JamesTS

Is it possible to marry on a J-1?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sho Ishizaki said:

Yes, it can work. I know someone who came here on a j1 visa and married someone after her internship was over then adjusted her status. I think she met him through a friend while in her internship . i dont think she wanted to go back home. Her intentions whether inlove or to not go home isnt up to my judgment, but its currently working for her. 

Goodluck! 

It worked for her because she didn’t have intent to marry and adjust before even being granted the visa. OP has not even been granted a visa and is already wanting to marry and adjust. That is 100% fraud. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We have all heard stories of couples who were able to "beat the system" and do what the OP is asking about, so that they can be together sooner and not have to wait a year or more to live together in the US.  These couples were lucky that they did not get caught.  It's a question of how much are you willing to risk a permanent or ten-year ban from entering the US?  The USC is your boyfriend, so that will have to be disclosed and is likely to cause denial, or you could lie and not mention your boyfriend and take the risk of getting caught.   The CO could determine fraud, or if you get a visa, the CBP officer at the POE could catch you, and the consequences of that could mean that your only option would be to try and live together in Australia or some other non-US country, with no chance of a K1 or CR1 visa, ever.  Do you want to risk that?  Given your background it seems likely that you would be denied on the visa shopping history alone.  For now, visit each other in other countries outside of the US, and if you become serious and decide to get married, file for K1 or CR1 and wait like everybody else.  Good luck.  Being so far apart sucks, but you can make it work with frequent visits in romantic places. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Yep if you have no intent it's legal but seriously... take me as an example I married on a J1. But i left the country afterwards and applied for CR1. You might ask why? For exactly the reason I got my J1. I had ties I had to organize/cut loose before. So basically you only get a J1 if you have good reason to return to your country. Your question already shows you don't have such. Bad chances for J1

Thank you all SO much for your knowledge. I obviously had no idea about the implications of applying for a J-1 with an American boyfriend. 

I most definitely do not want to risk a ban or another denial, so we will pursue the K-1 or CR1 path once ready. 

This forum has been so incredibly helpful, as I've had immigration attorneys steer me in the wrong direction in the past.  

Thank you!! 

23 hours ago, TNJ17 said:

Apply for a K1 instead of a J1. 

They would not apply for a K-1 if they’re not talking about marriage. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread locked for TOS Violations and as the OP has received all the advice members can give. Do not restart this thread.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.