Reuven

Joint Sponsor Income & Poverty Line

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

I'm trying to figure out how much my joint sponsor has to show for us to get over the 125% threshhold. We're a family of four and I can only show at the moment that I make $21,000, well below the $31,375 required to reach 125% of the FPG. How much does my joint sponsor have to earn to get us over the line? How is it calculated? We have a joint sponsor, single, family of one who netted $16,000 after all their business deductions. $16,000 is what appears on his tax returns. Is that enough? Would or could they put 21,000 & 16,000 together and add the joint sponsor making us a "family of 5" earning $37,000 just over the 125% FPG?

You don't combine what you make and what the joint sponsor makes.  If you don't make the poverty guidelines requirement than you need a  joint sponsor that meets the requirements regardless of what you make.

edit:  for a single joint sponsor 125% would be at least $20,575

Edited by Jo Së
spelling

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
Spoiler

hi

exactly, the joint sponsor can't combine income with yours, he or she has to earn income enough over the 125% to cover him or herself, plus family If they have one plus the beneficiary. the same as you do

for the single person not enough to cover 2 people, himself and the beneficiary

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Find a joint sponsor who IS qualified.  The only way you can combine income is with a qualifying household member.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
5 hours ago, Jo Së said:

You don't combine what you make and what the joint sponsor makes.  If you don't make the poverty guidelines requirement than you need a  joint sponsor that meets the requirements regardless of what you make.

edit:  for a single joint sponsor 125% would be at least $20,575

5 hours ago, aleful said:
  Reveal hidden contents

hi

exactly, the joint sponsor can't combine income with yours, he or she has to earn income enough over the 125% to cover him or herself, plus family If they have one plus the beneficiary. the same as you do

for the single person not enough to cover 2 people, himself and the beneficiary

To cover himself and ONLY plus the benificiary? Not the kids, [or me]? (who are already American) So if I have a joint sponsor with a household size of 1 they need to earn 125% of the FPG for a household size of 2?  Which is $25,025. Two because of the beneficiary.

4 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Find a joint sponsor who IS qualified.  The only way you can combine income is with a qualifying household member.

If we intend to live with the joint sponsor, then can we combine income? And they ignore my income? Then what's the point of multiple joint sponsors? If they only consider the income of the highest earning joint sponsor.

Edited by Reuven

Timeline
55 minutes ago, Reuven said:

To cover himself and ONLY plus the benificiary? Not the kids, [or me]? (who are already American) So if I have a joint sponsor with a household size of 1 they need to earn 125% of the FPG for a household size of 2?  Which is $25,025. Two because of the beneficiary.

If we intend to live with the joint sponsor, then can we combine income? And they ignore my income? Then what's the point of multiple joint sponsors? If they only consider the income of the highest earning joint sponsor.

A household size of 2 is under $21,000.  That's a single person plus the intending immigrant.  If he is not already a "qualifying" member of the same household as the petitioner, you cannot combine income from him.  There are not "multiple joint sponsors".  How would you both "ignore your income" AND "combine income"?  Please clarify.

If "WE" intend to live with this potential "household member" then all of "WE" count in the household, including YOUR children.

Start by studying the I-864 instructions and interpret them "literally", not "conveniently".

Sounds like you need a qualified joint sponsor, who is not part of YOUR household, and has enough income to cover their own household plus your spouse.  Yes, REALLY.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

A household size of 2 is under $21,000.  That's a single person plus the intending immigrant.  If he is not already a "qualifying" member of the same household as the petitioner, you cannot combine income from him.  There are not "multiple joint sponsors".  How would you both "ignore your income" AND "combine income"?  Please clarify.

If "WE" intend to live with this potential "household member" then all of "WE" count in the household, including YOUR children.

Start by studying the I-864 instructions and interpret them "literally", not "conveniently".

Sounds like you need a qualified joint sponsor, who is not part of YOUR household, and has enough income to cover their own household plus your spouse.  Yes, REALLY.

(I mean they ignore my income if it is not enough and only look at the joint sponsor's income.)

By "plus your spouse" does that mean they need to have enough income to cover their household and the beneficiary only. Not enough income to cover also me and the children. So if they are single they would only need to make $25,025 (125% household of 2) to cover themselves and the beneficiary, not $36,775 (125% household of 5) to cover themselves, the beneficiary and me and the children?

To be clear, they are a household of 1 but since they are joint sponsoring the beneficiary, they need to provide an income for a household of 2. Right? With my self and the kids not being included in that calculation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

for immigration purposes, the household size minimum is 2

the joint sponsor and the beneficiary, for 2 it's $20,575

$25, 975 is for 3

you can download the i864P  Poverty guidelines from the uscis webpage

www.uscis.gov

and find the i864P for 2018

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Reuven said:

(I mean they ignore my income if it is not enough and only look at the joint sponsor's income.)

By "plus your spouse" does that mean they need to have enough income to cover their household and the beneficiary only. Not enough income to cover also me and the children. So if they are single they would only need to make $25,025 (125% household of 2) to cover themselves and the beneficiary, not $36,775 (125% household of 5) to cover themselves, the beneficiary and me and the children?

To be clear, they are a household of 1 but since they are joint sponsoring the beneficiary, they need to provide an income for a household of 2. Right? With my self and the kids not being included in that calculation.

Your joint sponsor must have enough income for their own household size plus your spouse.

Where your children would count is if you were combining income with a household member.  If you do that, then ALL the household is counted as the household.

Please read the instructions to understand what a qualified household member is.  In general, it's parent or sibling.  The joint sponsor you mentioned does not qualify based on the income you indicated.  Even if they WERE a qualifying household member, your combined income would not be enough for household of 5.

FIND another joint sponsor who IS qualified.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
14 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Your joint sponsor must have enough income for their own household size plus your spouse.

Where your children would count is if you were combining income with a household member.  If you do that, then ALL the household is counted as the household.

Please read the instructions to understand what a qualified household member is.  In general, it's parent or sibling.  The joint sponsor you mentioned does not qualify based on the income you indicated.  Even if they WERE a qualifying household member, your combined income would not be enough for household of 5.

FIND another joint sponsor who IS qualified.

"Your joint sponsor must have enough income for their own household size plus your spouse."

This is what I wanted to be sure of! That makes sense. Thanks for your help guys.

8 hours ago, Reuven said:

"Your joint sponsor must have enough income for their own household size plus your spouse."

This is what I wanted to be sure of! That makes sense. Thanks for your help guys.

Since your are the petitioner you also need to include your own form with required documents even if you don't meed the poverty guidelines.  You and the joint sponsor submit separate forms each with their supporting documents.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.