LEISEROM

Friends girlfriend denied entry

83 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, PRC Rabbit said:

People do and should care about "fairness" in the immigration process.

The alternative is a world for animals, dog eat dog.

Not when someone is placed in AP for months or years, I've never seen any of the regulars here call this unfair or want to end it because people from some countries wait longer than them

8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

People certainly wouldn't abuse tourist visas to come to the US and meet somebody just to stay in the US. Never. Impossible. No victims involved...

The law in other countries that do permit it is not just irrelevant to US immigration, but many times does not tell the full picture. Many times the IOs must determine that the visitor intends to return home if their permanent residence is denied. They also are usually much more strict about enforcement of existing laws, such as speedy removals for permanent residence applicants who are denied and others who overstay a visa. The US has neither of those...and imagine the outcry if the US tried to remove spouses and children and such quickly after denial, or removing so many people who overstayed their visas + those who EWI.

Hasn't the US been deporting heavily for quite some time though? I've heard people referring to Obama as the "deporter in chief". 

18 minutes ago, geowrian said:

People certainly wouldn't abuse tourist visas to come to the US and meet somebody just to stay in the US. Never. Impossible. No victims involved...

The law in other countries that do permit it is not just irrelevant to US immigration, but many times does not tell the full picture. Many times the IOs must determine that the visitor intends to return home if their permanent residence is denied. They also are usually much more strict about enforcement of existing laws, such as speedy removals for permanent residence applicants who are denied and others who overstay a visa. The US has neither of those...and imagine the outcry if the US tried to remove spouses and children and such quickly after denial, or removing so many people who overstayed their visas + those who EWI.

I can tell you from personal experience that the requirements for getting tourist visas to the UK and to schengen countries is way more onerous than the US. Perhaps Orangesapples thinks the US should be much harder too - or maybe he/she doesn’t care about that because it’s his/her opinion about which rules one should follow and which one should be allowed to break 🙄Well, it’s my opinion that  one of the dumbest rules is the one that forgives overstay for IRs because it encourages other rules to be broken.

3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I can tell you from personal experience that the requirements for getting tourist visas to the UK and to schengen countries is way more onerous than the US. Perhaps Orangesapples thinks the US should be much harder too - or maybe he/she doesn’t care about that because it’s his/her opinion about which rules one should follow and which one should be allowed to break 🙄Well, it’s my opinion that  one of the dumbest rules is the one that forgives overstay for IRs because it encourages other rules to be broken.

I think the government should focus on the big picture of enforcing immigration laws - that is, employers who employ people illegally. If it's impossible for illegal immigrants to find work under the table, then they won't really have an incentive to stay. Harassing people trying to get married on a tourist visa is ridiculous. People shouldn't have to wait for months and years to be with their family. 

And I agree with stricter requirements for tourist visas, as long as they're objective and based on documents and not on a random officer's mood. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Not to sound blunt, but... stupidity should be painful. She's now facing charges to what they did. I am happy she got caught for being "smarter" than others. Rules are rules. She tried to AOS from tourist visa. I hope she will never ever get a tourist visa to US again. Wanted to immigrate? K1 and 14 months, like others. She's not better than anyone here waiting for years.

Edited by Springrain22

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

I think the government should focus on the big picture of enforcing immigration laws - that is, employers who employ people illegally. If it's impossible for illegal immigrants to find work under the table, then they won't really have an incentive to stay. Harassing people trying to get married on a tourist visa is ridiculous. People shouldn't have to wait for months and years to be with their family. 

And I agree with stricter requirements for tourist visas, as long as they're objective and based on documents and not on a random officer's mood. 

They don't actually. The US half of the couple/family can always move to the other country and live together there while the paperwork processes.

29 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

And I agree with stricter requirements for tourist visas, as long as they're objective and based on documents and not on a random officer's mood

It's insane how much variability there is from officer to officer. My (Chinese) wife has Chinese friends who came to the US for a simple business trip get grilled in secondary, all their bags opened up, phone searched etc. 

Yet when my wife came for a short visit with 2 overloaded suitcases, little verifiable funds, etc. (against my warnings fwiw) she was cleared in less than a minute by a friendly officer, even after mentioning she was here to visit her boyfriend.

Edited by FluffyBalls

Filed: Other Timeline
3 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

And you yourself have said that you would have done that, too. 

Some rules are stupid and I don't care if people break them

If you do not want to play by the US rules while in or attempting to come to the US, you really should think about going somewhere else where the rules are more to your liking.  In the US, you and other all get to play fairly - i.e. with everyone following the same rules and laws.  There are far too many people who will comply waiting in line or for some legal way to come or stay.

Filed: Other Timeline
34 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Some people NEVER get to come yet other new immigrants get to sponsor dozens.  What is fair about that?  Maybe we should limit sponsorship and allow every CITIZEN to sponsor any ONE person of their choice whether they be family or not.

3 hours ago, Ben&Zian said:

Well good to see immigrations and customs are doing their jobs.

I'm SUPER glad they caught and deported some Chinese girl trying to shorten the long wait to be with her loved one. It makes me feel so safe. In fact, it's best they focus their efforts on these types of cases, rather than the people illegally entering the southern border with no vetting or inspection or background check whatsoever.  

5 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

If you do not want to play by the US rules while in or attempting to come to the US, you really should think about going somewhere else where the rules are more to your liking.  In the US, you and other all get to play fairly - i.e. with everyone following the same rules and laws.  There are far too many people who will comply waiting in line or for some legal way to come or stay.

I do play by the rules because I don't want to get in trouble and I don't like taking risks. But I don't care if others break them. I am capable of following the rules and realizing that they make no sense. 

1 minute ago, FluffyBalls said:

I'm SUPER glad they caught and deported some Chinese girl trying to shorten the long wait to be with her loved one. It makes me feel so safe. In fact, it's best they focus their efforts on these types of cases, rather than the people illegally entering the southern border with no vetting or inspection or background check whatsoever.  

True, random Chinese girls wanting to get married in the US are the real danger, haven't you heard? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yup and this 'argument' just went into a ridiculous state. No immigrations at the airports but just at the borders? haha. Oh boy. 

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.