Tilia

Having kids only means you have sex.

84 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

It would be highly discriminatory against people who can not have children.

^

My husband and I haven't had any children, I can't have children - it hasn't been an issue for me yet in this whole process.

AOS (from K-1)

Sent - April 23, 2014
NOA - May 13, 2014
Biometrics - June 6, 2014
EAD/AP Approved - July 18, 2014
EAD/AP Received - July 26, 2014
Waiver Letter Received - August 17, 2014 (dated August 13, 2014)
SR Placed Online - February 14, 2015
EAD/AP Renewal Sent - March 20, 2015
EAD/AP Renewal Received - March 25, 2015
I-485 Approved - March 28, 2015 (e-mail notification)
SR Response Rec'd - March 28, 2015 (dated March 24, 2015)
Card Production Notice - March 31, 2015

Card Mailed - April 7, 2015

Card Rec'd - April 9, 2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, MissSarah said:

^

My husband and I haven't had any children, I can't have children - it hasn't been an issue for me yet in this whole process.

I USCIS officers probably have enough sense to realize that the absence of children does not mean a relationship is not real. But I don’t think having children means absolutely nothing to them either. It’s a balance. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

We are gay... so yea...no discrimination but again us perhaps saying "We plan on adopting one day if we can be together" wouldn't have any leverage either on the process when we went through it. So people having kids and using that as "evidence" or proof, is discriminatory against all gay couples then. So see, shouldn't be used and really isn't.... I  couldn't care about that personally, we are more than happy with our overly needy akita anyways.

one.jpg

two.jpg

I would disagree because each couple is unique and has a different set of evidence. Taking into consideration the fact that my spouse and I have a child isn’t discriminating against you and your partner. If they took issue with you not having a child then yes - discriminatory. But everyone has different things about their life that USCIS will use a factor to determine the relationship’s legitimacy. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Mrsjackson said:

I would disagree because each couple is unique and has a different set of evidence. Taking into consideration the fact that my spouse and I have a child isn’t discriminating against you and your partner. If they took issue with you not having a child then yes - discriminatory. But everyone has different things about their life that USCIS will use a factor to determine the relationship’s legitimacy. 

Nope I didn't, don't worry. We aren't that type that are the "we have to be equal" and scream and stuff. Nor do we want kids. To each their own. We just like quiet times. So no discrimination/offense or what not felt on my own end honestly, was just commenting as to how one poster couldn't have kids and so could be seen as discriminatory to use kids as proof, so I used the gay reference as another comparison, that is all. :D

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Me and my husband do not have kids because mother nature did not bless us yet and we may ended up taking an alternative treatment (God willing).

The US government/USCIS/whoever is in charge can not and won't discriminate a petitioner/beneficiary couple for the mere fact that they don't have nor CAN'T have kids or simply Do NOT want kids. A child is an evidence only IF you also have other strong evidence of your legitimate relationship. A child alone is not a proof. 

During my citizenship interview the officer did not even care to ask if we had kids. We had tons of other solid proof, plus being married for 6 years already.

OP, believe it or not there are people so desperate to enter the US that they would be willing to fall pregnant to prove anything. Just like there are people so desperate to land on american soil that would be willing to scam a US citizen just for a GC. It happens everyday.

Edited by Sunnyland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Good thread/topic. I would like to think that the recitals directly off of the USCIS website, alone, would lead to less bad advice on VJ in the future. Then again, VJ advice givers can be a stubborn bunch.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Having kids SHOULD mean all of the things you mentioned. Unfortunately, as far as USCIS is concerned, the birth of a child is not conclusive evidence of a relationship. All it proves is that two people slept together. Documents like family health insurance, shared medical bills, school records and emergency contacts, pictures over time etc showing family life together are a different story. Maybe that continued documentation is what those USCIS officers you mentioned were saying. A birth certificate alone doesn't show a relationship beyond the biological. Even people outside of immigration can testify to that - I've met several people who had their dads on their birth certificates that have no relationship with the child's mom.  Having a child to help prove relationship to get to the US is not as crazy as some of the things lots of people do.

If kids were the strongest evidence of a relationship, my husband and I are out of luck, because we don't have any yet! 😜

I see that sometimes USCIS requests birth certificates of children born to the couple, but only as supporting evidence. A birth certificate of a child wouldn't carry someone's case - but for those who don't submit one (like us -no kids!) are approved fine just the same.

3 hours ago, dawning said:

I also find it interesting that OP has had an answer from two USCIS officers that children are excellent evidence, and yet posters here continue to insist they aren't.  Were the officers lying?

Again, context is critical. Co-parenting a child with a spouse with naturally show evidence of a bona fide marriage. That's likely what the IOs were referring to.

If one were to ask if just having a kid alone is good evidence, I would tend to err that they would answer differently.

The world isn't black and white...context helps navigate the shades of gray.

2 hours ago, andy78 said:

On something like the I-751 instructions, for example, the first example listed in the "Evidence of Relationship" section is:

- Birth certificates of children born during the time of this marriage, if any.

When I received a generic RFE in response to my removal of conditions petition, the first example of evidence it asked for is:

- Children as a result of your marriage / Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to the marriage.

In conclusion, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services says that having children is considered evidence of a good faith marriage.

Alternatively, they could also be checking if the child is not one partner's biological child (i.e. conceived via an affair).

More often, they want to see evidence of co-parenting the child.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, Ontarkie said:

You may want to read in the Effects forum where the USC parent  was completely abandoned along with the child.  The immigrant parent to never look back once they got what they wanted. That child was nothing more then a pawn. This was not only by a so called father but mothers have also ditched their child when they got what they were after. 

When it came to the N400 interview my daughter was 8 months old. Guess what they  asked for?  More proof of relationship other than her. Joint car insurance had more weight than her birth certificate. 

Curious how you know it had more weight.  Did they tell you that?

I'm also pretty sure you can read about people who abandoned their joint checking account, insurance, rental agreement, and so forth.  Probably more common?

Edited by dawning

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, dawning said:

Curious how you know it had more weight.  Did they tell you that?

I'm also pretty sure you can read about people who abandoned their joint checking account, insurance, rental agreement, and so forth.  Probably more common?

Yes she came right out and said it. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.