VALU

Preparing for the NVC Stage - What do I need to do/Tips?

18 posts in this topic

Greetings All, 

I just got approved today (PD 3/30/2018 - Potomac Center). I understand that it takes about 2-6 weeks to hear from NVC but I want to fill out everything so I can send it off as soon as I get the go ahead from the NVC. What do I need to complete? Any other tips?

It will take few weeks to send from USCIS than week to receive by Nvc after that upto 8 weeks to get your case number. So mean time you can apply for police certificate  but still you need to check since in some countries police certificate expired very quickly than others. Make sure you have valid passport. You need to select your sponsor. Filling form should not take more than few days so I think it's to early. You need to speak to your sponsor and make sure he/ she got all documents ready once you got your case number. Also check DS 260 form and relevant information which you might need later on.

Edited by Reqahmed

1 hour ago, hf2018 said:

look for the sample DS-260 form online from the DOS, so you know what info you will need. Other than that, start collecting all of your documents and have them on hand.

Great thanks!

1 hour ago, Reqahmed said:

It will take few weeks to send from USCIS than week to receive by Nvc after that upto 8 weeks to get your case number. So mean time you can apply for police certificate  but still you need to check since in some countries police certificate expired very quickly than others. Make sure you have valid passport. You need to select your sponsor. Filling form should not take more than few days so I think it's to early. You need to speak to your sponsor and make sure he/ she got all documents ready once you got your case number. Also check DS 260 form and relevant information which you might need later on.

Ok good to know. Who needs to get a police report? The Beneficiary (and not Petitioner), right?

16 minutes ago, DiegoRlz said:

we are in the same stage and same days too. lets keep in touch to exchange information, so far i just knew what the guys above already said 

Oh that's awesome! I just spent a few hours researching and printing stuff to read, sample forms etc. I will review everything this weekend to make sure I understand everything as I wait. Let's keep in touch for sure! 🙂

Don’t forget the fees. First fee is the Affidavit of Support for $120 and then the IV fee for $325. You can also start the Affidavit of Support online and save it until you’re ready to send. 

If your beneficiary is from Santo Domingo make sure when you send the birth certificate it says “Inextensa” my in-laws sent us “Extracto” and a checklist was received because of that. Apparently the one that’s says Extracto is use only for local and they didn’t know. 

Good Luck

12 minutes ago, VALU said:

Oh that's awesome! I just spent a few hours researching and printing stuff to read, sample forms etc. I will review everything this weekend to make sure I understand everything as I wait. Let's keep in touch for sure! 🙂

yes my wife called the nvc 3 times so far asking some things about the form and they told her they can not give her legal advice , that everything is in the website. i wanted to know (in my case we have a co-sponsor) so i think there is another form i have to fill out. And you are accurate  about the nvc processing times, although when my wife called they told her once they recieve all the documents it just takes them 3 weeks, i am not so sure about it. And the gap of time for the interview depends on the embassy in your country.

Edited by DiegoRlz

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Congratulations to you both at the NVC stage. 

Join the NVC October 2018 filers thread and be an A student by mastering this second phase of the immigration process known as the NVC stage to avoid delays.

All the best..!

Edited by Abies

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
2 hours ago, PPM said:

i received a message that my case was sent to the department of state for visa processing...no idea what this is ...do you know what it is the meaning?

Your case is getting transferred to the National Visa Center for consular processing. This is normal.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

3 hours ago, PPM said:

i received a message that my case was sent to the department of state for visa processing...no idea what this is ...do you know what it is the meaning?

It means that your petition has been approved and you are moving on to the next phase of the immigration process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.