, bringing at least two big bags each time.  In fact, in August he brought over one whole suitcase of his beloved Calvin and Hobbes books.  No questions.  No secondary.   

5 hours ago, FluffyBalls said:

I'm SUPER glad they caught and deported some Chinese girl trying to shorten the long wait to be with her loved one. It makes me feel so safe. In fact, it's best they focus their efforts on these types of cases, rather than the people illegally entering the southern border with no vetting or inspection or background check whatsoever.  

The vast majority of people currently in the US illegally, are "illegal" for being out of status after entering legally.   Not from sneaking over the southern border......

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline

I said "probably," not "definitely." Correlation does not imply causation. Can someone now tell CBP "Why do you suspect my various bags. @Jorgedig's fiance was not questioned. See, here's the thread!":jest:

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

1 minute ago, TM92 said:

I said "probably," not "definitely." Correlation does not imply causation. Can someone now tell CBP "Why do you suspect my various bags. @Jorgedig's fiance was not questioned. See, here's the thread!":jest:

Yeah, that's not what I was implying......     Just like at the embassy stage, it is more about the totality of the circumstances.  You quoted the "two big bags," as if it was the key element in the OP's situation.  There is no way of knowing if it was, and it is very likely that there were other cues that the CBP officers are trained to identify amongst people in line.

7 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

There are already "unfair" differences between countries and we all know it (some consulates take forever to schedule interviews, in some countries AP takes forever, some consulates are much tougher to go through, etc.) . So let's not pretend that the people here care about fairness. 

What I'm saying is, there's no good reason not to allow people to enter with the intent to legally AOS. None, zilch. It's just a made up rule because you know, there are so many types of visas, they all need to be used or something. Just make the process simpler, not the current nonsense of having to go through both USCIS and consulates, and either make it so that embassies directly issue immigrant visas without the need to go through USCIS first, or let people enter and adjust on other visas freely. The current system is incredibly inefficient and slow and has a big effect on people's lives. 

What about background checks? Making sure people are who they say they are? Flagging people with (extreme) criminal records? Making sure they have the necessary financial resources in place? 

Based on your argument, literally anyone could come to the US and adjust status. And that's if they actually do adjust status, and not just disappear once they are here. Something tells me that might not work. Just a hunch.

21 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

The vast majority of people currently in the US illegally, are "illegal" for being out of status after entering legally.   Not from sneaking over the southern border......

Not even close to the "vast majority" - most reliable sources peg that figure at around 50% with a huge margin of error. 

Someone overstaying a B2 or F1 or (insert visa here) visa would have (1) been vetted and interviewed by the US embassy abroad (2) gone through airport and airline security and had their bags scanned in their home country (3) gone through the CBP inspection process and (4) gone through TSA inspection if they had a connecting flight. They are fingerprinted, photographed, and there is a record of their arrival.

Someone sneaking over the southern border goes through which part of the steps above? Obviously people need to leave when their visas expire, but you cannot compare the two groups to one another. We go through so much effort to catch that Chinese girl that may AOS (who went through all the steps above and would be vetted by USCIS down the road) but allow hundreds of thousands to cross the southern border without any vetting or inspection and no record of their presence here. It doesn't make any sense. 

Edited by FluffyBalls

9 minutes ago, FluffyBalls said:

Not even close to the "vast majority" - most reliable sources peg that figure at around 50% with a huge margin of error. 

Someone overstaying a B2 or F1 or (insert visa here) visa would have (1) been vetted and interviewed by the US embassy abroad (2) gone through airport and airline security and had their bags scanned in their home country (3) gone through the CBP inspection process and (4) gone through TSA inspection if they had a connecting flight. They are fingerprinted, photographed, and there is a record of their arrival.

Someone sneaking over the southern border goes through which part of the steps above? Obviously people need to leave when their visas expire, but you cannot compare the two groups to one another. We go through so much effort to catch that Chinese girl that may AOS (who went through all the steps above and would be vetted by USCIS down the road) but allow hundreds of thousands to cross the southern border without any vetting or inspection and no record of their presence here. It doesn't make any sense. 

Sources?  I have always heard (on VJ and other reputable sites), that most "illegals" are overstays.   If you have evidence to the contrary (specifically people sneaking across the US/Mexico border), I would love to see it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nobody knows the real numbers but it is assumed it is about half and half based on the estimated total, however seems likely the official numbers are low so the balance are mostly undocumented sic.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

You quoted the "two big bags," as if it was the key element in the OP's situation.

I used an ellipsis when I quoted OP's post in order to not alter the original meaning of the whole post.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Nobody knows the real numbers but it is assumed it is about half and half based on the estimated total, however seems likely the official numbers are low so the balance are mostly undocumented sic.

I agree with Boiler. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~locked for review~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** several posts removed and administrative action taken.  No more bickering,  POst with constructive advice for the Op or do not post. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
22 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

Who carries a birth certificate.. and a certified english translation.. as a tourist? 

People who are trying to cheat the system and immigrate on a tourist visa. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
20 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

Not when someone is placed in AP for months or years, I've never seen any of the regulars here call this unfair or want to end it because people from some countries wait longer than them

All of that is still doing it legally however long it takes. Yes it sucks but that’s the way it is for a reason. Can’t say that about coming here with a tourist visa with intent to aos

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.