MVR

How soon a new LPR may file petition for his/her spouse

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
3 hours ago, MVR said:

I think this is kind of illegal way when people work with tourist visa. I didn't hear anything about work visa for truck driver. 

I don't care about money or job for them for 2 years. I will support them for that period. 

You will be supporting them for much longer. Two years out of their remaining working life is a lot.

4 hours ago, MVR said:

I think this is kind of illegal way when people work with tourist visa. I didn't hear anything about work visa for truck driver. 

I don't care about money or job for them for 2 years. I will support them for that period. 

Be prepared for this sort of chain migration being cancelled under any immigration reform (son becomes USC and petitions mother, mother petitions husband, etc). 

Have you researched how much medical coverage will be for the two of them? They won’t qualify for Medicaid as LPRs.  

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He is a truck driver, I know it is hard work and long hours but is reasonably well paid.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
13 hours ago, MVR said:

2. He has a visitor visa and would like to come with her for couple months while they do petition. Then they are planning to go back to stay together. Does it going to be a problem for him to cross the border with his wife who becomes a LPR? He was in U.S. for 4 times already,  each time for 2 months.

Just a FYI, only USCs are guaranteed entry to the US. CBP even has the authority to deny entry to LPRs in certain scenarios. A re-entry permit is a document that substantiates that she is leaving temporarily, but that it is her intention to return after her absence. Below are some criteria CBP can use to determine abandonment of LPR status, https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence:

Abandoning Permanent Resident Status

You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:

• Move to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless you intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
  • ---The reason for your trip;
  • ---How long you intended to be absent from the United States;
  • ---Any other circumstances of your absence; and
  • ---Any events that may have prolonged your absence.
  • ---Note: Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

I would second the suggestion of looking into a possibly visa for his work truck driving. I know certain parts of the country are really looking for truck drivers. With the rise in popularity of online shopping, there’s a growing demand. Brings to mind the billboard I used to pass on the way to work for a place advertising $5,000 sign-on bonuses for new drivers. If some places are willing to throw that kinda cash at ya, I don’t see it as a stretch to think some places would be utilizing outside labor. 

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Timeline
7 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

No, it’s not illegal. It may be H2B seasonal. Just because you didn’t hear about something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Spot-on. Looks like it is the H-2B. @MVR, here is a link with info: https://www.visaplace.com/blog-immigration-law/us-work-visa/truck-drivers-work-visa-3-easy-steps/

Thanks to everyone. Really appreciate your help.

I didn't know about H2B visa. That might be a good way for some people. Still not for us, here is why:

1. You have to find an employer who will sponsor your visa which is not easy. Found some messages on another forum where some person send resume to many companies (he said a hundred) and nobody want to do that for truck drivers. I personally was talking with 3 companies last year and they told me here is no way to work for him as a truck driver. Probably just do not want to do it. Still probably possible if find the company but not for us (see #2).

2. I've checked here https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-2b-temporary-non-agricultural-workers and found that H2B only for qualified countries and our country (Kazakhstan) is not in the list.

So, will think about re-entry permit or more often visits during 2 years of waiting.

Timeline
29 minutes ago, MVR said:

Still not for us, here is why

Good call. Even though he could qualify in theory (see below), chances of approval would be extremely low.

A national from a country not on the list may only be the beneficiary of an approved H-2B petition if the Secretary of Homeland Security determines that it is in the U.S. interest for him or her to be the beneficiary of such a petition. (See 8 CFR 214.2(h)(2)(iii) and 8 CFR 214.2(h)(6)(i)(E)(2) for additional evidentiary requirements.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is he aware of what he needs to do to drive in the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.